Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effect block turns gray when assigning one of its parameters to a footswitch

Blumi_guitar

In stomp mode (aka Performance View) the effect block (e.g. of an EQ) turns gray as soon as I assign its parameter 'Level' to a footswitch. Of course I can select another color for the LED ring of the footswitch, but the block still remains gray. Is there a way to change the color of an effect block in this scenario?
Of course it works properly if I assign the 'Bypass' function to a footswitch, i.d. the block appears in the same color as the footswitch LED.

The issue is with the Helix LT running the most recent firmware.

P.S.: I found an old posting from 2017, that basically addresses the same issue, but it doesn't really provide a solution

• Blumi_guitar changed the title to Effect block turns gray when assigning one of its parameters to a footswitch
On 7/5/2023 at 4:41 AM, Blumi_guitar said:

Could anyone please confirm or deny that this is not a bug but standard behaviour?

That's standard behavior as far as I know...

If you really want to know, open a support ticket and ask the good people at Line 6 what their intent is/was. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, Blumi_guitar said:

Could anyone please confirm or deny that this is not a bug but standard behaviour?

Hi,

I’m not really sure that I understand what you are trying to achieve here. I own a Helix Floor not the LT, so bear with me on this.

Looking at the example you quoted - the “Level” parameter on an EQ Block assigned to a foot switch. Well, I tried this on the Helix and the LED on the switch turns grey, because the switch is not engaged (bypassed). Turn it on and it will light up white (grey undimmed). The thing is with the Level being controlled by the foot switch as you mention it will be either On, or Off. You can achieve the On/Off state by assigning the whole EQ Block to a foot switch. 

I really don’t understand what you are trying to do with this idea. If you are wanting to control parameters within any amp, cab or effect block in your preset, then you should be using Snapshots. It is what they are designed to do.

See the Helix LT 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev E - German - Page 48 > Snapshots.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a411124d648263bacc7f1/application/pdf/Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev E - German .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 1:27 PM, datacommando said:

I really don’t understand what you are trying to do with this idea

I really appreciate your answer. Sorry for being inaccurate in my description. Let me elaborate on this:

I am basically using a downloaded preset that consists of an amp, a cab, an EQ block and a Compressor (always on, not assigned to foot switches). I added distortion blocks of my choice and finally wanted to boost the overall volume for lead parts.

So instead of adding another EQ or gain block just to increase the loudness I decided to use one of the above mentioned (always on) effect blocks. I assigned the 'Level' parameter of the last block in my signal chain to a foot switch that now toggles the 'Level' value between 0 dB and +6 dB.

As described above I can change the LED ring color of the foot switch to any color but the block color remains grey. I was just suprised because a block usually takes the same color that is chosen for the LED ring (if 'Bypass' is assigned to a  foot switch). But maybe this behaviour is intentional to emphasize that it is not a Bypass on-/off switch.

• Like 1