Sign in to follow this  
SirChipALot

Best way to use AMPLIFi with HD500

I purchased the AMPLIFi 150 the day it came out.  Thought the iOS concept was a cute idea for high school garage bands, so I didn't have any real expectations that it would work for any professional applications.  For me, the price alone justified the Bluetooth stereo feature while jamming along/practicing.  But I was sorely disappointed that the advertised "revolutionary 5-speaker stereo system" didn't truly work with any of the guitar tones. However, I accidentally found out that if I use a 1/4" stereo out of the HD500's headphone jack to a 1/8" stereo cable into the AUX IN on the back of the amp, I've now got sonic paradise!  Granted, it's similar results I'd get plugging into a PA system, but I'm much happier with the tones now. Reasonable price for a small stereo guitar reference monitor that steams audio content.

I had the same experience except for I specifically went out to purchase the amplifi 75 watt version as an emergency stage monitor for HD500x and have been very happy.

Two caveats…you don't get the full volume potential as you do when you plug into the guitar input jack.  Also, the high ends tend to break up a bit when cranked.

Variax acoustics sound great this way too!

You should be aware that the AMPLIFi 12" speaker is really only a subwoofer when using it as a stereo PA/monitor (aux in).  That means the bulk of the sound is coming from the mid and hi drivers which are pretty small physically.  I am sure volume isn't an issue when using as a guitar amp with internal modeling but when using as a stereo PA/monitor at volume for long periods I have to wonder how long those smaller drivers will hold up...