Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FS4 to create a Lead stomp, possible?

nutstae

Hi All,

I plan to buy an HX Stomp with a dual footswitch for the additional FS4 & 5.

I've watched a lot of videos, but I still have a question about its functionality, could anyone confirm if this works?

I plan to always use it in a snapshot mode, with FS5 to act as a Tuner/Tap Tempo, and I want FS4 to act as a Lead stomp which can activate/deactivate & change a couple of blocks' settings like a Solo boost. (So it would be like a faux snapshot)

Is this possible?

If possible,

-is it possible to activate/deactivate any number of blocks & change any number of settings I want so that it actually acts like a snapshot?

-or I'm limited to only making 'changes to a limited number of settings to a limited number of blocks, and this FS4 setting will eventually bring a different result for each snapshot since FS4 will be influenced by the rest of the activated blocks from each snapshot?

Hope that made sense...

The reason why I am asking is because I want the snapshots to be
FS1: Wet Clean (Snapshot1)

FS2: Wet Drive (Snapshot2)

FS3: Ambient (Snapshot3)

FS4: ?

FS5: Tuner/Tap Tempo

So I have no room for the Lead. I want FS4 to function like a solo boost, but I'm not sure how much functionality this pedal offers.

Can someone share their understanding, please?

(I don't plan on buying HX Stomp XL, I want to keep the pedalboard as small as possible.)

Thank you!

Yep, this is possible. You can do this by programing your buttons individually through the command center. It will be a hassle if you plan on using multiple effects or parameters for your lead boost, but it is possible. 

Buy the Stomp, figure it all out yourself, not through videos, and sell it if you don't like it 

That's no problem. You can even do this with just two footswitches: one cycles through the snapshots 1->2->3->1... and one that bypasses one ore more blocks and/or changes parameters.

Distinguish between Bypass Assign and Controller Assign and all becomes easy:

Bypass Assign: snapshots control bypass states of blocks by default, but you can disable that per block. And you can additionally control a block's bypass state with MIDI and a footswitch or expression pedal.

Controller Assign: snapshots don't control parameters in blocks by default. But they are one of the mutually exclusive options of controlling a parameter besides MIDI, footswitch or expression pedal. You can controller assign up to 64 parameters in a patch.

On 4/16/2024 at 10:23 PM, nutstae said:

So I have no room for the Lead. I want FS4 to function like a solo boost, but I'm not sure how much functionality this pedal offers.

Can someone share their understanding, please?

Use your imagination when setting things up... it's very flexible. You can change on/off states & parameters, just as you can with a standard footswitch. Keep in mind, parameters can only be changed by a single controller... eg: if a parameter is already adjusted by a snapshot, it can't be adjust again by the footswitch. 

If you get a footswitch with LED's... retaining LED status can be tricky between snapshots. The FS may look like it's on, but the new snap may have reloaded some settings/positions. 

I approached it differently. I bought a BOSS FS-6, then wired a 10K resistor across the R/S (ring/sleeve) of the TRS cable. This gave me one F/S that acts as a footswitch (I use it to toggle between stomp modes) and the other acts as a fixed expression pedal. The latter is my "boost"! It increases the output gain by 2.5db and subtlety adjust a few other parameters.  Since I set my "EXP input" as global - the LED on the boss always stays lined up with the changes they make in the preset.