Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix LT as an audio interface for a live setup

mahnkiman

I'm looking at upgrading my recording and live performance setup, and the Helix LT is what I'm interested in.  Since you can use the Helix LT as an audio interface, I might be able to streamline my setup even further since I wouldn't have to run a separate audio interface.  For context, I use a laptop that runs a DAW (REAPER).

Requirements:

1. Amp modeling and FX loop (no brainer, the Helix does this)
  2. Output for a mono click track from my DAW (for the band's in-ear monitors).
  3. Output for a mono backing track from my DAW.
  4. MIDI output from my DAW to the Helix to change footswitches, presets, at certain points in certain songs.

It seems like the Helix LT provides enough inputs and outputs for this.  This attached shows what I THINK this should look like, but I could use help confirming this.  I'm thinking the click track could come from the XLR mono output, or the #2 send, but I'm not sure if this is supported or not.  Thanks!

Helix Example.jpg

Assuming that you're using Reaper's metronome for the click track, Reaper will send that to its Master Outs (which will be USB1/2 by default) to the LT's Main Outs, either 1/4" or XLR. IDK what you're using to get the Click/Backing Track to the rest of the band, so I've attached two example presets. 

Mahnkiman1 uses the 1/4" outs for the Click/Backing track (USB1/2 routed to 1/4" in Globals) and uses Send 2 for your Amp Return in a Path B using an A/B Split panned 100% B.

Mahnkiman 2 uses the standard 4cm method of the 1/4" to the amp return, Y-split with USB1/2 routed to the XLRs in Globals for the Click/Backing Track.

Either one will get the guitar signal to Reaper on USB1/2 with a cab and prevent it from reaching the Main Outs where the Click/Backing track is routed.

Assuming (again) that you wouldn't be using both the Click Track and a Backing track at the same time, the Backing track can share the Main Outs with the Click.

mahnkiman1.hlx mahnkiman2.hlx

• Upvote 1

Since I'm doing pretty much the same as what you're doing I can only tell you the reasons I use a dedicated audio interface for my setup.  The key thing is that the backing track needs to be gain staged and mixed at the mixing board in a live performance along with all of the other live instruments and voices as if it were just another set of instruments to get the mix correct.  Additionally I've found it's pretty important in a lot of cases to favor one side or the other in the front speakers for some of the backing instruments to provide better definition and mix.  To me there's no real downside to using an audio interface because it's all setup on it's own standalone rack system.  It requires no separate power and is prewired such that it's a simple matter of plugging the USB into the laptop and running the two 1/4'" cables to their own dedicated inputs on the mixing board.

In terms of MIDI control I've separated all of that out into a separate Morningstar MC8 controller.  That's allowed me to not only control the Helix from the backing track, but also control other stage elements such as lights or videos from a single MIDI control track in the backing track.  In fact I never have to touch the Helix as a control surface since the MC8 coordinates all of the Helix preset changes along with the appropriate backing track and is used to start each song.  The only thing I use on the Helix during performance is the volume pedal.

• Upvote 2

@rd2rk - I can give this a shot once I actually have the Helix, but this confirms the setup is doable :)

@DunedinDragon - You bring up some good points about keeping a dedicated audio interface.  I haven't decided yet whether to ditch it and use the Helix for everything, or keep the functions separate.  But I can see the pros/cons a bit better now.

Thanks for your input!

On 11/3/2022 at 5:09 AM, DunedinDragon said:

Since I'm doing pretty much the same as what you're doing I can only tell you the reasons I use a dedicated audio interface for my setup.  The key thing is that the backing track needs to be gain staged and mixed at the mixing board in a live performance along with all of the other live instruments and voices as if it were just another set of instruments to get the mix correct.  Additionally I've found it's pretty important in a lot of cases to favor one side or the other in the front speakers for some of the backing instruments to provide better definition and mix.  To me there's no real downside to using an audio interface because it's all setup on it's own standalone rack system.  It requires no separate power and is prewired such that it's a simple matter of plugging the USB into the laptop and running the two 1/4'" cables to their own dedicated inputs on the mixing board.

In terms of MIDI control I've separated all of that out into a separate Morningstar MC8 controller.  That's allowed me to not only control the Helix from the backing track, but also control other stage elements such as lights or videos from a single MIDI control track in the backing track.  In fact I never have to touch the Helix as a control surface since the MC8 coordinates all of the Helix preset changes along with the appropriate backing track and is used to start each song.  The only thing I use on the Helix during performance is the volume pedal.

Wow, that is very cool!