Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Guitar Output And String Muting..

Hi. Considering buying a jtv variax.

Is it possible to mute (turn off) individual strings?

If so, can you run 2 guitar models at the same time to run through the two different amp models?

Basically what I'm hoping to do is run in stereo, one side normal guitar into amp etc and the second side would be just the e and a strings, run through an octave pedal into a bass amp model? A digital version of what Scott from Local H does. (I'm having bass player issues!)

Would be very grateful if you are able to answer this!

yes you can mute strings using workbench,

you can only run one model... but you can run 2 sounds... meaning... one model, and the actual magnetic pickups can play at the same time (using a pod HD 500/500x, pro/prox)

without the pod, you can only get one sound out of the variax, as it has one regular guitar cable out...

the pod uses a variax cable, which can carry both tones.

• 5 months later...

How do you achieve 2 distinct sounds through the HD?

You can set up a dual tone with separate inputs for each path. For one path you'd choose the Variax magnetics for the input. For the other you'd choose the Variax modeling. So you can't have two modeled guitars at the same time, but you can have one modeled and the actual magnetic pickups.

Phil, this requires a 1/4" stereo cable, correct?  (I assume but have not yet determined as fact that the variax/ethernet cable does not carry "sound" to the HD.)

Nope, you do it with the VDI alone. The output from the modeling and the pickups are sent as separate channels of digital audio over the VDI connection.

After trying the VDI cable, I'm now having a dual tone nightmare.  Problem is, I don't have a dual path set up like Phil describes above, yet I'm somehow getting false notes (or something).  This ties in with my other question/thread, and I suspect there would be a common solution.  Please help me in the other thread (maybe just read my latest post at the bottom):

http://line6.com/support/topic/9837-my-new-jtv-69-has-bad-modeling/

THANKS!

I like this idea, I am going to try it next time I get my rig out! I was playing a patch on the GR-55 that was their version of Keith Richards where he doesn't use a low E string. It took me a minute to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound from the low E string!

Interesting idea, to be able to route specific strings to other tones; running the low E as the bass note - that concept is way cool.

Like the other guys said, when you program your HD500, using the VDI allows you to split the Variax mags vs the Variax models.

I was using that idea, splitting out the Variax mags signal, sending it out the FX loop, into a bunch of analog fx pedals, then back through the FX loop return. It gets tricky running two full amp models; the DSP goes quick.

Using your concept, you could get away with not using an amp model for the bass string part of the routing - but you'd have to use Workbench to build the guitar model to mute the top strings. However, rather than burn up precious DSP using the HD500x to pitch shift down an octave, you could do that with the JTV, in the model you create.

I would guess you might even want to include the A (5th string) as well, I guess it depends on how you are playing, types of chords, movement of low string lines.

But cool idea for sure! You could even pan your outputs hard left and right, send the bass notes to a bass amp or something.

One note that is worth mentioning - watch out for using "mono" effects before or after the dual input split. For example, if you put a noise gate after the mixer block, it will sum the stereo signal back to mono, and you won't have that split. When I was doing that dual-input thing, I dragged all the FX blocks into their respective amp chains, and had no FX pre or post the amp model split.

You could even do a "force" JTV / Variax model change for those patches, so when you want that configuration, it will change the model and settings accordingly.