Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Pre sale Question

markwesse

Hi All

Been a long time user of Line 6 since early 90s...need to replace my hd500 as the hardware is failing ie switches arent responding etc and Im ready to move up to a helix

I use 3 guitars live as well as guitar synth hooked up to wavestation etc; Elec goes into guitar in of course, classical is a K&K trinity type pickup and goes to Aux and the acoustic has a custom condenser mic into the mic in.

Im now also moving the guitar synth to software so I can ditch the hex pickup etc so this need simply an audio feed to convert to midi

To complete the migration and simplify things, I need the feed to FOH to be 

L&R XLR out - Standard stuff

FX Insert 1 L&R out to FOH ie an extra output for separate mix levels

This is because I also include looping wtih synth etc which I want the engineer to have separate control of

I have read the manual and the answer to my question is not clear; I need to know if helix can route (via usb)  a dry signal on 1 usb channel and a stereo effected helix output to another usb channel pair to my connected iPad/Surface for external midi guitar synth (dry using midi guitar/jam origin and external looper) and return the signal back as a stereo buss into helix which is then routed out an fix send pair? As per the FOH above

Please see rough pic

L6 Routing.jpg

When using Helix as your AI (ASIO Device) USB 1/2 mirrors the signal at the Main Outputs (without USB 1/2 from your DAW - see below).

USB 7 and 8 are DRY (unprocessed - Helix Input to Output) by default and can be assigned to separate Inputs.

For example, USB 7=Guitar; USB 8=Aux or MIC.

The signal from your DAW (or whatever) if routed to USB 1/2 will by default be routed directly (unprocessed) to the Main Outputs.

You can select 1/4, XLR or both (multi).

While your Electric via the Guitar Input and your Acoustic via AUX can be used either/or/both by selecting MULTI for the Input Block, your MIC signal is separate and would need to be assigned a separate Input Block, splitting a Path which is probably OK as you'd likely want different FX on it. If you split Path A this can be returned to that Path, assigned a separate Output Block or kept split and brought in either through the Path B Input Block or a separate Input block on Path B, splitting that Path and either returned within Path B or routed to a separate Output Block from Path B.

NOTE: Since you only get one split per Path splitting a Path means you can't parallel process FX on that Path.

You can't route a USB signal directly to a Send.

If you don't want the return from your looper to go to the Main Outs you could use USB 3/4 or 5/6 to send from your Looper then assign those USB channels to a separate Input Block and place a SEND Block in that Path or assign that Path's Output Block to a SEND pair.

Hope I've answered your questions.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys

Im just downloading the editor...hopefully that will make your info clearer...hopefully runs in offline mode without a helix :-\

The inputs are exclusive...so each preset can manage separately based on that

EDIT: Ok missed opportunity on that one

Cant think of any editor of NI that doesnt let you load up offline to check it out.

Ah well...anyone have Helix native they want to sell? I must have missed out previously as I thought there was a special on it for 199?

It might be easier/flexible and easier to just go the mini pc path Im thinking...and just host it in Live

On 7/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, markwesse said:

Thanks guys

Im just downloading the editor...hopefully that will make your info clearer...hopefully runs in offline mode without a helix :-\

The inputs are exclusive...so each preset can manage separately based on that

EDIT: Ok missed opportunity on that one

Cant think of any editor of NI that doesnt let you load up offline to check it out.

Ah well...anyone have Helix native they want to sell? I must have missed out previously as I thought there was a special on it for 199?

It might be easier/flexible and easier to just go the mini pc path Im thinking...and just host it in Live

Hi,

I guess you have realised that HX Edit needs to be connected to a hardware unit to function. If you want to start to familiarise yourself with Helix editing, you could download the 15 day trial version of Helix Native plug-in and have a better idea of how it works within a DAW. If you purchase any Helix unit you can also buy Helix Native at the discount price of $99.99. If you are looking for someone selling their copy you need to check the dedicated Helix Native forum.

https://line6.com/support/forum/90-helix-native/

As noted by “rd2rk” in the post above, your USB routing options for both processed and dry signals are all available via 8 channels. The Helix also can be configured as 4 separate stereo channels of audio, depending on DSP usage. Also, with regard to the Behringer FCB1010 you mentioned in another post, there are lots of people using those with Helix hardware and Native software without issues.

As you have previously been using your POD HD500 with all your equipment, I would venture to suggest that you should have no problems with the Helix.  

Helix = more = better.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Again, thanks so much

HD Edit can easily work offline...HX Edit is a surprise

I ended up buying a second hand one...got the guy to test the mic in/phantom which to his amazement was fried; I warned him and he tested before bringing it a long way to get the cash but im ok with surface mount pga (with help from a friend)

As mentioned, mic is + 48v is super important as when on steel string, I must have something to plug this into

D7Xj08jF7CJy2AhVruIalzaVBY1djybDMEwENiVx_UDiPZLPaGsox8et5DhLReYsoqIMGBMRqXBau0CuL_WzEBTH5y8txnJofXBINhyJmgKlx_7L_3QMqGhUJ_e-WTB_xzpFutvumf6PfWR2L7A7DVuKxbtshtsyLTgThEX1xxNfgCF_lE6JD2QsHYbWVhSs_g1N7up0_glum1L3MfHXkvHWFpK0loJyAGTE934wiBZlWnFdp2tLa9srPC0uElG-nggeH3ATucQCDcbHBI1xVgfFGaJqXFBTZHt6ey2nFOQZZ-gcDGgrtSLgMIPmFll4M0nR50ThVaXLNCUxqDS2p_Cncoq80fHL1dqpAKQOHnKBLXerpzN4p58EMYy4UauxK8IlucMKkmIFewkaVihsbjAaNiRxcs6OgSoJLMBA4vPKnrZHDoPZfnoiAka632QcnMbnK2_jx85qMVg_Qz5_TYeovt2aMj7qvHSY3CwwZBLQuD4MdTTjsAOcVGfxdkaHghD8ABbCrtymfBLnFhZ1hpwK4KyH0FKYd8q7tlqsP2XNPxX3ZqhrXIbzkNHUVajXp9kejLPh5-efHb6Xr6-obxwVo6bXrEeyiQgvEKdCEUCMkeELKw1cUq4-1IiZ9tXBDCf2AfYlpW-yT0E0OFFy1x3RIcpC15kPfQ4NLgL7aF2fXfb2xqf6RvzPgarZwUCqqJnUuwUavmbKbKP_nKk7i3wiMg0Qk8EuQ_hkUnTYKMKW7e64dZJuAvGgSmz-CFg0YZTzifB4AkVnuOREv4Arjyep5GSMWQEXEw=w884-h663-no?authuser=0

and I have tried everything from Taylor on board, LR Bags Anthem, IR Acoustic Stage...well too many to name and I can actually use this in the studio...so its nice to have that live (wrong aim in that pic)

Just working on the patch and seemed to do it pretty easily

One thing I find a bit annoying is that Im use to multi behaviour on a foot switch, well just 3 basics

Quick press

Double Press

Hold

I can see it has 2 of those in command centre but no multi state for stomps etc or double click to go to default

Also has legacy fx but no legacy amps...was totally happy with what I had on HD500 and will obviously add a couple of new ones...but really, I only use 3 models and variations of those...that is MORE than enough for a couple of hours of impro :-)

Ah well...always a compromise but it certainly has the routing and inputs now...well when I fix; does anyone know of any tips to make the 48v more robust? I have been hot plugging for 40 years and NEVER had an issue (obviously always mute)...but to be that sensitive and Im using high end cables etc (Analysis Plus Pro Oval)