Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multiple IRs and Phase

adam79

On 3/12/2023 at 4:38 AM, adam79 said:

Hey, when using multiple IRs in a preset, is there a way to check if they're in phase with each other?

Thanks.

Hi,

When you say “multiple IRs”, I guess what you actually mean is 2, i.e. one cab impulse on path 1A and a second on path 1B? 

If that’s the case, I’m not sure why they would be out of phase (there is no physical cable involved), but there is an option on the Merge block to invert the signal on path B - this usually set to “Normal”.

You didn’t mention which Helix product you have, this information is contained in the manual available for each model.

https://line6.com/support/manuals/#effects

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

I stole this from an audiophile website -

• If both your speakers are connected with the same polarity, and your speakers are equidistant from the listener, your system would be in-phase and in-polarity. You get a gold star!
  • If both your speakers are connected with the same polarity, and your speakers are not equidistant from the listener, your system would be out of phase and in polarity. Get out the tape measure.
  • If your speakers are not connected with the same polarity, and your speakers are equidistant from the listener, your system would be in phase and out of polarity. You're halfway there.
  • If your speakers are not connected with the same polarity, and your speakers are not equidistant from the listener, your system would be out of phase and out of polarity. You call yourself an audiophile? Put on the dunce hat and sit in the corner!
Edited by datacommando
Added bullet points

With the new Dual Cab block the cabs are in phase when both Delay parameters are set the same (i.e. 0.0ms).

With the Dual IR block (V3.5) the Delay parameter adjusts the phase between both IRs if needed.

You can set it by ear - when it sounds the most full, loud and clear both IRs are in phase.  Alternatively invert the phase of one of the IRs and scan Delay for the quietest signal.

If needed you can load the IR's in a DAW or wave editor (i.e. Audacity) and compare both waveforms: do their initial peaks align? - If not: the number of samples they are out of alignment is the number of Delay steps (0.02m steps) that you need to adjust (given the IRs are in 48kHz format).

• Like 1