Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - line and instrument level output on different presets?

da_fino_703

That’s a global setting. You can add a lot of gain to presets by using the Level parameter in the output block or adding Gain blocks as needed, though.

What’s the context in which you would need both, though? It’s a global setting because for a given gig, you’d have the Stomp connected one way, and you typically don’t want huge variation in level from one preset to the other.

Thanks.

The context is that how I can set up when playing live in different venues is dictated by what equipment they have. So for some I'll be going into the front of a house amp if it doesn't have an FX loop (using effects only), or others I'll be going into the FX return if it does have one (with an amp model), other others I might be going direct to PA. I have different presets for those different scenarios so ideally would want the levels saved to the presets so I don't have to change the global setting each time. Not like it's a major hassle to do it, it's just the sort of thing I forget to do then wonder why the sound is wrong! 

That makes sense about the output block level parameters though. Are there set DB levels within those that would constitute line level vs instrument level or is it just a question of cranking it until it sounds loud enough?

I believe you could do that. I think the line level is +12db over the mic level, so you could set the global one way and adjust your patches by changing the level of the output block. That should not change your tone.  Somebody please confirm the 12db, I'm not sure about that.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:20 PM, PaulTBaker said:

I believe you could do that. I think the line level is +12db over the mic level, so you could set the global one way and adjust your patches by changing the level of the output block. That should not change your tone.  Somebody please confirm the 12db, I'm not sure about that.

Thanks, I will try that

On 5/26/2022 at 12:20 PM, PaulTBaker said:

Mic level is actually quite a bit lower than line level. It can be as low as -60dBfs. But the difference between line and instrument level is more like 18dB.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 12:30 AM, phil_m said:

Mic level is actually quite a bit lower than line level. It can be as low as -60dBfs. But the difference between line and instrument level is more like 18dB.

It's instrumental and line level I'd be switching between so thanks for confirming

On 5/27/2022 at 12:28 PM, DunedinDragon said:

Why not simply add a final send block set to Instrument level on each preset and set your normal 1/4" global output to Line level, then just plug into whichever one is needed for that gig?

Ah that sounds like a good idea!