Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Almost no sound when plugged into the fx return of my amp

Garzenton

Hi everyone,

I just got second hand an helix lt. My plan is to plug it into the return of the effect loop of my blackstar debut 50r. 

I don't want to use the 4cm, I want to bypass my preamp and enjoy the ones in the lt.

The problem is that the sound is REALLY low (almost nothing) when I plug the line 6 directly to the fx return (no problem with pluging it into the input). I tried to change the global settings (line/instrument) but nothing happened. 

I searched all afternoon for answers but didn't find nothing...

Maybe the previous owner did something wrong? Or maybe is it a problem with my amp?

Thanks for your answers.

Are you using the LT's PREAMPS? if so, that's the problem.

Use the FULL amps (NOT AMP+CAB unless you like that sound - try it, can't hurt anything!).

The FULL amp incorporates the sound of the modeled poweramp and includes a Speaker Impedance Curve (models the interaction between a poweramp and speaker).

The BS 50r, being solid-state, likely has a fairly clean power amp with most of its tone shaping in its preamp section.

The levels of amp effects loops are notoriously varied. There are amps that put out as much as 30v from their Send, and their Return will be looking for something about the same.  No modeller is going to push that amount in.  My Blackstar Artist has a Loop Level button to switch between -10db and +4db (Instrument/Line). If your amp has a similar button, you will get a 14db boost by switching from Line to Instrument.

Thanks for all your replies.

So I tested with the traditionnal 4cm and it worked. Then I tested different things and here is the wtf thing :

guitar => helix => left/mono => amp return is not working... but : guitar => helix => left/mono => amp return and a dummy cable in my amp input is working. WTF ?

On 3/1/2024 at 2:01 PM, Garzenton said:

So I tested with the traditionnal 4cm and it worked. Then I tested different things and here is the wtf thing :

guitar => helix => left/mono => amp return is not working... but : guitar => helix => left/mono => amp return and a dummy cable in my amp input is working. WTF ?

The ground is probably disconnected on your Return1 jack. When you plug in the second cable you provide a connection between Helix' and the amp's ground via that path.

Edit: Ignore this, I mixed up this conversation with another one.

On 3/1/2024 at 2:29 PM, Schmalle said:

The ground is probably disconnected on your Return1 jack. When you plug in the second cable you provide a connection between Helix' and the amp's ground via that path.

I tried with a different cable and it doesn't work either

On 3/1/2024 at 3:13 PM, Garzenton said:

I tried with a different cable and it doesn't work either

Sorry, I mixed up this conversation with another one.

Maybe there is a switch that engages the amp when you plug in a cable into the input to prevent noise?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:01 AM, Garzenton said:

You've just proved that Helix is not the problem. You'll have to ask Blackstar about your WTF issue.

Or just use a dummy plug in the amp input and get on with playing your guitar.

Though, it is really weird, and I'd LOVE to know what BS was thinking... maybe there's a valid electrical reason in that amp's design?

I had an HT5R that worked fine in all configurations.

• Like 1