Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I have compared HXStomp to Tonex

pascalbabin

Hello all,

Edit 2: Ok I found out that I could match the quality of the Tonex plugin WITH NATIVE inside the DAW and not HXStomp directly. So it must be that the impedance of my 65ohm headphones is too low. I read it elsewhere that people are struggling with low impedance headphones on HX Stomp. To be continued…

Edit 1: in that (removed) post was stating that I could get the same amp model quality on Helix as Tonex. I now have an example where Helix just can’t keep up with Tonex, it’s the JCM800 black angus and thunder luck models. The Tonex JCM800 is just pure magic that I cannot match.

• pascalbabin changed the title to I have compared HXStomp to Tonex

I agree that Helix is capable of getting ALMOST any tone that you can find in ToneX.

As is Amplitube.

Keep in mind that regardless of anyone's years of experience, we all have different ears and different sensitivities when it comes to guitar tone and "feel".

That said - 

My main purpose when I bought ToneX was to be able to:

a) compare "profile/capture" tech to my Helix's capabilities, and

b) try amps I'll never own and that aren't modeled in Helix - specifically the fabled Dumble

My conclusions are that:

a) my Helix is more than sufficient to my needs, and

b) assuming the accuracy of the Dumble tone models I've tried, I have no clue as to why anyone would spend more than $399 on a Dumble, from a shop with a good returns policy

c) the world of "profiles/captures" is as much a rabbit hole as the world of IRs - I'm SOOO happy that L6 introduced the new cabs - in the words of the inimitable Tony the Tiger, they're GREAT!

Bottom Line - purpose (b) above remains, but my Helix ain't goin' nowhere!

On 2/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, pascalbabin said:

What do you think? Have you tried to compared yourself?

I don't compare anything to anything else. Two amps off the assembly line one serial number apart don't sound the same so what would I truly be comparing anything to? 

The only thing that matters is that I get great tones and like using the product. My Helix LT and my HX Stomp deliver on both. Admittedly, I was not a fan of the original cabinets so I used IR's but the new cabinets sound really good. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 12:16 PM, pascalbabin said:

What do you think? Have you tried to compared yourself?

Did you actually buy one and spend time comparing? I did. When comparing just an amp + cab alone, I find the TONEX pedal to be superior (tone and response) in the studio, and I'm able to dial in optimum results much quicker. Live (with band and venue acoustics), the difference is not as significant. And, of course, Helix has pre and post effects out the wazoo!

On 3/4/2023 at 11:20 AM, soundog said:

Did you actually buy one and spend time comparing? I did. When comparing just an amp + cab alone, I find the TONEX pedal to be superior (tone and response) in the studio, and I'm able to dial in optimum results much quicker. Live (with band and venue acoustics), the difference is not as significant. And, of course, Helix has pre and post effects out the wazoo!

Edit: Ok I found out that I could match the quality of the Tonex plugin WITH NATIVE inside the DAW and not HXStomp directly. So it must be that the impedance of my 65ohm headphones is too low. I read it elsewhere that people are struggling with low impedance headphones on HX Stomp. To be continued…

old post: 

Damn, I realized how much better the Tonex « black angus » jcm800 profile was, vs all I could try on the Hx Stomp. It’s kind of strange because I was able to match almost perfectly 99.5% that tone inside the daw using the same RECORDED di signal, but while playing, outside the daw, Tonex is head and shoulders above, under the fingers. Did you experience the same thing? I have a nice jcm800 hand wired/ non pcb 20w clone and I can’t even imagine how I could record it and make it sound that good. At least the black Angus tone comes with the free tonex version!

On 3/31/2023 at 4:24 PM, pascalbabin said:

Damn, I realized how much better the Tonex « black angus » jcm800 profile was, vs all I could try on the Hx Stomp. It’s kind of strange because I was able to match almost perfectly 99.5% that tone inside the daw using the same RECORDED di signal, but while playing, outside the daw, Tonex is head and shoulders above, under the fingers. Did you experience the same thing? I have a nice jcm800 hand wired/ non pcb 20w clone and I can’t even imagine how I could record it and make it sound that good. At least the black Angus tone comes with the free tonex version!

No. It's just different.

Funny thing, over on TGP several people have mentioned just how BAD they think the Black Angus is.

Different strokes...

On 3/4/2023 at 11:20 AM, soundog said:

Can you please share a preset that you consider to be superior on the Tonex? I am curious to hear it and I am up to the challenge to match it inside Native.

• Thanks 1