Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to make Lucasfilm THX ish sound with oscillators?

bob_stevens

Hi, I want to try and make a preset for songs like Uptown funk and others that have that rising synth sound a bit like the THX sound. I did see a clip of an old preset that used to be on Helix (SNAPSHOT 2 NO) mentioned here @ 4:26:

Anybody got this old preset or can offer some help/idea's? 

If needed, I can recreate this sound.  But basically you arrange your oscillators so that you have a starting pitch and the ending chord.  You have 2 snapshots: 1) and 2).  One has the starting chord, and the second one has the ending chord.  When you switch between the two snapshots, it plays the Lucasfilm sound thingie...

Each (4 pitch generator 3 pitch generator) has portomento effect when changing between the pitches.  You can set it to immediately change, or have the notes glide from one pitch to another.  You assign each pitch of the tone generators to the snapshot, and save the pitches in snapshot 1 and snapshot 2. 

That's really it, that's the gist.  You have the "sheet music" in the video above.

On 11/21/2023 at 4:54 PM, bob_stevens said:

Anybody got this old preset or can offer some help/idea's? 

Yep, it’s an old demo preset from way back. Check my reply in this thread from May 2019.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT: @bob_stevens

I remembered that Ben Vesco (Malhavok) has a download available of lots of old and deleted Factory Presets for the Helix completists - there you will find 

Helix 2.21.0 update (from 2.20.0)

New Factory PresetsTEMPLATES (1 new preset)

32D: Snapshot 2: No!

http://benvesco.com/store/line-6-helix/

Hit the “Download all 2.80 factory presets” link on Ben’s page

Synth Nirvana!

Edited by datacommando
Added link

On 11/22/2023 at 12:21 AM, theElevators said:

If needed, I can recreate this sound.  But basically you arrange your oscillators so that you have a starting pitch and the ending chord.  You have 2 snapshots: 1) and 2).  One has the starting chord, and the second one has the ending chord.  When you switch between the two snapshots, it plays the Lucasfilm sound thingie...

Each (4 pitch generator 3 pitch generator) has portomento effect when changing between the pitches.  You can set it to immediately change, or have the notes glide from one pitch to another.  You assign each pitch of the tone generators to the snapshot, and save the pitches in snapshot 1 and snapshot 2. 

That's really it, that's the gist.  You have the "sheet music" in the video above.

Thanks for that, it may help with what I want to do