Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Studio monitor volume control for Helix as an interface

bsimmons106

Hello,

I recently got a helix floor and I have it hooked up to my MacBook as a USB interface for listening to music, recording/mixing, and playing guitar.

I have Helix's balanced XLR outputs going directly into my studio monitor's (KRK Rokits) balanced XLR inputs, everything sounds great and I'm pretty happy with everything...the only problem now is my volume control for my entire PC is on the floor, which is a pain.  

I can't control the volume from my Mac anymore, so I'm curious what's the best way to handle this? I'm guessing I need to purchase an external volume controller of some kind? I don't need anything fancy, but I want to make sure sure I am using the balanced inputs/outputs as properly and I'm not breaking the bank.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

Your Mac’s audio volume control should still work. It should still control the volume level sent from the CPU to the audio card, whether that is your internal soundcard or the Helix. (at least that the way it works in the land of Windows. I’m not a Mac guy). You will find it in Preferences or Settings on your Mac. Experiment with setting the Helix volume level and the Mac volume level independently. You should soon find the combined settings that work for you in various contexts.