Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help setting up a "boost" footswitch

mark_shaw

I want to be able to increase my patch volume by selecting a footswitch.  This would be used to get a volume boost for solos.

I would prefer to assign a footswitch to either the amp or mixer volumn, but that doesn't appear to be possible.  I know I could turn on a compressor pedal to achieve a volumn boost, but that also effects the overal patch tone, which I want to avoid.

Can someone recommend a way of doing this?

Thanks.

You can use one of the EQ models - I think it's either STUDIO EQ or GRAPHIC EQ - or maybe both or another one (but not the MID RANGE EQ which gives a mid range boost) - sorry don't have the HD500 to hand to check - but one of those EQ models set at default levels and just increasing the GAIN setting as needed can be assigned to a FS and give you just a volume boost without effecting TONE.

Another method that works pretty well is the FX Loop block. This only works if you're not already using it for something else.

• Put a short jumper cable form the FX Loop "Out" to the FX Loop "In" jacks.
  • Put the FX Loop block somewhere in the chain. You can put it before an amp, or overdrive stompbox to get more drive, or if you don't want to change the overall tone, just make it louder, put it at the very end of the chain.
  • Set the level controls of the FX Loop block: I'm not looking at it right now, so I don't remember exactly, but there are 2 controls: Input & Output or something like that. I normally set one at unity or no gain, and one to +3db or +6db or whatever level you need. You'll have to experiment with these settings to get what you want.
  • Assign the FX Loop to one of the footswitches to turn it on and off.

I've used this many times & it makes a good booster. Don't forget the patch cable or it won't work.

B)

Studio EQ is the cleanest boost. The problem with the FX idea is that you go thru an additional set of DAC-ADC conversions. It also doesn't save any FX blocks, although it DOES save CPU horsepower. I use the Studio EQ for this.