Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boot failure trying to update to 3.71

kerryhall1

Got the latest version of HX Edit which prompted me to update Helix rack to 3.71.

Before doing the update, I see the following in the instructions:

1212253992_Screenshotfrom2024-09-3012-12-44.png.7b37822696029b8a3cafd8f85d86b2a8.png

Cool, no problem there, I know this is going to come up.

Update proceeds, I see this message, it's frozen for two hours. There is no resume button in HX Edit.

From searching these forums, everyone says to use Line 6 Updater to manually recover / update. I try this and get:

722276434_Screenshotfrom2024-09-3012-12-57.png.1cfd52d98c5c3307589cc88d8ca1fd3e.png

Those dlls are definitely there...

471327859_Screenshotfrom2024-09-3012-20-00.png.475d7a5805e9530be3108c6f5016c769.png

How do I get "Line 6 Updater" to run so I can unbrick my Helix?

Honestly pretty frustrating that the docs say "this is normal, everything is fine" and then brick my device anyway, and then the recovery software is so buggy it won't even launch.

If the SW was "so buggy it won't even launch" it wouldn't work for ANYBODY!

Shut down Helix.

Reboot your computer.

Make sure that your computer is fully updated and not having any issues.

Uninstall HX Edit, reinstall including ALL drivers. 

Turn OFF Real-Time Virus scanners.

Start over, using Line6 Updater.

If you're still having problems, come back.

I know it's frustrating, and you'll REALLY hate this - I've had my Helix since 2016 and never had a single problem updating.

Some of us are just lucky. Hmmm...maybe I should check my Lotto ticket...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/30/2024 at 8:20 PM, kerryhall1 said:

How do I get "Line 6 Updater" to run so I can unbrick my Helix?

Honestly pretty frustrating that the docs say "this is normal, everything is fine" and then brick my device anyway, and then the recovery software is so buggy it won't even launch.

Hi,

I have to agree with @rd2rk about the software - the majority of failed updates are generally down to “user error”.

There are many, many threads in here which describe how to recover from a failed update - simply search, because life is too short for us to keep on typing out the same information, over and over again. Oh, look, there is one right here:-

Also bear in mind that when seeking assistance from Forum users it's a really good idea to supply as much information as possible regarding the computer and operating system, HX unit and DAW, you are using.

Furthermore, you should be aware that if you are using HX Edit to update over USB, and it fails, then ensure that HX Edit is fully closed down before attempting to run the Line 6 Updater as it cannot connect to your “failed state hardware” if HX Edit is still running. Never have other things running in the background during updates and don’t let the Updater lose focus, (don’t go clicking around on other stuff). 

Oh, it’s 8 years this month since I started to use my Helix floor and I never have issues with updates.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Like 2