Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV Variax and Variax59 - Batteries Charged but not powering Guitars

I owned Three Variaxes - the Original No Pickup Model (uses AA Bateries), a 59 (uses a Line6 camcorder Battery), and. JTV (Line6 Battery).  I have about six of the Line6 batteries.  I moved in 2020 and took me a while to unpack my studio, set everything up, and then go through the process of checking and updating all my gear (lots of guitars, Synths, amps, modelers).  I finally got around to playing all my quirky guitars.  First up, a Les Paul Robot Guitar - original one with the original Tronical Tuners.  I dug up my Robot charger, hooked it up, and it seemed to charge the guitar.  It did, but the next day, the guitar was dead.  I then ordered replacement internal batteries and after numerous tries, it charged and works.

Next up, I checked the Variaxes.  The JTV still had the battery in and showed three lights.  Between 2020 and now, I periodically charged all the Line6 batteries.  I tried all the other batteries in the JTV and no lights on all the batteries.  I bought three new Line6 batteries (notmdelivered yet, but I was slightly pissed that they appeared to,be charged but the guitars showed they were dead.  I watched a few Youtube videos on tricking the batteries and computer chip to have sufficient voltage.  I then bought a volt meter and touched all the + and - poles which showed that all the batteries had the correct voltage.  

I then updated Workbench HD but Workbench would not recognize the JTV using batteries.  I then dug out the TSR Cable and PowerBox, and Workbench recognized the JTV, Central updated it, and I backed up all my patches.  Now, the JTV works using batteries for playing purposes.

I did the same with the 59 - updated it and saved patches.  While the JTV operates on batteries, the 59 will only work using the powerbox and cable.  Does anyone know if there is a battery in the 59 that needs replacing (like a coin cpu board battery or the reason why the 59 will not recognize the batteries?

The original Variax still doesn't work after replacing the dead AAs.  I'm going to see whether the powerbox works, but I have to dig out my old MBP2013 to use the 32 bit Workbench.

Any advice would be appreciated.

First off, do not use camcorder batteries in the JTV's, they are not as compatible as you may have been lead to believe.

The JTV Line 6 battery is getting old and spent, and is not charging the way it should. 98-034-0003 is an older part number

on the battery, whereas 98-034-0009 is the current number.

Or, a failed solder point on the battery box circuit sending a false low volt signal to the main board. The JTV-59, battery

and charger should be checked out at the nearest Line 6 authorized service center.