Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - No Sound

dcm_guitar

I bought a HX Effects and it is WEIRD.

Several of the presets do not work and several do.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason on which bank has functioning presets and which bank does not.  It os definitely not a 4CM issue.  I've had a Helix for a while and know how to edit the sounds and know how to set it up.  

The HX effects unit is running firmware version 3.11

Why do I keep buying Line 6 stuff?  Why?

I updated to firmware 3.5.  I did the powerup reset.  This, of course, accomplished nothing.

For example, the unit produces no sound for bank 01A Gtr Starter.  Bank 01B and 01C also do not work.  Bank 01D works exactly as it should.  I can not find a setting that is different from 01D versus 01A, 01B or 01C.

Again, buying Line6 gear is just a gamble.

On 3/10/2023 at 5:00 PM, dcm_guitar said:

I bought a HX Effects and it is WEIRD.

Several of the presets do not work and several do.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason on which bank has functioning presets and which bank does not.  It os definitely not a 4CM issue.  I've had a Helix for a while and know how to edit the sounds and know how to set it up.  

The HX effects unit is running firmware version 3.11

Why do I keep buying Line 6 stuff?  Why?

Because it's great stuff!

First - Perform a Factory Reset:

If it still doesn't work open a support ticket.

Next - Go to the L6 website>Downloads>HX Effects>HX Edit>Your OS

Download and install HX Edit v3.52.

When you open HX Edit it will prompt you to update the FW.

IMPORTANT!!!

FOLLOW ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS TO A T!!!

If the update fails you probably did something wrong.

Assuming that you did everything right and proper astral alignments, you should be good to go!

On 3/10/2023 at 5:21 PM, dcm_guitar said:

I updated to firmware 3.5.  I did the powerup reset.  This, of course, accomplished nothing.

For example, the unit produces no sound for bank 01A Gtr Starter.  Bank 01B and 01C also do not work.  Bank 01D works exactly as it should.  I can not find a setting that is different from 01D versus 01A, 01B or 01C.

If you followed all of the directions above, it should be working.

If you did not follow all of the instructions, do it again and follow the instructions I gave.

Any piece of HW can be a lemon, especially if bought used (you didn't specify).

I have had a Helix for 7 years and an HX Stomp for 3 years, and have only had one problem (a bad SPDIF board) that was fixed quickly and for free.

Your symptoms sound like operator error. If, after following my instructions, you still have a problem, come on back.

There's a post/thread somewhere that gives "In case of astral mis-alignment ;-)" instructions.

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:21 AM, dcm_guitar said:

Huh? If you think that then why take the chance?

Anyhow you didn’t mention if this is a new HXFX? If it is - no problem, simply return it under warranty for a replacement. If it’s a pre owned unit then try to resolve it yourself. Again,  you didn’t say what computer and operating system you’re using to perform the firmware update - it’s generally a big help when troubleshooting issues.

O.K., if you are in the situation mentioned by @rd2rk, in the post above,  regarding a “case of astral mis-alignment”, or you don’t live on a ley line, cannot contact your local shaman, and can’t get your chakras lined up - go here and follow the instructions given - exactly.

Do not deviate, go off piste, or think you may not need to do a particular thing - if you do, we cannot be responsible (not that I have have been), if everything goes FUBAR.

Basically, what you’re dealing with software, it’s not like having to “cut the blue wire”, and should all else fail - raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense.