Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nervous to update - a few questions?

lespool79

My first Helix had to be sent back to Sweetwater b/c of a USB computer connection issue so I am very sensitive to this thing being a pain in the rear end for anything computer related.  The replacement Helix however has connected and worked perfectly.  I say this b/c I hate the computer/firmware/connection aspect of this device but I know this thing is powerful and I want the most out of it. 

I am not one to tinker into the details of various cabs and mic placements.  I have about 75 presets that most of them are designed off just a few basic tones that I have created myself.  I'm in a cover band and gig weekly or every other week and these presets are different songs with snapshots.  I'm terrified that I will do this update, that I read amazing things about, and then it will change my tones and cause all sorts of trouble.

1.  will the new update change the current tones of the cabs that are in my current presets?

2.  if I download the new firmware is there a way to undo it and restore to a prior firmware backup just in case something dumb happens? (like a restore from backup?)

3.  if I dont update, is there a way that I can just keep my current version and HXEdit at their current versions and just quietly live off the grid (kidding) or will I eventually have to bite the bullet and do this update.

my dilemma here is that I'm not one to enjoy tinkering as I enjoy playing for crowds and if this causes me to have to redo a bunch of work and possibly have a panic that the Helix isn't gig ready... well that sucks.     Am I overreacting?

In order of importance:

3. Yes. You do not HAVE to update. Do you have a gig this weekend? If YES DON"T UPDATE.

2. Yes. Follow the directions. Make a backup. You CAN roll back to a previous version. If necessary, come back here and someone can explain the process. I've never needed to, and I've had mine since 2016.

1. No.

Wow I did it.  It was easy after I followed the directions.   Thanks again!  

All my presets are restored with no issue that I can see so far and I let the new factory 1 and factory 2 come from the update so it has the new cabs and tones.  Will be fun to play with.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:31 PM, lespool79 said:

Wow I did it.  It was easy after I followed the directions.   Thanks again!  

All my presets are restored with no issue that I can see so far and I let the new factory 1 and factory 2 come from the update so it has the new cabs and tones.  Will be fun to play with.  

Yay! Success! Welcome to v3.50 firmware.

if only everyone else followed the directions, and read the Release Notes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1