Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with split signal

davidc2478

Hey guys! Sorry if this was covered but I need some help with signal path. After my amp I have my cab, after that I am looking to do a split. For example I would like the option to send my signal to path 1 which has a 1/4 delay and path 2 which has a 1/4 dot delay then converge back to one signal into reverb. BUT I also would like the ability to send my signal to either path 1 or path 2 then into  reverb.

Basically one is a parallel signal, the other is option of series signal. How can I do this? I hope that made sense. I get confused with how to use Split Y vs Split A/B especially with balance and volume changes.

You could set up an A/B split. When you do that, the split has a "route to" parameter which by default gives an even split to both paths, but can be changed to any blend of the two paths.

You could then set up three different snapshots, one with the split set to "even split", one with it set to 100% path A, another with it set to 100% path B. 

So I just gave it a try, I have a copy of my patch so that I can see the difference back and forth. One patch uses the Y split, the other one now has the A/B split. I found that the new A/B patch I created is much softer that the Y patch. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing or right/wrong. Any thoughts?

On 9/30/2024 at 3:14 PM, davidc2478 said:

Can someone help confirm if the volume difference is what happens when choosing A/B split vs Y split? 

Hi,

Yeah, it's a science thing - It known as Pan Law, but rather than send you to some Wiki about it, here's a great post from way back in 2019 which explains it.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 8:01 PM, gsmanon said:

You could set up an A/B split. When you do that, the split has a "route to" parameter which by default gives an even split to both paths, but can be changed to any blend of the two paths.

You could then set up three different snapshots, one with the split set to "even split", one with it set to 100% path A, another with it set to 100% path B. 

Assuming that he really only wants one path or the other and not combined, is it possible to assign a footswitch to the split block?

On 10/1/2024 at 4:47 AM, trhx said:

Assuming that he really only wants one path or the other and not combined, is it possible to assign a footswitch to the split block?

Hi,

Yes, you can use Command Centre to assign almost anything to some other thing. A/B splits are easy, or, you could use an expression pedal to sweep between the 2 options if you like.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

For my preset I like being able to send either an even split to 2 parallel delays, or delays in series. That was the purpose for me wanting to use A/B split. What threw me off was the volume change which I resolved by increasing the merge block by +3db. I only do this when I am splitting only to path A. There is no volume issue when doing an even split.

I use my expression pedal strictly for volume. Not a fan of how hard I need to click to get it to switch to EXP 2. I'm still deciding if I want to get a separate expression pedal for WAH or other sweep adjustments. 

Thanks guys for providing feedback!! Still have much to learn!

• Thanks 1