Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Push computer mp3 play through USB cord to Amp

cboshdave

I'm enjoying my Helix and I have found the global settings for output and levels related to USB input.  Since these are global, the problem I am having is that certain presets don't allow the music to play through the amp.  I can't see anything that would block that input?  One preset is fine, another doesn't push the music through.  Again, this is all with a USB cord from the laptop to the Helix.  The computer recognizes the Helix as an output for the sound.  

Thanks for looking!

Dave

Need more info.

"certain presets" - I assume you mean factory presets? which ones, specifically?

"don't allow the music to play through the amp" - what amp are you referring to?

"Again, this is all with a USB cord from the laptop to the Helix.  The computer recognizes the Helix as an output for the sound. " - that usually means that streaming music from the computer/internet will play through the Helix outputs, not that Helix will play through the computer's soundcard and speakers.

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:22 PM, cboshdave said:

I'm enjoying my Helix and I have found the global settings for output and levels related to USB input.  Since these are global, the problem I am having is that certain presets don't allow the music to play through the amp.  I can't see anything that would block that input?  One preset is fine, another doesn't push the music through.  Again, this is all with a USB cord from the laptop to the Helix.  The computer recognizes the Helix as an output for the sound.  

Thanks for looking!

Dave

Hi, Dave,

I’m with @rd2rk, in the above post - need more info. What presets, what amp, what laptop, what operating system?

Input, input… the more we know “exactly” about what you are trying to do, the easier it will be to assist you.

I have my Helix floor permanently hooked up to my Mac and use it to get the Helix audio, both processed and dry, into and out of Logic Pro without issue. It also serves as a way of playing back audio from the Mac from various sources to allow jamming along.

Using Helix as the audio interface (sound card) card means I can listen to audio from iTunes, YouTube, etc.no problem. Therefore there is no apparent reason why you cannot do the same. Please clarify the situation.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I'll get more info tonight.  I assumed that the pass of the music from my laptop through Helix to the amp (1/4" mono output jack) would be irrelevant to the preset that I was on.  That's why I did not provide the additional info.  The presets are ones that I have downloaded (not factory).  I'll do more compares and testing.  Thanks so far.  I guess I'm comparing to the HD500x and it was a simple pass thru.  I understand Helix has a lot more.  

On 4/28/2023 at 11:13 PM, cboshdave said:

I'll get more info tonight.  I assumed that the pass of the music from my laptop through Helix to the amp (1/4" mono output jack) would be irrelevant to the preset that I was on.  That's why I did not provide the additional info.  The presets are ones that I have downloaded (not factory).  I'll do more compares and testing.  Thanks so far.  I guess I'm comparing to the HD500x and it was a simple pass thru.  I understand Helix has a lot more.  

Hi, Dave,

If all you want to do is playback any, or all, audio from your computer through your Helix then it doesn’t matter what preset is selected on the Helix. For example, if you have a backing track minus guitar from YouTube, you can stream that back through the Helix exactly as it should sound. Helix does not add any effects to the original track, but if you want to jam along with the track using a preset of your choice, then you should be able to hear your processed guitar tone along with the unprocessed backing track. I do this sort of thing almost everyday. Set the input to Multi and then any audio from your computer on USB 1&2 will pass through unprocessed.

Download this and read the section on USB audio on page 68.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev F - English .pdf

NOTE

I still have a POD HD500, and a PODXT Live, but this is a whole different thing.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:02 PM, datacommando said:

Hi, Dave,

If all you want to do is playback any, or all, audio from your computer through your Helix then it doesn’t matter what preset is selected on the Helix. For example, if you have a backing track minus guitar from YouTube, you can stream that back through the Helix exactly as it should sound. Helix does not add any effects to the original track, but if you want to jam along with the track using a preset of your choice, then you should be able to hear your processed guitar tone along with the unprocessed backing track. I do this sort of thing almost everyday. Set the input to Multi and then any audio from your computer on USB 1&2 will pass through unprocessed.

Download this and read the section on USB audio on page 68.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev F - English .pdf

NOTE

I still have a POD HD500, and a PODXT Live, but this is a whole different thing.

Thanks.  That is the confirmation I was looking for.  I realized last night that I was playing my MP3s through different programs and the programs were sending the signal different ways.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1