Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Catalyst CX!

maccayoung

this is great news !  i just upgraded my 60 to a 200 a few months ago as my main amp... this just adds alot more value.

props to L6 for doing right by its customers.

• Upvote 1

Update was a piece of cake, no problems at all, just be sure to back up your presets and perform a Factory Reset after the update, same as Helix/HX.

They've fixed one of the biggest complaints - being stuck with Reverb vs being able to use any two FX!

Still unable to disable cab sim, but at least they're working on it.

The Pilot's Guide adds the relevant MIDI commands and includes the Audio Interface info (which channels do what).

They've added some of my favorite amps and paired them nicely for different flavors of similar sounds.

Very nice update!

• Like 2

The update sound fantastic ! I'm having *some* issues though.. there doesn't seem to be a way of changing amp banks on the  editor.. everything i,ve seen has a bank button below the amp voicing knob, which I don't have (have tried to update editor but its just the same) and cant find a way of putting two effects on at once. Do you have to dedicate the reverb assignment to another effect? other than that, super happy with it. Well done Line6, thanks for doing the right thing by your loyal catalyst users !

On 3/19/2024 at 9:40 PM, Duke_Skellington said:

The update sound fantastic ! I'm having *some* issues though.. there doesn't seem to be a way of changing amp banks on the  editor.. everything i,ve seen has a bank button below the amp voicing knob, which I don't have (have tried to update editor but its just the same) and cant find a way of putting two effects on at once. Do you have to dedicate the reverb assignment to another effect? other than that, super happy with it. Well done Line6, thanks for doing the right thing by your loyal catalyst users !

Did you do the Factory Reset after the FW update? IDK if that would affect the editor, just thought I'd ask.

There should be a switch below the Selector Knob that toggles Group 1 and Group 2. The "Bank" switch is above the Selector Knob next to the A/B/M switches.

Are you sure that the editor actually updated? If you open the SAVE dialog and select ABOUT you should see v2.01 (iOS is v2.00).

You now have two effects that can be anything you want and toggled separately by assigning the FS1/FS2 buttons to Effect1 Bypass/Effect2 Bypass.

Just set each effect to whatever you want it to be. Reverb seems to be the default on Effect 2, but you can change that.

You can't use effects from the same CATEGORY on both - for instance, two delays.

I like having a MOD on Effect 1 and Delay on Effect 2 (instead of Reverb), so that's how I've set them up on the couple of presets I had time to mess around with today.

• Upvote 1

You have to update the Catalyst Edit as well. This will provide all the functionality needed.

My only question is why do you have to do a factory reset after the upgrade?  I didn't do it, so what am I missing out on?

The new amp models make this a much nicer amp. They are way fuller and more usable. The first 6 were great, these are amazing!

This is like an amp based Helix!  This is what is needed for these types of amps. Constant upgrades to provide better functionality and usability.

I really hope they eventually let us have access to teh entire bank of HX amp models.  We could then save any 12 models we wanted on the amp and overwrite the out of teh box models.  This would be sweet.  Pick and choose your amp stack, save them, create others.  Have a whole stack of blues type amps, save them on the computer, and then build a whole stack of metal based amps, etc.  Could be the only amp ever needed for anyt type of gig ever.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:24 AM, dooz911 said:

Is there any difference in the hardware besides the "face lift"? The "old" Catalyst is much cheaper in my area than the new ones.

Cheers.

No, other than the new cosmetics and new labeling on the control panel, the amps are identical. (they screwed down the trim piece around the control panel because most pop off). Superglue is your friend). Buy the older one, and update the software and you're the same as the new amp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:18 PM, horax said:

My only question is why do you have to do a factory reset after the upgrade?  I didn't do it, so what am I missing out on?

Primarily, the new factory presets. That's why you back up first.

However, on the Helix products, when things don't work right after an update, a Factory Reset usually fixes that.

Maybe there's a reason why they include doing that in the update instructions?

On 3/20/2024 at 5:14 PM, rd2rk said:

Did you do the Factory Reset after the FW update? IDK if that would affect the editor, just thought I'd ask.

There should be a switch below the Selector Knob that toggles Group 1 and Group 2. The "Bank" switch is above the Selector Knob next to the A/B/M switches.

Are you sure that the editor actually updated? If you open the SAVE dialog and select ABOUT you should see v2.01 (iOS is v2.00).

You now have two effects that can be anything you want and toggled separately by assigning the FS1/FS2 buttons to Effect1 Bypass/Effect2 Bypass.

Just set each effect to whatever you want it to be. Reverb seems to be the default on Effect 2, but you can change that.

You can't use effects from the same CATEGORY on both - for instance, two delays.

I like having a MOD on Effect 1 and Delay on Effect 2 (instead of Reverb), so that's how I've set them up on the couple of presets I had time to mess around with today.

Heya, yeah Multi effects.. sorted. Did factory reset, yeah. No joy with editor. Yes, every instance I've seen so far (and there haven't been many) show the amp bank below the amp knob.. I'll check the 1.02, but have not found any update for the editor in any case. Will keep soldiering on, thanks for your reply :-)

On 3/21/2024 at 9:54 AM, Duke_Skellington said:

Heya, yeah Multi effects.. sorted. Did factory reset, yeah. No joy with editor. Yes, every instance I've seen so far (and there haven't been many) show the amp bank below the amp knob.. I'll check the 1.02, but have not found any update for the editor in any case. Will keep soldiering on, thanks for your reply :-)

After looking, no the editor did not update. Im not finding any update for it anywhere either. I must be missing something..

On 3/21/2024 at 10:17 AM, Duke_Skellington said:

After looking, no the editor did not update. Im not finding any update for it anywhere either. I must be missing something..

Update  Aaah, sorted. The editor is not available for any pre windows 10 OS. that's a shame.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:26 PM, Duke_Skellington said:

Update  Aaah, sorted. The editor is not available for any pre windows 10 OS. that's a shame.

WINDOWS 10 was a free update if i remember correctly?