Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 500 burning smell/fried pcb

Woke up to my Variax smoldering at 4am with a pungent burning smell. Need advice on how to fix (if fixable?). Ive read that others have had pieces of string fall off inside the bridge/pizzo pickups assembly (during string change) and embedding somewhere on the pcb and shorting it out. I assume that’s what happened to mine. Any advice on 3rd party pcb replacements (or whatever is burnt)? Apparently line6 doesn’t have these parts anymore and really don’t like dealing with their legacy products. Was hoping the burning smell was a stroke, that would possibly have been fixable. A suppose a regular 9v power system would’ve been too easy? Let’s make a wacky proprietary TRS/ethernet/battery way to get power to our  firestarter? Varifukd

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

On 5/10/2024 at 10:54 AM, plipto said:

Woke up to my Variax smoldering at 4am with a pungent burning smell. Need advice on how to fix (if fixable?). Ive read that others have had pieces of string fall off inside the bridge/pizzo pickups assembly (during string change) and embedding somewhere on the pcb and shorting it out. I assume that’s what happened to mine. Any advice on 3rd party pcb replacements (or whatever is burnt)? Apparently line6 doesn’t have these parts anymore and really don’t like dealing with their legacy products. Was hoping the burning smell was a stroke, that would possibly have been fixable. A suppose a regular 9v power system would’ve been too easy? Let’s make a wacky proprietary TRS/ethernet/battery way to get power to our  firestarter? Varifukd

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

168 B · 2 downloads

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that aside from the Graphtech piezo saddles that some have opted for, there have never been any other 3rd party replacement guts for  the Variax...and certainly not the main board where all the fancy proprietary stuff lives. Organ harvesting from the used market is always an option, but unless you can steal one at a great price, it's probably not worth it. At this point, a catastrophic failures like this leaves you with a boat anchor...

• 4 months later...