Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd 500 Into Dt25, What The Right Preset Setting?

endless72

Hi,

after solving an issue on Pod HD 500 drive knob I've finally tried it with DT25 amp (L6 link) at the right volume with the band.

Ok, great impression about sound and loudness...I'm quite satisfied..Even the XLR direct output from DT25 to the mixer seems to work properly (considering the bad quality of our PA speakers).....but I have some doubts about distorted/High gain sounds.

Now I want just to ask to everyone have the PoD HD + DT amp what's their favorites setting.

I use Amp models PRE only, and i notice that it's sound good if a use the speaker simulation also with clean sounds (I.e. Tweed pre + 4x10 Tweed or 2x12 Deluxe).

I found difficult understand if the cabinet simulation it's too much with distorted or high gain sounds.

What's your idea about?

From the moment that the Amp has its own speaker (it seems a quality speaker also)...do you think it's too much add also the speaker simulation?

This because I have created some Clean/Twang/Crunchy sounds (Stones oriented) with the speaker simulation also and I love them, but I don't find the same results with distorted (so actually I prefer to disable the Cabinet emulation).

I mean distorted sound for rhythm or lead for rock-Hard rock (not Metal)

This considering always that the behavior of the amp DT25 is exactly has you expect from a tube amp...so it changes completely from low volume (home practice) to live use (40-50 % of master volume is my setting)…and I can’t test the presets at home at the right volume (living in a flat)

Any comment will be appreciated.

I hope my English is good enough to be understood.

• Downvote 1

Playing live, I pretty much disable cab emulation, and use only pre-amp models.  It's much more pure that way.  The DT25 has a great power amp, cab, and speaker.  I don't need redundant software emulations of each of those.  Plus, the cab emulations are basically just EQ's with some extra features, which can't take into account the speakers or cabinet you're currently using.  I like to let the cabinet and speakers handle the job, like with a regular tube amp.  If I want a large 4x12 sound on stage, I'd rather use a 4x12 then try to EQ a 1x12.  The cabinet models and power-amp models only work for me when I'm running straight to a PA.  Just my preference.

And yes, the DT25/50 will behave like any other tube amp at different volumes.  That's one thing I love about the POD HD500 / DT25 setup.  I can use Line6's excellent pre-amp models and effects, but I get genuine tube amp overdrive and cabinet/speaker interaction.  You have to set up your patches at full volume when doing it this way, but it's worth it.

I think its best to let your ears make the final call. In a live situation, I only use a couple of amp models. The Gibtone is a pre and the Blackface is full. That works for me pretty well. Now I am experimenting with a Plexi and I am starting with the full model. Remember, when using full models, there is more fine tuning available to you. Adjusting the Sag, Hum, Bias Bias X along with the Early Reflection and other cab options gives you the opportunity to explore some good stuff. You just gotta find the time to tweak and a place to tweak at volume!

That was my idea also.

The problem remains the behavior of the amp that it completely different from home using to live application (I don't use Low volume mode because it limitate too much the tone range, but even normal mode at low volume is different)

But the advantage you take from amp response is priceless at the end, because you have the right punch to emerge in the instruments mix.

I just need to understand the relation between this two ways of playing and adjust it.

That was my idea also.

The problem remains the behavior of the amp that it completely different from home using to live application (I don't use Low volume mode because it limitate too much the tone range, but even normal mode at low volume is different)

But the advantage you take from amp response is priceless at the end, because you have the right punch to emerge in the instruments mix.

I just need to understand the relation between this two ways of playing and adjust it.

If what you mean by "home using" and "live application" is playing with the volume low and playing with the volume high respectively, then, YES, there is a big difference in what the amp will do. Which is why I made the point of mentioning that you need to find a place to teak your settings "At Volume" meaning, the volume turned up as if you are playing live. jws1982 mentioned the same thing:

......You have to set up your patches at full volume when doing it this way, but it's worth it.

Every amp is going to be different from room to room. so you may have to make some minor adjustments to basic amp eq and possibly reverb. But if you have set everything up at volume, it shouldn't be that difficult to dial in a great tone no matter what room you are playing in.

This makes me think of a feature the Vetta amps had, which would be pretty useful on the dream rig.  The vetta had a master treble/bass section, which you could use to adjust for room changes and fletcher-munson curves.

This makes me think of a feature the Vetta amps had, which would be pretty useful on the dream rig.  The vetta had a master treble/bass section, which you could use to adjust for room changes and fletcher-munson curves.

When you say "the dream rig" are you referring to the actual dream rig or just to the DT50?

I meant the HD500/DT50.  Having a Global EQ on the HD500, separate from all the patches, would let you make quick adjustments for whatever venue you're at.  Right now, if you use an HD500/DT50 combo, you'd have to use the FX loop with an external EQ pedal in it at the end of every patch.

There's a place I play occasionally where my DT25 ends up in the corner of the stage.  Proximity effect increases the bass response too much in that location.  When I play there, it'd be nice to have a master EQ on my HD500 to dial the low end back a little without having to adjust any patches.

Right now, if you use an HD500/DT50 combo, you'd have to use the FX loop with an external EQ pedal in it at the end of every patch.

why not put that eq in the amps fx loop instead? The hd500 fx loop is noisy and loses some of the signal gain

• 3 months later...