Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Auto switch to stomp mode when selecting a snapshot - Helix Floor

thirdspace

Check the manual section n Global Settings -> Footswitches. There are numerous options regarding how footswitch functions and displays work. You can choose the option that works best for you. It may or may not give you exactly what you want as described by your question but you will find a good fit - perhaps better than what you currently think you want.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2023 at 2:52 PM, thirdspace said:

Hi all - I would like Helix Floor to auto switch into stomp mode when selecting a snapshot? I found a post about this on Reddit which relates to the HX Stomp XL but I can't see the options described on my HX Floor (firmware 3.7)

Much appreciated :)

HI,

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you want to achieve here?

You can If you go to the Global Settings on your Helix and set Footswitches > Preset Mode Switches > 8 Snapshots, then you use FS 6 (PRESET STOMP) to swap between Stomp and Snapshot mode. If you require some extra feature to navigating between settings then you should check out the Command Centre which allows you to control almost anything with something else.

Once again Steve to the rescue with this video.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Thanks folks - I'll give the Steve video a watch. What I'm after is - say I'm in Preset mode looking at 8 snapshots, when I select any snapshot it immediately switches into Stomp mode all by itself... the is described in the link above for the HX Stomp but can't see those options in the Floor (yet)

Update - so the Steve video is about what the switches do when you are in Stomp mode - all good - what I want to do (jump to Stomp mode) is something I hope to achieve in Preset mode, that is when I select a Snapshot in Preset mode (hope I have the terminology right..)

is this correct, you are in stomp mode, you want to change a snapshot, so you go to snapshot mode.  you click the snapshot, you want it to enable the snapshot and go back to stomp mode.

I would like that as well and it seems like there is a way to do that, but I can't remember how.  You can of course use the command center to assign a snapshot to a button (or several snapshots to several button) and then they are accessible in stomp mode. you click the snapshot and you are still in stomp mode.  The issue is this takes away a few stomps.

On 12/19/2023 at 3:56 PM, thirdspace said:

What I'm after is - say I'm in Preset mode looking at 8 snapshots, when I select any snapshot it immediately switches into Stomp mode all by itself...

Hi, again,

Go to the Global settings on your Helix and under Footswitch Settings change the option on knob 4 “Snapshot Mode Switches” to “Auto Return”.

From the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual page 66.

“When set to “Auto Return,” Helix returns to the previous footswitch mode after selecting a snapshot. When set to “Manual Return,” Helix stays in Snapshot footswitch mode until you press FS6 (CANCEL).“

On 12/19/2023 at 7:12 PM, datacommando said:

Hi, again,

Go to the Global settings on your Helix and under Footswitch Settings change the option on knob 4 “Snapshot Mode Switches” to “Auto Return”.

From the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual page 66.

“When set to “Auto Return,” Helix returns to the previous footswitch mode after selecting a snapshot. When set to “Manual Return,” Helix stays in Snapshot footswitch mode until you press FS6 (CANCEL).“

That definitely helps thanks - although this only works if in Stomp mode as set by switch 6. That is, in Stomp mode, when calling up Snapshot mode by pressing the Bank Up and Down together, it will auto return to Stomp mode with 'Auto Return' enabled.

I guess this function isn't intended for the way I want it to work, which is, when in Preset Mode (as set by switch 6) I have the Preset mode switches set to 8 snapshots - when I choose a snapshot I would like it to jump to Stomp mode so I can see whatever the stomps are assigned to (which is where the Command Center comes in).

Also, just for a additional challenge if I want to use Stomp Mode Switches set to 10 Switches then the Bank Up and Down functions disappear and you can't select Snapshot Mode by pressing them both at the same time.

Any ideas?

On 12/20/2023 at 9:35 AM, thirdspace said:

That definitely helps thanks - although this only works if in Stomp mode as set by switch 6. That is, in Stomp mode, when calling up Snapshot mode by pressing the Bank Up and Down together, it will auto return to Stomp mode with 'Auto Return' enabled.

I guess this function isn't intended for the way I want it to work, which is, when in Preset Mode (as set by switch 6) I have the Preset mode switches set to 8 snapshots - when I choose a snapshot I would like it to jump to Stomp mode so I can see whatever the stomps are assigned to (which is where the Command Center comes in).

Also, just for a additional challenge if I want to use Stomp Mode Switches set to 10 Switches then the Bank Up and Down functions disappear and you can't select Snapshot Mode by pressing them both at the same time.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Nope, it isn’t set up how you want, but it is if you know what preset you’re on and you have the preset in Stomp mode. Logically it makes most sense to select a preset to open in Stomp view, where you can already be on a snapshot setting, then you can access Snapshot mode, from there it will auto switch back to Stomp.

Re: Snapshots - from the Owner’s Manual 

“Selecting a preset recalls the Snapshot that was active when the preset was saved.”

As previously mentioned, it you want to modify the functionality of your device beyond the factory options you can design your own workflow using Command Centre.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Cool - so is there a way to access Snapshot mode when using 10 stomps?

If not, I suppose option 2 is to use 8 stomps but configure buttons 6 and 12 (or 1 and 7 I guess) to do stomp things so the Bank Up and Down buttons remain visible and can be used together to access Snapshot mode?

I believe you can only do what we want to a point.  I have helix floor, Preset Mode Switches = 8 Presets, Stomp Mode Switches = 10 Switches, Snapshot Mode Switches = Auto return.

The 2 issues I have:

1.  When I select a Preset, it starts in snapshot mode.  I would rather it start in Stomp mode, however I do not see an option for that.  It would be great if in Stomp mode, I could hit FS6(Mode) and it would show the Bank up/down, plus the Snapshots.  If I hit the bank up/down, I would like it to show me the Presets which I could select a new Preset and the Preset would open in Stomp Mode.  If instead of selecting a bank up/down for Preset, I hit a snapshot... I would like for that snapshot to be enabled on my current Preset and have it go back to Stomp mode.  I don't see a way to do this, and yes I have read the manual and experimented.  I would love to be wrong and have someone show me how to do this.

2.  Since I am in 10 Switch Mode, the only way I can get to the snapshots is by FS6 Mode switch.  That does take me to Snapshot mode, however it does not "auto return" to stomp mode.  I know I can use Command Center to assign a FS to a snapshot, and I've done that and it works great.  However, it takes away a stomp and limits the snapshots.  Again, I would love for someone to show me the error of my ways and say.... "you just do this"  :)

Hope this helps others as well!  Happy Holidays!  Hope Santa brings everyone a new Helix and Guitar!

On 12/20/2023 at 5:41 PM, PaulTBaker said:

2.  Since I am in 10 Switch Mode, the only way I can get to the snapshots is by FS6 Mode switch.  That does take me to Snapshot mode, however it does not "auto return" to stomp mode.

Yes - exactly that! So I did discover a potential workaround here: 

This would involve sending Helix a MIDI message which puts it into Snapshot mode - as you can send a MIDI message from a FS by setting it up in Command centre, is it possible to somehow send that message from say FS12 (available when using 10 switches in Stomp mode) and somehow have the helix receive the MIDI message it is sending? (might be disappearing down a rabbit hole here :) )