Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing for Recording

CourtlandAdams

Hi all!

Wondering if someone more experienced with the Helix might be able to give me some advice on this please. In the studio recording next week and, although I've recorded with the Helix before, I've never had the luxury of being able to reamp etc. The plan for our session is to be able to use cab sims on the Helix, and to also reamp in the real world. Looking at my routing, I'm not sure quite how I can route my presets so that I can have one set of stereo outputs before the Helix amp, and another set of stereo outputs after the Helix amp. I've popped a screenshot in with this in case it helps to see it. Does anyone have any ideas? If not, is there any other way of doing it?

Thanks in advance! 

Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 17.05.15.png

IF you are using Helix as your AI (ASIO Device in your DAW):

Use the Cab Sim/IR in Helix to Direct Monitor (no latency) to your studio amp while recording.

Record from USB 1/2 (processed Helix track), Track Monitor switch OFF.

Create other tracks to record from USB 7/8, Track Monitor switch OFF. 

That's your unprocessed DI track(s).

Create other tracks for REAMPING. Put Helix Native and/or whatever else you want to use for processing there.

Route the DI Tracks to the REAMP tracks.

If you're NOT using Helix as your AI, Direct Monitor as above and take the Main Outputs (XLR) to a "Processed" Track.

Place a SEND Block just after the Input Block and use that SEND for your DI track.

In either case, if you're using an expression pedal for anything, don't forget to record a MIDI track to use along with your DI track and re-amping sims.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, CourtlandAdams said:

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then you might find it beneficial to watch this video about this subject.

Hope this helps/makes sense.