Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix 2

tomaszcieslik

On 1/19/2024 at 1:19 PM, Antron007 said:

I've been toying with the idea of getting one. I've had the POD HD500X for a few years now, and I really have no need to replace it other than G A S, so my concern is dropping almost $2k on something that will be replaced/replaceable within a year. It's the catch 22. Do I buy a piece of 10 year old tech, know what market trends are? Or do I keep stalling out for another 12-18 months, just to find out that I should have just went ahead and pulled the trigger when I originally wanted to because it didn't get/isn't getting replaced? (IDK about isn't. Eventually they are going to release a new flagship pedal board type system.)

There are a number of us that came to the Helix from the POD HD when it was first released.  I would say that technology jump was not exactly a sea change in capabilities.  It solved a few aggravations we had with the POD HD, but the Helix is now a VERY different animal.  In my estimation it's only just now beginning to show it's true potential after the last few firmware updates.  That's why even were your biggest fear of a new "Helix" to come to pass you wouldn't have really lost much because the features and capabilities in the Helix these days are so numerous and extraordinary over the POD HD, its still money well spent I would say.

I honestly don't think this is about having the newest, shiniest object as much as it is a system capable of allowing you to achieve the current state of the art in modeling especially comparing it to the POD HD.  More DSP?  Not even a consideration for me as I rarely run into that problem.  Built-in WiFi or Bluetooth, been there and done that and had to have lose my whole unit for maintenance when they broke and I'm fine with using a workaround if I have to as long as my unit remains available.  Touch screen?  I have touch screen on my laptop I don't use, and touch screen on my QSC TM30 mixer I barely make use of preferring the real dials and buttons, touch screen on my tablet that's absolutely aggravating and annoying to have to use.  Even touch screen on my new car, which is literally dangerous to try and use if you're driving.  They may sound cool but I've yet to run into an instance that makes me more productive than a keyboard and a mouse.  But I'll admit it's good marketing fluff for people that like shiny, new objects.

Personally I think the whole "shiny new object" innovations are more based on the fact that the DSP chips being used today in the Helix are just as capable as anything newer, and that's likely to be the case for a while.  So until that happens (which would REALLY be a sea change), I'll be fine with this unit.

• Upvote 1

Dunedin kind of mentioned something that I agree with as well. I've been waiting for amp modelling to get to the stage the Helix was at when it was first issued. I started with the Rockman (technically the first amp sim I guess). Had a SansAmp, Digitech GSP 2101, Peavey Rockmaster with an Ampulator (I still have those) and got to the Pod XT and have been staying with Line 6 ever since. I did not buy the Helix right away. I'm not so sure, even if Line 6 came out with something that I would purchase it. I don't think I'm the only one that feels that way. Just one more thing to think about when you make your decision.

• Upvote 1

I've never understood the obsession with having the latest and greatest "Product X". A device either fulfills your wants/needs, or it doesn't. I have a 5 year old phone in my pocket. Why? Because it works. How different could the brand new one that Verizon wants to sell me for $1K possibly be? Who cares if an even newer one is coming out in 3 months? SPOILER ALERT: We live in a disposable economy. Something new is always coming out in 3 months.

Couple that with a buying public who:

A) Has been conditioned to believe that they're "missing out" if they don't treat themselves to every shiny new toy that hits the shelves, and

B) Often has the attention span of a house fly...

And the result is discussions like this, lol. At this point the "next big thing" IS  just around the corner... and that ain't gonna change anytime soon....whether it's from L6 or somebody else, whatever it is, it's coming. You can play the waiting game if you want, but if you get sucked down that rabbit hole, you'll never buy anything... because "what if the next thing is better?" Oh, the horror...;)

Buy whatever you want/ need, and can afford. But waiting with bated breath for extended and/ or unknown periods of time for some future, even more magical device, is just an exercise in self-denial. Just my 2 cents...

• Upvote 5