Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to assign EXP-2 to Amp Ch Volume

Hey_Joe

I was messing with some of the factory HD500 presets in BEST OF HD and ran across the patch named Singing Lead 6B. One of the few that sounds pretty good out of the box to me before any tweaking.

I tried to recreate the patch with the full amp, not just the pre used in this preset, with the full amp set to the same setting as the pre. My question is, looking at the AMP settings in EDIT 500, how did they assign the Divide 9/15 CH VOL to EXP-2? I remember early on people were saving DSP by using the volume pedal to control the output/drive(OD-Dist) and can't find any posts by Searching on how to do this now  - if this is what is going on here.

Can any 500 Gurus help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

Hey_Joe

I think I answered my own question. So from your HD500, first make sure EXP 2 is selected. Then, go to your HD Edit and select "CONTROLERS". Then select your amp from the "MODEL" drop down menu. Now, in the 'PARAMETER" drop down menu select CH VOL. Now, in the "CONTROLLER" drop down menu select EXP-2. Now, and this is critical, save it to you HD500 by going to SEND and pressing selected. I can't remember why exactly but as I recall I had issues with the patch losing my expression pedal edits if I didn't save (SEND) them immediately to the HD500. I think part of it was I would assign my expression pedal and then immediately try it which, again as I recall, would cause it to revert to the old state. Bottom line, save your patch immediately after editing it and you should be good. If you want to be able to switch this off and on, let me know there are several ways to do it depending on what you need. You get a lot of options with the CONTROLLERS which is good but because of that it took awhile for me to wrap my head around it. Essentially you can assign anything to anything Hope this works.

Thanks scottyo78 - I'll watch the video - getting a new computer today - the works - so, I might not be able to watch right away.

Thanks brue58ski -

I'll try what you said and I know what you mean about not touching the EXP pedal before Sending but what puzzles me are the the screen shots for Controllers and the FX. No sign of EXP-2 being assigned. You can see if you look at the patch from Edit it looks different than you describe.

You don't have EXP-2 selected in the CONTROLLER drop down menu below the PARAMETER drop down menu. It only says OFF. Also don't forget to make the MIN 0% and the max 100% like I forgot to tell you to do. And you won't see anything in the FX area to indicate what happened. Go to the AMPS section and you'll see EXP-2 under CH VOL instead of a number and percent sign. See the pic's I've attached.

I just notice you have a wah. You need to do one more thing. Make sure your WAH is off. Then in the CONTROLLERS section, go to the MODEL drop down menu, select CH VOL, then go to the FS ASSIGN drop down menu and select EXP TOE SWITCH. SAVE. Then, Just to make sure every thing is good, you need to first make sure EXP 1 is selected on your HD500, then go back to your FX section, turn your WAH on, go back to the CONTROLLERS section, go to the MODEL drop down menu and select Throaty and make sure the FS ASSIGN is set to EXP TOE SWITCH. SAVE. So what should happen as you engage the TOE SWITCH is it should switch back and forth between the wah and the ch vol. I'm not at my 500 so I haven't checked this but I'm pretty sure this will all get you where you want to be. I'll check it later.

brue58ski -

Just in case there's a communication error happening here...

My screen shots are from the actual Factory HD500 preset so what I have and don't have as you explain it is the way Line 6 gave us this patch. I just got a new computer yesterday and the place that put the system together for me made all kinds of errors and delivered wrong parts - so, I'll be dealing with that primarilily before I can get to trying your advice out. But at first read through it sounds like you are suggesting I have put the patch together wrong and all I wanted to make sure of is that you understand that it's a Line 6 creation.

Thanks again for responding and helping.

No problem man. I didn't think you were coming off condescending or judgmental. I just thought that you thought I created that patch and all I was originally trying to ask is how did they create it with special emphasis on the Amp CH Vol and the EXP-2 controller.

Thanks for your help and time. I only took all your advice as help and just thought like I said above that there was miscommunication on me being the patch creator and not being able to get it to work. Thanks again bru58ski.