Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Random observation regarding stomp boxes

boynigel

I just found an old sweetwater catalog from 2007.  It had 13 pages of effects pedals, including multi-effectors, loopers, acoustic and bass pedals, in addition to all the usual guitar pedals.

Fast-forward to the sweetwater catalog that showed up yesterday.  All the same types of pedals listed above now take up 43 pages!

We all know there was a pedal boom, but now will there be a bust?  It wouldn't surprise me.  Maybe we're already starting to see it- just look at the recent demise of fulltone and digitech.

Everyone and their brother makes an overdrive pedal these days.  If everyone stopped making OD pedals today (to name but one pedal type), as in not introducing anything new, we'd still be set for a lifetime.  gonna be interesting to watch what happens, especially considering the state of this crap-economy.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:05 AM, boynigel said:

I just found an old sweetwater catalog from 2007.  It had 13 pages of effects pedals, including multi-effectors, loopers, acoustic and bass pedals, in addition to all the usual guitar pedals.

Fast-forward to the sweetwater catalog that showed up yesterday.  All the same types of pedals listed above now take up 43 pages!

We all know there was a pedal boom, but now will there be a bust?  It wouldn't surprise me.  Maybe we're already starting to see it- just look at the recent demise of fulltone and digitech.

Everyone and their brother makes an overdrive pedal these days.  If everyone stopped making OD pedals today (to name but one pedal type), as in not introducing anything new, we'd still be set for a lifetime.  gonna be interesting to watch what happens, especially considering the state of this crap-economy.

Every market gets saturated at some point... and the inevitable self-correction follows. Doesn't much matter what kind of product it is. Even if the economy was robust and booming, there are only so many guitar players out there in the wild. Whenever you have ever-increasing competition for what is basically a fixed pile of money, sooner or later something has to give. Hence the demise of Fulltone and Digitech.

Plus, a good percentage of guitarists are stubborn as mules and resistant to changing anything in their rig, and/or they're dirt poor... either way, they're sticking with the same gear for years on end, lol...

• 2 weeks later...