Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to tame a rat?

H3R3T1K

I'm currently splitting my bass signal with a crossover after a poly capo and have a Vermin distortion on the signal above 240Hz. Love the flavor! I got a Sansamp after it which tames it quite a bit before joining the low end and going into the cab block. I still would like to put a tilt eq after the Sansamp to darken the sound a bit more. That's before joining the low end so I'm not losing any of that. I'm wondering where to put the center frequency as I'm new to eq. For that I'm guessing I need to know where the rat's mid bump is exactly. Hope you guys know more.

Tone I'm going for is Jo Bench of Bolt Thrower.

I feel like the rat is the right direction. Her tone is very grindy with plenty clean low end but not overly harsh as many modern metal tones are.

PS: Of course I have a high cut going at 4k but I still feel like I need to tame it some more. The overly harsh part is below that.

On 4/17/2023 at 1:27 AM, MayPRS said:

I use the RAT block on some songs on my Pink Floyd tribute: what I do is put a ColorDrive (legacy) block before on the signal chain - it removes all the harshness from the RAT and I can get pretty sweet tones.

I'd like to try that. I'm assuming your gain levels for both are relatively low?

On 4/17/2023 at 3:45 PM, brue58ski said:

I'd like to try that. I'm assuming your gain levels for both are relatively low?

I don't have the values present right now... but I can check them and let you know. It gives a really sweet distortion, very Gilmour-esque.

On 4/17/2023 at 8:11 AM, MayPRS said:

I don't have the values present right now... but I can check them and let you know. It gives a really sweet distortion, very Gilmour-esque.

That would be great if you could. Of course I could just enter the values myself. But, I'd still be curious what your parameter settings are. No worries if you forget.