Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just got an old variax. What software do I use om 2022 to play with it?

Use the original Variax Workbench software, not Workbench HD. It’s available on the Downloads page; scroll down to the bottom of the middle (software) field to find it.

You will need the Variax Workbench interface device to connect your guitar to your computer.

https://shop.line6.com/accessories/guitar-accessories/variax-vdi-usb-interface-kit.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, sounds like you have the 500 (just like me). You need Java Runtime Engine (at least v.6) installed and the Workbench USB interface. Then you might install Workbench and have years of fun with the model editing. I put Ghost piezos and a high-end Warmoth neck on my guitar. The Ghost piezos allow grounding which rids you of the

character of the L.R. Baggs piezos. A new neck and locking tuners was of course a huge improvment. Bought this guitar new in 2003 and it has been running without since. Try to find some user models out there, there are tons of them.

variax500.jpg

Using the latest Java Runtime on two different Windows 10 PCs has worked for me with both Workbench (non HD, for a 700 Acoustic) and Line 6 Edit (for a Pod XT Live).

Details:

1. Before installing Workbench: From here (https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp), download the Windows Offline version that is *not* 64-bit. Install it.

2. Run the Workbench installer. When it gets to the screen where Java is listed as a required prerequisite, uncheck all Java-related entries. Then continue with the install.