Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ALt Tunings and Virtual Capo WorkBench HD

I created an alt tuning for Open G, saved it to my JTV69 using Manage in tunings, replacing the Baritone setting  and it works properly when selecting the Baritone option on the alt tuning knob on any model as I wanted. My issue is I created 3 other tunings in workbench HD  that are equal to having a capo on fret 1, 2 and 4 saved them as Capo +1, Capo +2, Capo +4. When I replace one of the alt tunings as I have done with the open G they don't sound correct. These are basically Virtual Capo's. Am I correct in saying that if these worked correctly and I play a normal E cord it should sound the same as it would in standard tuning with a real capo on the actual frets as above. As it doesn't when saving the alt capo tunings and selecting them is there something I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

Earl

If you can successfully save an open G tuning then I can't see any reason why you can't save a virtual capo tuning - from the JTV perspective it's the same thing - that is, you are just altering the note of each string to the saved tuning.

When you say it does not sound correct - what exactly do you mean?   Are some of the notes reproduced correctly and some not - or are all the notes reproduced incorrectly?   And the ones that are incorrect - how far out are they?

Im looking at buying a JTV 69 soon.  The virtual capo is intriguing.  So once you enter the custom mode on the JTV itself you just pluck the notes of the fret you are wanting to be the new open position?  So if i wanted play an "Eb" in open position i could just alt tune to the 1st fret and play a "D" chord? Is that how it works?

String settings in workbench HD with netural body

Capo +1

F A# D# G# C F

Capo +2

F# B E A C# F#

Capo +4

G# C# F# B D# G#

As I explained previously if I use a real capo the above tunings sound correct but when I replace one of the alt tunings a straight E cord doesn't sound as I would if I had the real capo on and played the straight E chord. If you change models after setting the alt tuning it actually sounds worse. Not the case with the open G I created and saved, it works with all models

Thanks

Earl

Im looking at buying a JTV 69 soon.  The virtual capo is intriguing.  So once you enter the custom mode on the JTV itself you just pluck the notes of the fret you are wanting to be the new open position?  So if i wanted play an "Eb" in open position i could just alt tune to the 1st fret and play a "D" chord? Is that how it works?

The virtual capo is programmed based on fret 12 being the nut - so virtual capo 1 would be programmed by playing strings at 13th fret, capo 2 at 14th fret etc. This also allows you to go the other way, so virtual capo -1 would be fret 11, -2 fret 10, etc ....

• 2 weeks later...