Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Keep different instruments plugged in to helix for different patches (using Guitar In & Send/Return)

wood-n-wire

I use different instruments for different patches on the Helix. Sometimes quick instrument changes are needed so I don't want to fumble around with cables but would like to just pick the already plugged in instrument off the rack. I've been playing around with the send/return as an input on  a patch but get crickets. Does anyone know how to set up a patch using the Send/Return as input and XLR out for output? Most of my patches use Guitar in but would like to be able to keep a guitar and mandolin plugged in concurrently.

Thanks!

You can use Path B - set the input block as Return 1 (for example) and the output block as XLR outs.

On Path A - set the input block as Guitar and the output block as 1/4 out.

This way you create two independent paths (both for input and output).

If you want some presets to accept guitar 1, and another set of presets to accept guitar 2, you can simply edit each set of presets and in the first "multi" change it to whatever other input you want.  Or you can add a "return" block in the beginning of the chain.  See my video how:

Thanks for the vid - very helpful! I am trying to use a mandolin with an LR Baggs going in to Return 2. I get very little signal going on Return 2. But seems to work fine on Guitar in. My goal is to keep the mando plugged in on Return 2. 

Here are a couple screen grabs of the patch. First shows settings of multi input and second shows Return. Not sure why I get little to no signal coming out of return....

2060667523_Screenshot2023-03-17at11_52_32AM.thumb.png.148fc56f57679755f88aa5562095eca0.png

1686219402_Screenshot2023-03-17at11_53_14AM.thumb.png.100b417a799c0abc271c6ee33889236b.png

On 3/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, wood-n-wire said:

Thanks for the vid - very helpful! I am trying to use a mandolin with an LR Baggs going in to Return 2. I get very little signal going on Return 2. But seems to work fine on Guitar in. My goal is to keep the mando plugged in on Return 2.

Did you set the Ins/Outs -> Send/Return to Inst ? This is significantly louder than Line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2