These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Line 6 Lounge

Output level too low on Pod 2.0
by Anothe on 2010-01-10 00:26:11

Trying to record from Pod 2.0 to simple laptop with built in soundcard.  I know this is not an amazing soundcard.

Getting waay too much hiss.  This is not EMF buzz, but the Pod's hiss and it is very loud.

I followed the advice on one of the FAQs on this site and got a 2xquarter inch mono to 1xeighth inch stereo Y cable.  Connected the 2 mono sides to the Pod 2.0 TRS outs, and the eight inch side to the line in of the soundcard.  Signal was in stereo and left and right were good but it was too low compared with the loud hiss coming from the pod 2.0.  Then tried just going from the left TRS into the soundcard using a mono instrument cable with a quarter to eighth adapter.  Same problem with loud hiss.

As a workaround I am now recording from the mic out of the pod 2.0 into the line in of the soundcard.  This gets the signal loud enough to cover the hiss and is acceptable I guess.  But I figure this is not the "right" way to do it.

Any suggestions please on how to use the TRS outs and still get the signal high enough?

Settings -

The DI/AIR was set to DI

Output and channel both set to 10 like the manual said to do for best sound and lowest noise

Tried different amp presets

Thank you in advance.

Re: Output level too low on Pod 2.0
by Anothe on 2010-01-16 13:00:31

65 views (thanks) and yet no comments.

It could be that this problem has no solution.

But in case it does, is my description clear?  Does anybody need more information?

Thanks everybody.

by ITD09 on 2010-01-22 06:39:04

I just posted the same sort of question. But I'm going from the POD to a dirt cheap Behringer Audio Interface, but when I go to record the output level coming through is pretty weak so I have to boost the output level which then distorts when I try to record. Hopefully we'll get a couple suggestions that'll help solve the problem.

by ercatto on 2010-08-21 00:14:32

Hi,

sorry for the delayed reply, but this is the first time i visit the community...

Trying to record from Pod 2.0 to simple laptop with built in soundcard.  I know this is not an amazing soundcard.

Getting waay too much hiss.  This is not EMF buzz, but the Pod's hiss and it is very loud.

1. I've same problem. If you want good result use a GOOD external soundcard
  2. Try to use the internal noise gate (see below)

I followed the advice on one of the FAQs on this site and got a 2xquarter inch mono to 1xeighth inch stereo Y cable.  Connected the 2 mono sides to the Pod 2.0 TRS outs, and the eight inch side to the line in of the soundcard.  Signal was in stereo and left and right were good but it was too low compared with the loud hiss coming from the pod 2.0.  Then tried just going from the left TRS into the soundcard using a mono instrument cable with a quarter to eighth adapter.  Same problem with loud hiss.

possible solutions:

1. cable is too cheap: low quality cable = low quality sound
  2. try to set your line input level. you can do that with a recording software able to monitor input level.
  3. don't use mono cable into a stereo input.
  4. Again Use internal noise gate (see below)
As a workaround I am now recording from the mic out of the pod 2.0 into the line in of the soundcard.  This gets the signal loud enough to cover the hiss and is acceptable I guess.  But I figure this is not the "right" way to do it.

I don't know if this the right way, 'cos my POD 2.0 don't have mic outs!!!

my POD just have Left and Right outputs.Where are my mic outs?

<a target=new href=http://it.line6.com/pod20/images/ins01.jpg" class="jive-image" src="http://it.line6.com/pod20/images/ins01_r17295.jpg"/>

Try these:

• Use your Y cable, connect Left and Right Pod outputs to your PC line input;
  • A.I.R. Mode on DIRECT!
  • start a recording software, monitor your line input
  • try to get the right "balance" from the POD's output level and the PC's input level. You must never go Over 0dB!
  • Some POD amps are very noisy, that's normal. POD have an internal noise gate. try to push the related button. if you want, you can try to set the right noise gate's level. you can do that via "Line6 Edit" or via MIDI if you want (read the manual).

when i practice with backtracks and i don' need big quality i use POD directly connected to PC.

when i need to rec i don't use a DI box between POD and PC. I instead use a better soundcard (M-Audio Firewire 1814), with high quality cables.

hope this help.

P.S. Sorry for bad English.

Max

by Anothe on 2011-10-07 16:43:39

Thanks for your tips, but it still doesn't seem to work. 

Maybe my latest experiment will give you the information you're looking for.  Help appreciated!

Since posting the above I have been recording straight from the phones jack into the line in on my soundcard (1/4 inch to 1/8 inch cable).

The other day I got a Tascam US 122 Mk II interface hoping this might help things. 

1. I set up the pod to a nice clean tone.  Monitored on OK monitoring headphones and it sounded great.

2. Plugged the Pod 2.0 into my soundcard using the 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch stereo cable.  Recorded something.  Sounded great.

Here's the trouble:

3. Removed cable from phones jack and computer.  Attached the Pod 2.0's Left Output to the Tascam 122 MkII's Left line input with a guitar cable.  Did same with the right output to the right line in on the Tascam.

4. Mode was still set to Direct, as always.

5. Monitored the output of the Tascam directly (using its phones plug).  Terribly noisy.

Also, had to crank the left and right line levels on the Tascam just to get the signal light to light up.  The guitar and the Pod are on highest volume, output level, and channel volume.

6. Recorded via the USB cable from the Tascam to my computer.  Terribly noisy.

Now I thought maybe the Pod 2.0's Left Output and Right Output are faulty.  So I plugged the guitar directly into the Tascam's Guitar in (right input) and set its switch to Guitar (it had been on line in).  And recorded via Tascam's USB to the computer.  Sounded much better, even better than recording from the Pod 2.0's Phones jack.

So it seems that the phones out of the Pod 2.0 sounds great, and the Tascam's mono guitar line sounds great, but as soon as the Pod 2.0's Left Output and Right Output are involved, it is very noisy. 

I even tried recording as above using just the Pod 2.0's left OR right outputs, and got about half the previous noise on each, but still way higher than what comes out of the phones or the Tascam direct.

Here's my question:

Based on this, does anyone have an idea what's going on?  Is there a fix to the Left/Right Output noise issue on the Pod 2.0?  Or am I doing something wrong?

by peterbennett26 on 2012-12-30 14:49:36

I'm surprised that nobody from LIne 6 jumped in to answer this, perhaps you should copy and paste this into a formal support request. It's an important question that Line 6 tech should address.

by phil_m on 2013-01-01 07:52:46

The hiss is due to the fact that laptop soundcards are universally horrible, especially the 1/8" in. They're designed to be used with a microphone, so they have a cheap preamp in the circuit. That's why you're getting so much hiss.

The 1/4" outs on the POD line level and balanced, and they should be relatively quiet. I've recorded almost a whole album using a POD 2.0, and noise was never an issue. Actually, I'm surprised you seem to be having an issue with not having enough level. You should have plenty of level coming from the 1/4" outs.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.