Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume drops when copy/Pasting presets

draven777

My issue here, isn't the amps being different volumes, or effects, or even cabs.  I definitely understand this, as in the "real world" all amps and such are different  like mentioned before in previous posts.   My issue is that I will copy a preset, and paste it as a template in a new preset, with the same settings, literally nothing changes, then the new preset has a severe Volume drop.  key words here, I change absolutely nothing  no amps, levels, cabs or anything changes, but the volume has dropped.  even before I mess with anything, because as I said i copied and paste to use as a preset. I would save the new template, switch to another preset, go back and the volume is dropped. what's even more annoying, is it is completely random. I'll copy the same original template, and paste it in a new slot, and that volume will be fine.  I use the same heavy/Drive amps, and the same clean amps. swathing NO settings on the amps. It makes absolute no sense to me.  No settings are changed.  anyone else have this issue? Am I missing something?   Theoretically, copying a preset and pasting it elsewhere, should copy everything and have no volume drops. 

Check Global Settings -> EXP Pedals. There is a Position setting to specify how the position of the pedal behaves: 

Determines whether the Helix expression pedal positions are recalled per snapshot, per preset, or applied globally. If you want a Volume Pedal or Wah to maintain its position when switching presets, set this to “Global.”

• Like 1

I just rebuilt my "All Amps" setlist (80 presets) to incorporate different routing and Command Center MIDI.

All presets have a WAH and VOLUME pedal. Global is Per Preset.

Starting with the first preset, I made the changes, saved, then made the amp/cab changes for the next preset.

Using The DOWN arrow in the NAME field I changed the name, selected the next location and clicked OK.

80 presets, no problems. Try this method vs copy/paste.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to answer my friends. I really appreciate it.   I did notice the preset I had with the volume drop was the preset I had a volume pedal on.  I removed the volume block, and the preset was still super low, even though all settings were the same as other presets.  I ended up just deleting it, and started over from my template. everything is fine now.  But I have noticed when using the editor on the computer, that clicking between presets when your selecting on the computer, sometimes there are strange volume and tone changes, but then clicking on another, and going back, the issue isn't there.  I've noticed a couple very strange things like that using the helix.  

Chances are pretty good that what's happening is you're making some changes on a preset and jump to a different preset and when you come back to the original preset it sounds like it's changed, but that's because you didn't save that original preset before you went to the other preset and it restored the old version rather than the edited but not saved version.  That's a pretty common mistake.  I flip between presets all the time when I'm editing them to get them gain staged correctly and I never have any problems in all the years I've had my Helix.  But I'm pretty diligent in saving my changes.  It does happen sometimes but it's always due to me not saving a preset after doing some changes.

On 9/16/2023 at 1:20 PM, DunedinDragon said:

Chances are pretty good that what's happening is you're making some changes on a preset and jump to a different preset and when you come back to the original preset it sounds like it's changed, but that's because you didn't save that original preset before you went to the other preset and it restored the old version rather than the edited but not saved version.  That's a pretty common mistake.  I flip between presets all the time when I'm editing them to get them gain staged correctly and I never have any problems in all the years I've had my Helix.  But I'm pretty diligent in saving my changes.  It does happen sometimes but it's always due to me not saving a preset after doing some changes.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, No.

I rigerously save all my changes. I know this because when I export the preset (or move it to another location) the original preset still sounds correct. Once it has been moved or re-imported to a different location (preset number) the changes happen. I always keep the original preset in another location so that I have something to go back on because this has happened so often.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 9:12 AM, sykes1000 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, No.

I rigerously save all my changes. I know this because when I export the preset (or move it to another location) the original preset still sounds correct. Once it has been moved or re-imported to a different location (preset number) the changes happen. I always keep the original preset in another location so that I have something to go back on because this has happened so often.

I have to agree, All cabs, all amps, all effects are the same,  go to another preset, use the EXACT SAME SETTING (or sometimes straight up copy/pasting)  and there is a significant volume drop or tone difference.   then on the preset that is "lower volume" i have to jack up the amp channel volume to say "9"  when the same amp on the louder channel is at "6.5" just to match.   its straight ridiculous.   

On 10/16/2023 at 5:53 PM, bobcalvanese said:

Did you compare the output block levels on the original and the copied presets?

Yes, nothing was changed, it was a complete copy all, paste all.   yet there would end up being a volume dip or tone loss between banks, even before any edit was made to the new copy.