Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp inside HXFX or HXFX inside Stomp?

optofonik

On 10/8/2024 at 7:24 AM, optofonik said:

With the guitar plugged into the Stomp, what are the pros and cons of each approach?

Hi, again,

I thought that this question had already been answered in your earlier post - here.

Asking the same question again, and expecting a different answer probably won’t work - it’s just opinion shopping.

Just consider this - this is all really a question of what works for you. There is no right and wrong way to patch this stuff together, unlike in the real world where if you get the wires crossed you might end up with the magic smoke emerging from your equipment. A little thought and planning goes a long way to achieving what you want.

Also, in another post on here, you ask  - “Critique my simple HX Stomp signal chain, please.”

Well, that could open up a whole new can of worms, because opinions are like belly buttons - everybody has one, and not all of them are the same. Furthermore, in that post you mention a Boomerang Looper and an EHX Oceans 12 - adding these 2 devices opens up yet another world of possibilities. There are many, many ways to patch stuff together, for instance while using my Helix floor I have been known to have an external looper (I have 4 different ones), a Yamaha SPX90, a Mooer Ocean Machine and a cheapo Zoom MS-70CDR in the 2 FX Loops for all sorts of sonic mayhem.

Rather the keep cross posting lots of questions of a similar nature, it might be best to sit down for a while, and play around with this stuff while having some end result in mind.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I believe that running a digital device in an effects loop of another digital device produces higher latency.  So it would be (whatever the latency of these devices is) * 3 (thereabouts).  Well... this would definitely result in higher latency than running one device into the other serially, where it would be latency + latency. 

That's why having one digital device is better than all these shoe gazers running 5 digital pedals together, where each one makes the signal more latent. 

Some people are really sensitive to latency, some are not.  I, for example cannot play drums well, period.  But digital drums really throw me off because of the.... latency.  I start to feel the latency when using transposition blocks.  And I can mostly adjust to it, but when I first go to those sounds it's really jarring to me.

Also if you use an effects loop, your sound degrades because of analog/digital conversion.  It's all pretty much negligible, but could be a factor if you really nitpick.