Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Foot switch failing?

boynigel

I've been using snapshots almost exclusively w/no problems for the past 8 months.  I just ventured outside of my usual SS presets and found that the #8 foot switch has become unpredictable while in stomp mode.  when it is assigned to turn a block on/off, it can take multiple presses for it to turn the block on or off.

none of the other foot switches exhibited this behavior, and oddly enough the foot switch works just fine when in SS mode. 

On 3/22/2023 at 8:12 PM, boynigel said:

none of the other foot switches exhibited this behavior, and oddly enough the foot switch works just fine when in SS mode.

In snapshot mode the footswitch turns on the snapshot...if it double hits it just reloads the same snapshot (with the default global settings) so you would never notice a problem. In stomp mode if it double hits it turns on the effect, then off again.... that's why you notice it.

My Helix took about 4 years to display some footswitch issues, which is on par with any multi-effect I have ever owned. Since this is your first problem, #1 may work for you. 

1. When it first occurs... try the self cleaning option. Push down the footswitch and spin it several times. Repeat that a few times. This works for some, not for others. 
  2. If it continues, you'll need to clean the micro switch which requires opening the unit. Don't attempt this if the unit is under warranty, and if you do attempt it... read up on it first. It's not difficult, but there are several things to be careful of. 
  3. Once a good cleaning has failed the micro switch will need to be replaced. Just like cleaning, this is not difficult as long as you are comfortable with working on your own gear. 
  • Upvote 1

It could be that it's interpreting a button press as double-press.  That's why in snapshots, double-pressing doesn't cause any issues... You'll re-enter the same snapshot...but in pedal board mode, double press will turn on, then off a block. 

Try reassigning the block(s) to a different button, and see if the issue gets resolved.  If the issue gets resolved, then the micro switch is on its way out.. 4 years is a long time, and in my limited experience I started seeing issues much much sooner. 

I have a Helix that was only used sparingly, i.e. for the gigs, and after a year my "solo" snapshot button wouldn't always work, you really needed to press it all the way down, not lightly tap it. 

• Upvote 1

I had a similar problem (FS2 for me). I investigated the issue and there are a number of posts and also youtube videos.

I followed the instructions in the videos and it rectified the issue I was having. I'd also previously had an issue with a squeaky volume pedal on the Helix and again these forums and youtube provided some guidance.

Obviously .... don't fix it if under warranty - just get it repaired by Line6, otherwise both are relatively simple maintenance tasks..... Not really repairs as such because there were no parts being replaced, soldered or butchered.

As a side project I also built a MIDI footpedalboard to replicate (most) of the footswitch activity.... just in case taking the Helix apart and lubricating the switches caused an issue. It was an unnecessary but interesting diversion, but at least I know I can do most (not all ) things via midi

Footswitch lubrication

Pedal Squeak fix 

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2023 at 7:52 AM, codamedia said:

In snapshot mode the footswitch turns on the snapshot...if it double hits it just reloads the same snapshot (with the default global settings) so you would never notice a problem. In stomp mode if it double hits it turns on the effect, then off again.... that's why you notice it.

My Helix took about 4 years to display some footswitch issues, which is on par with any multi-effect I have ever owned. Since this is your first problem, #1 may work for you. 

1. When it first occurs... try the self cleaning option. Push down the footswitch and spin it several times. Repeat that a few times. This works for some, not for others. 
  2. If it continues, you'll need to clean the micro switch which requires opening the unit. Don't attempt this if the unit is under warranty, and if you do attempt it... read up on it first. It's not difficult, but there are several things to be careful of. 
  3. Once a good cleaning has failed the micro switch will need to be replaced. Just like cleaning, this is not difficult as long as you are comfortable with working on your own gear. 

yep, already watched a couple videos on the microswitches.  I didn't jump right into pulling it apart due to no issues with Stomp mode, but given what you said above about how it would still work in SS mode, i guess i'll start w/your #1 and move forward accordingly

On 3/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, theElevators said:

4 years is a long time, and in my limited experience I started seeing issues much much sooner.

actually it's been about 1.5 years.  I'm surprised so soon given that it's made in China ;)

On 3/23/2023 at 3:29 AM, theElevators said:

Lots of posts about this. 

I recall in your video you mentioned you purchased a bag of 100 of the switches.  Have you had to replace any yet, or has just cleaning the existing ones done the trick?  If you've replaced some, are they snap-fit or do i need to break out the soldering iron.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:26 PM, boynigel said:

I recall in your video you mentioned you purchased a bag of 100 of the switches.  Have you had to replace any yet, or has just cleaning the existing ones done the trick?  If you've replaced some, are they snap-fit or do i need to break out the soldering iron.

I've only cleaned them, that worked for me.  Liquid DeoxIT fixed it. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, theElevators said:

I've only cleaned them, that worked for me.  Liquid DeoxIT fixed it. 

Welp, I took it apart and cleaned all the switches w/DeoxIT (the foot switch in question did look dirty compared to the others).  I did about 20-30 on/off cycles w/no issues whereas before I'd have an issue within 4-8 button presses.  I know it's likely psychological, but the action on the foot switch itself actually feels better somehow.  I see your video is about six months old now and in that time it's been good for you.  Hopefully I get at least 6 months as well.

The optimist in me is hoping that it's better than new because sometimes parts sit in a bin for years before getting used, sometimes in humid conditions, and possibly a little corrosion happens in that time (yeah, I know- they're kind of sealed, but still) and then they get put into use, and the corrosion, however so slight, can get knocked (scraped?) loose and start messing with a contact's integrity. 

The pessimist in me has me thinking it's all still floating around in there though and one day will rear its ugly head again. LOL.  or...maybe the DeoxIT dissolves all that crap, I dunno, it's working for now anyway.  We shall see.

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, boynigel said:

Welp, I took it apart and cleaned all the switches w/DeoxIT (the foot switch in question did look dirty compared to the others).  I did about 20-30 on/off cycles w/no issues whereas before I'd have an issue within 4-8 button presses.  I know it's likely psychological, but the action on the foot switch itself actually feels better somehow.  I see your video is about six months old now and in that time it's been good for you.  Hopefully I get at least 6 months as well.

The optimist in me is hoping that it's better than new because sometimes parts sit in a bin for years before getting used, sometimes in humid conditions, and possibly a little corrosion happens in that time (yeah, I know- they're kind of sealed, but still) and then they get put into use, and the corrosion, however so slight, can get knocked (scraped?) loose and start messing with a contact's integrity. 

The pessimist in me has me thinking it's all still floating around in there though and one day will rear its ugly head again. LOL.  or...maybe the DeoxIT dissolves all that crap, I dunno, it's working for now anyway.  We shall see.

I did my cleaning 8 months ago. So far so good. Also all the buttons are  smoother than before for me as well.  Also the click is not as loud as before. Good luck. Liquid Deoxit rules!

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2023 at 5:08 PM, theElevators said:

I did my cleaning 8 months ago. So far so good. Also all the buttons are  smoother than before for me as well.  Also the click is not as loud as before. Good luck. Liquid Deoxit rules!

I was too boastful too soon about not using too much contact cleaner like your tech did.  I was just using it now and noticed that one of the foot switch's LED lights, which is supposed to be amber (for an OD stomp block), is now half amber, half green.  So now it looks like that foot switch is assigned to both an OD and a Delay...hmm, that gives me an idea to suggest to L6. ;)

At any rate, hopefully its something that'll just go away over time as the contact cleaner dissipates