Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 with studio monitors FRFR vs dt25

Hello, I have been running an HD500x going directly into powered studio monitors (krk rokit 5's) via the headphone out. I recently purchased a Dt25 and plugged my main guitar directly into it not using the hd500x at all, thinking that I might be gaining some kind of tube tone that had been lacking in my previously mentioned setup.

My initial impression after the first night is one of disappointment at the dt25 in comparison to the hd500x plugged directly into my studio monitors. 

I found the speaker to be very directional. I pretty much had to have the amp elevated and be standing right in front of it, and then had to move out of that sweet spot to reach the knobs on top and make any kind of adjustment. Also my wife who was upstairs said that I was playing much louder than usual (usual being going into the studio monitor speakers), while I felt that I wasn't loud enough to get a good tone.

I have seen alot of rave reviews of the dt amps from people who are accustomed to traditional amps and plug a dt50 into a big marshall cabinet. I haven't seen alot of feedback from people who are going from direct hd500 to dt25 and am curious as to what people think.

A little bit about my situation. I pretty much just play in a home studio and record as a solo project and have no real need to be on stage any time in the foreseeable future. I own a jtv59 and got the dt25 to complete the "dream rig" but am now wondering if the jtv59 and hd500x may be all I need going direct into pa or studio monitor speakers at home.

Also does anyone know if the headphone out on the hd500x is still operational with the l6 cable connected? It occurs to me that I might get a bigger sound using the dt25 connected by l6 at the same time as hd500 into the monitor speakers.

I would appreciate any feedback from people who have tried both the dt amps and the hd pods into speakers. 

The problem you're having is typical of anyone trying to get a good tone out of a valve amp when you're using a fraction of its total power. Valve amps sound great when they're turned up, but are not your best solution at bedroom levels.

Running the DT25 in low volume mode (IMO) negates any of the positive reasons for using a valve amp. 25 watts of valve power is actually quite a lot (hell, 10 watts class A is even louder), so what you've really got is an amp designed for gigging volume. So your HD500/KRKs are a much better option.

Unfortunately that means you'll essentially need two sets of patches if you want to use your HD500 with the DT25, as well as with studio monitors. If you're the kind of person who programs multiple patches per song, this can be a lot of work. It's not too big of a deal if you're only using a few different sounds/patches, but then you'd probably be better off buying a few nice analog pedals. They're more immediate, sound even nicer (esp. disortions/overdrives) and easily tweakable.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going the direct out route from the HD500X, then I'd be using either the 1/4" outs or the XLR outs. Also double check that the Output (Hold View-->Page 4 (Outputs)) and make sure that Studio/Direct is selected.

Personally, the following is KEY to getting good tone out of both the POD and the DT:

If you're going to use the POD and the DT together via L6 Link, you need to make sure that your "amp" selections on your POD are the PRE-amp versions and not the full amp versions. In this case make sure that the Output (View--> Page 4 (Outputs)) has either Combo Power (DT25 Combo) or Stack Power (DT25 Head).

I love the tone of my DT25 head cranked, but I use the Direct Out from the head into my recording interface on the computer. I also have a dummy load box connected to the amp, so the amp thinks there's a speaker cabinet connected, which allows me to harness the Power Tubes.

As mentioned, tubes sound better cranked up.   I think they still hold up well under more moderate volumes and sound quite nice, but, you only get that cranked tube amp sound from them if you crank them.

Also, you need enough volume to get the speakers moving a bit.  Not necessarily cranked, but conversation volume will usually leave something to be desired.

I have had a DT25 combo for awhile now, and that has never really done the trick for me, although it works very nice in the setting that I have used it most in.

More recently I have purchased a DT25 Head, but instead of the 1x12 extension cabinet I got a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab (Vertical) to go with it.  Now, *there* is a sound that I enjoy.   I guess that I am just a sucker for that 4x12 closed back sound, and this setup does the trick, as well as being a bit more portable, even though it is a rather large 2x12 (But, it is certainly not the size of a 4x12).

It is not that the combo sounded bad, it just never felt right to me.   I think I am far too used to that 'thump' that seems to only come from a closed back cab.  The recto cab has different speakers in, also making a difference that I like a lot better.  I very well might not have liked the DT25 Head and 1x12 Line 6 cab, but I cannot answer that one, since that is not the route I went.

One thing to mention, usually closed back cabs (Whether 1x12, 2x12 or even 4x12) tend to be even more directional.   That could be another thing that I am just plain used to myself. :)

For both gigs and recording, I have gone both Pod direct at times, and Pod through amp at times.   Both have worked out just fine (Well, except once, but not my fault the sound tech was too afraid to take the mic out of the HD and insisted that I go through their Fender Twin, which my patches were not setup for at all).

You'll probably be happier just using the HD direct (and, it is a bit less hassle).  For about 90% of the time, that works for me.

The other 10%?  Playing with a live rock band.  It just does not feel right playing stuff from the Who to Metallica and beyond without having a cranked up stack. :D

One tip though:  If ever playing out, make sure to have your own monitoring system, whether it's an amp, headset or in ear monitor.   Do *not* be at the mercy of the sound techs there.  I have been burned one too many times on that one.

• Upvote 1

...Playing with a live rock band.  It just does not feel right playing stuff from the Who to Metallica and beyond without having a cranked up stack. :D...

here is a classic rock band playing live who, with the jtv-->vdi--.hd500-->xlr direct stereo-->pa topology, no tubes at all...

When I first started reading about the X3 Pro I remember a post about how good they sound just going into a PA from the XLR or 1/4" outs. Later there was another thread about the HD500 using it the same way, so I eventually I tried it and it sounded really good, this set up eliminated the lugging around of heavy tube amps for gigging musicians saving there backs. There is no dought in my mind that the HD500 or even the X3 Pro run into the PA via XLR is all you really need. That video jandrio posted sounds purty good and I like the Who and that song.

• Upvote 1

here is a classic rock band playing live who, with the jtv-->vdi--.hd500-->xlr direct stereo-->pa topology, no tubes at all...

That sounds really nice!!  I won't even deny that.  :)

But, I did mention that 10% was the feel though.   If I could get that same *feel* direct, I would never bother with a head and cab. :)