Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt50 Head, Firmware Update Issue

egkor

Hi,

Recently obtained a new DT50 Head.  I assume since new it is probably at a firmware version < 2.0.

So since I could most easily get a USB/MIDI interface that is a Hosa USM-422, I have been trying to use that. It is very similar to the M-Audio Uno USB/MIDI interface.

So after several hours attempted I cannot get the Monkey firmware update process to proceed any further than:

Failed, Code: 8000000A, undefined error

I have tried:

Using different Windows computers (Win 8.0 and Win 7)

Using different computer USB ports

Check Control Panel, Device Manager, in "Sound" there is a "USB 2.0-Midi" entry 

Have run the DT50 in both Standby and On, and Safe Mode

The driver for the USB/Midi Interface is the standard Windows driver, so special driver needed

Have uninstalled/reinstalled the standard USB/Midi driver, unplugging and reconnecting the Interface to USB to let the computer detect it and install the standard driver

Am pretty sure the Interface Midi cables are connected correctly to the amp (Amp Midi Out -> Interface Midi In, Amp Midi In -> Interface Midi Out)

I observe the lights on the Interface, I am getting "power", and data going in both directions (if I reverse the Midi connections at the back of the amp then I don't get this far)

I have downloaded and installed "DTEdit", and I can see that if I make a change to "Pentode/Triode" in the app then the amp will respond and switch.  Likewise if I change the switch on the amp, the app will update to match

I have downloaded the DT50 firmware update files 1.10, 1.20, and 2.0, and tried Monkey with all of those

I registered the amp with Line6, so no stoppage there

So I feel like I have exhausted all the possibilities/combinations of things to try.

I am guessing but the likely suspect causing the firmware update failure issue is the Hosa USB/Midi Interface.

So now I'm going to return the Hosa USM-422 USB/Midi interface.  I have a M-Audio Uno USB/Midi interface on order.  At this point all I know to do is to try is a different interface.

The main reason I put this post out there is if someone else is struggling with the DT firmware update, maybe this will help save them time, and show what "not" to do (try this first with the M-Audio Uno USB/Midi interface).

-Gary K

I'm having the same difficulty with my DT25 and the M-Audio Uno.  Line 6 definitely has some issues to resolve when it comes to communicating with these amps.  The Uno connects to my Vetta II every time on the first try.  I have the latest drivers for it as well.  I've also tried booting the amp in safe mode.  I'll post back if I figure something out.

I have the mio 1 in 1 out to MIDI connection and Im getting the same. "Failed, Code: 8000000A, an undefined error occurred:

make sure the cables are still connected and try the update again. they are and I did. Still No JOY

Update:

Joy!  The update to 2.0 firmware to my DT50 worked!  On the first try!

While waiting on the M-Audio Uno to come in, I had an opportunity to try a M-Audio M-Track Audio/Midi (USB) Interface.  The M-Midi portion of the M-Track worked flawlessly.

Here is a summary of what I used and what I did:

M-Audio M-Track (comes with USB cable)

Host Computer w/ Windows 7 64-bit

2 Midi cables, connection as follows:

DT50 Midi Out to M-Track Midi In, DT50 Midi In to M-Track Midi Out

I downloaded and installed the drivers for the M-Track for Windows 7 64-bit from the M-Audio web site 

Made M-Track (Windows) settings as shown in the (downloaded) M-Track User Guide.

Powered up DT50 in Safe Mode.  Safe Mode is:  Hold the Channel A/B switch down to B position, turn the amp power switch from Off to Power while holding the channel switch down to the B position.  I then let approx. 15 seconds go by, and released the channel select switch.

Ran DTEdit to verify connections.  Changed Pentode/Triode switch in DTEdit on the computer and saw the DT50 reflect the change on its front panel.

Ran Line 6 Monkey.  Monkey came up recognizing M-Track Midi as the device interface. 

Monkey showed Current Firmware=Unavailable, Selected Firmware=2.0

I selected "Update From File", and browsed to the v2.0 firmware file I had downloaded from Line 6, selected that file.

After accepting the various prompts and panels, the firmware update started!  And ran without error!

It seemed to take approx. 5-10 minutes to complete the flash, with the amp restarting once in the process.

After the update, Monkey showed Current Firmware=2.0, Selected Firmware=2.0

-Gary K

• Like 1

I finally got the update to take.  I didn't change anything; I just kept at it.  This was with my M-Audio Uno.  I gave up for a few days and then tried again.

Come to think of it, there was one difference; this time I was not signed in to Line 6 Monkey.  Don't know if that mattered.

• 6 years later...

I find this update very frustrating.  I'd like to think I'm fairly literate with this process since I have over 30 years in IT Software development.  I getting the exact same laundry list of issues.  I have the M-Audio Uno interface cables.  A brand new HP Core i7 running windows 10.  Updated the drivers for Line 6 Monkey.  Ran in Safe mode, tried using the update and update from file and still get the same damn A0000008 failure code.

What I don't see addressed in this thread is are we leaving the amp in standby or full on?  I have tried both.

I'm getting really close to taking this to the local junk yard and going back to Marshall.

I find this update very frustrating.  I'd like to think I'm fairly literate with this process since I have over 30 years in IT Software development.  I getting the exact same laundry list of issues.  I have the M-Audio Uno interface cables.  A brand new HP Core i7 running windows 10.  Updated the drivers for Line 6 Monkey.  Ran in Safe mode, tried using the update and update from file and still get the same damn A0000008 failure code.

What I don't see addressed in this thread is are we leaving the amp in standby or full on?  I have tried both.

I'm getting really close to taking this to the local junk yard and going back to Marshall.

Well, 2 minutes after I posted this I got it to work.  The M-Audio and the instructions telling you how to plug the Midi cables into your device need to be updated by the manufacturer.  At some point someone in manufacturing changed the labelling on the ends of the connectors.  Read below:

If you look closely at the ends of the cables on the M-Audio Uno they are labelled with an arrow (->) pointing to the connection you are to make.  They are labelled as such.  To Midi in ->  and To Midi out <-.  They actually show you the data flow.  That is in direct contradiction to the cardboard instructions that come with the cable.  Those read connect the cable marked Midi in to the Midi out of your device and connect the Midi out to the Midi in of your device.

If you don't pay attention to the cables having an arrow on them and only see the words Midi In and Midi out then you will follow the printed instructions and plug the cable marked Midi in to the Midi out on your DT25 and so on.

I suspect this is what's causing all this aggravation and sudden success without an explanation.  Some of you might be plugging them in differently on day 2 or 3 of your quest and then wondering why it suddenly worked.  

I hope this helps those using the M-Audio Uno interface cables.  

"Failed, Code: 8000000A, an undefined error" --- either a MIDI time out error or a memory load error.

Could be both, maybe that's why it's "undefined".  

Uno is usually used to interface with the amp. DTEdit is a 3rd party app. Official L6 apps are downloaded from the official

Line 6 Downloads page.

20201201_181736.thumb.jpg.adaac26913a052ff4a54f3adac3c712f.jpgThanks for the error code definition.  That fits whats happening.  If you read my follow up post the issue is the labelling on the M-Audio cables.  The cables are labelled opposite of the included instructions with the UNO cable.  Here's pictures demostrating the issue.  Line 5 and 6 instruct you to connect the cable midi in to the midi out of your device and the cable midi out to the midi in of your device.  When you look closely at the cables they are labeled midi in and midi out but they are telling you to connect the the cable midi in to the midi in on your device or dt25 and the cable labelled midi out to the midi out on the dt25.  

So the instructions on the line 6 download page and the instructions on the paper copy included with the M-Audio UNO both contradict what is written on the actual cables.  

That is whats driving everyone who owns a DT25 or Dt50 nuts when trying to use the recommended M-Audio cables.

BTW I did not have to put the amp in safe mode to update it.  I assume the only thing that does it shut down the power amp which eliminates a popping sound through the speaker as the update cycles through the channels.

-Lionel

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2014 at 11:47 PM, DarrellM5 said:

I finally got the update to take.  I didn't change anything; I just kept at it.  This was with my M-Audio Uno.  I gave up for a few days and then tried again.

Come to think of it, there was one difference; this time I was not signed in to Line 6 Monkey.  Don't know if that mattered.

This is what I did as well. Got the error the first time, clicked Update again and it worked. Who knows. Typical Windows software, just keep clicking until it works.

-Stooxie

• 1 month later...

Ok Line 6 Engineers.  Since the firmware update my Reverb turns off between channel switching.  It used to be that when I turned reverb on, it stayed on until I turned it off.  Now if I turn it on when on Channel A, Then go to B, it stays on.  When I return to Channel A it turns off.  Is this a 2.0 firmware issue?   Also, the amp suddenly started compressing when I pick a note or play a chord.  The amp will start to get louder until I play another note or chord.  I believe this is a pre-amp tube issue.  I've ordered an entire set.  

Any Thoughts?

Tubes or an IC on the guitar input board.

From the Knowledge Base,...

Tubes choices to use for the DT Series,...

DT-50 Series:

12AX7EH Electro-Harmonix approved for the DT50 pre-amps.

EL34EH Electro-Harmonix (matched pairs) for the power amps.

DT-25 Series:

12AX7B China for pre-amps.

EL84EH Electro-Harmonix (matched pairs) for the power amps.

Power amp tube choices are crucial, and must be properly biased by a tech or Line 6 authorized service center who knows the product.

Don't do this yourself, the shock hazard is too great,... and it hurts when you get electric shock. Leave it to a tech trained who is for this.

These valve amps are particular about tubes and tube brands. Do Not use substitutes, No Mesa, Groove Tube, Tung-Sol or JJ or (etc) substitutes.

No hot rodding of an already Bogner hot rod.

• 1 year later...

Someone has success updating DT50 head with Midisport UNO in Windows 11?

On windows 10, can someone give me some step by step guidelines to update my DT50? I have a windows 10 laptop and a windows 11 desktop, with no luck using M Audio Midisport UNO. I don't want to buy another interface, they are not cheap! I tried everything on this forum! M Audio cannot update the firmware, in DT Edit it receive but dot send information (the in and out lights works, but the Dt50 doesn't change anything) I'm using the latest (2013)! Drivers from M Audio website. I Don know what else to do! Please help!