These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Toneport UX1, poor driver and buffer changes do NOTHING!
by KimtheButcher on 2010-09-29 16:24:17

Guys at Line6,

I have been having issues with the poor drivers/firmware corresponding with my Toneport UX1.

The issue is this:

Using the device in Cubase 5, very distinct pops, distortion, crackles, and just a FIZZ type signal, for around 5 seconds - this happens every 15-20 seconds during playback, both in DAW and natively in OS (for example playing mp3's also through Winamp).

My issue is that changing the buffer settings, both WITHIN MY DAW AND IN THE LINE 6 CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS, does nothing to recify this.

i have uninstalled, reinstalled, etc too many times to mention, and frankly, i am over the issues that come with this device. What is the point of having this as a recording device IF IT DOES NOT WORK?

Now, I would like to know why the change in buffer settings in my case does nothing to alleviate this. i have narrowed it down to the UX1 as my Delta 44, and AC-97 on board card work FLAWLESSLY.

Also, i installed GearBox recently and this issue has worsened severely since then.

My system has nothing to do with this issue, as i have contained the problem to the toneport alone.

I note this has been an issue for a number of years now with AMD users also. Not on.

So - when are we to receive working drivers that fix these issues for people? When are we as customers to receive applications AND SUPPORT that works? I was planning to upgrade both to POD Farm 2 VST, AND the metal shop/effects packs, but....if the device/software does not work for me now, then upgrading and wasting another $300 or so on a product that does not work as is intended would be even more of a waste of my time.

Looking forward to any assistance at all, and to having a device i can actually use to record as opposed to using it as something i sit my empty coffee cup on.

EDIT: Also, if i leave the session, with no audio playing, within 10 minutes or so of leaving the session in cubase i just get a wall of white noise, the only way to stop this (temporarily) is to reset the UX1 device within Cubase' VST audio system dialog.

i look forward to a swift resolution of this issue all at line6.

Re: Toneport UX1, poor driver and buffer changes do NOTHING!
by KimtheButcher on 2010-09-29 17:08:09

Hi all,

As an update to this issue:

If i reinstall the latest drivers through monkey, then restart my DAW + session, i can use the device for around 20 minutes or so, then back to the distortion. Can someone help me?

I've of course done all the recommended optimisations to run gearbox + pod farm, but, i still cannot use this device as intended.

I cannot even use this as a DI, as the entire signal is distorted and i cannot even monitor through my DAW.

I've had this for almost a month now and it has been nothing but issues, and i am still thinking this issue is solely related to drivers more than anything (as none of the buffer changes i make seem to take effect). Also, it seems the more changes i make within the buffer settings dialog makes the issue worse, and the device less and less responsive. System restarts do nothing at all to alleviate this.

Please help me guys!

RE: Toneport UX1, poor driver and buffer changes do NOTHING!
by ricksox on 2010-10-01 15:16:35

Kim,

We just released drivers that should improve on these issues yesterday. Please download driver 4.1.1.7 and see if your situation improves. Thanks.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Toneport UX1, poor driver and buffer changes do NOTHING!
by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-02 16:23:24

Line6Miller,

thanks for the update. I'll install the driver today, have a play with this in cubase ande let you know my results.

Cheers,

by ricksox on 2010-10-04 12:33:09

Hi Kim,

Any update on how the new driver is performing on your system?

Line6Miller

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-04 16:28:39

Hi champion,

I have installed the driver - no initial change immediately, both in pod farm and gearbox to my DAW, and that is after removing/reinstalling driver.

I have reinstalled my OS, DAW and software, to alleviate any residual driver files, next up is pod farm - i'll be playing with this pretty heavily today so i can give you my best feedback on the new driver version and how it works with my workflow.

thanks for your help mate and for the follow up, i'll post as soon as i can to help out the community \m/

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-04 22:46:41

Line6Miller,

Nothing b ut negative feedback i'm afraid. Driver change has had no impact whatsoever regarding the buffering issues.

I'm controlling the buffer changes within cubase, there is a little discernible change even when i use a buffer size of 1Mb, with a 'medium' tonedirect buffer setting - resulting in a 25ms latency setting within cubase, totally unusable in every respect i'm afraid. If I disconnect the toneport, restart the pc and don't touch the buffer settings i'm okay for around 15-20 mins, sometimes less, then, BAM - i get an earful of extreme distortion/white noise. And i need to restart the pc to be able to use the toneport again in cubase.

What are my options for having this resolved dude?

Currently, i cannot monitor the signal within cubase, so i can't modify the settings on the fly, nor record the signal in cubase. Basically i can use pod farm standalone, and that's it, i can't even use the device as a DI in cubase, so i'm pretty much screwed. If i change the ASIO driver to either WDM or DirectX settings no issues (with limited testing) - but even worse latency issues also of course.

Please, someone from line6 help! I still think this is a buffer/streaming driver issue - playback of any source outside of my DAW's (mainly cubase, but ableton 5 and Reaper also as tests) is fine, but i want to use the toneport as a recording interface, and i'm pretty well stuck.

cheers,

by ricksox on 2010-10-05 11:21:11

Kim,

That burst of white noise historically has been contributed to certain chip set issues. Common driver issues will pop and click but not discharge white noise.

Take a look at this FAQ to see what I mean:

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4282

I think in your case (and this is rare)you may want to try a PCMCIA USB card on your computer. i've had to do this with an old DEll Desktop I had and it worked beautifully.

What's odd is that this driver has improved performance on so many others' iCore machines.

We're still working on the driver and trying to make it better.

Line6Miller

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-05 15:01:02

hi Line6miller,

that's cool mate, i'm looking into this moreso today as well. As a start, last night i:

uninstalled all my chipset drivers (Intel P55 chipset), uninstalled all toneport drivers, then did the reverse - updated all chipset/USB drivers (i have 3 separate USB controllers on-board), updated line6 drivers, installed pod farm..still these problems.

i actually thought i had it at one point, but then monitoring the wet signal through cubase for another 15 minutes and this issue came up again. i'm sure it's not my DAWs themselves, all other variations of the drivers work (directx and wdm within the cubase settings).

Honestly mate, as a workaround for the meantime, i'm running the latest asio4all drivers as a test, and while theres' still some 'ghosting' with the monitored signal, i'm getting a clear stream of samples.

That burst of white noise historically has been contributed to certain chip set issues. Common driver issues will pop and click but not discharge white noise.

Take a look at this FAQ to see what I mean:

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4282

I think in your case (and this is rare)you may want to try a PCMCIA USB card on your computer. i've had to do this with an old DEll Desktop I had and it worked beautifully.

What's odd is that this driver has improved performance on so many others' iCore machines.

the odd thing is, i've been trying the toneport on the additional usb controllers on my mobo (extra USB chipsets not pertaining to the P55 chipset), but with you're help mate, we're getting closer to sorting this out. I might try and purchase an internal controller today.

I'll keep you posted mate on how this goes, but you're being really helpful - i'm scouring the net for an answer on this!

by ricksox on 2010-10-08 11:00:10

Hi Kim,

The latest driver release was to address some pops and clicks and drop outs attributed to issues on our end. I believe we've improved the driver a great deal but I know it's still not perfect. That's why we're still working on it.

Bursts of white noise can be pretty difficult to trouble shoot and if you've already tried various PCMCIA cards etc then I'm wondering if maybe some other hardware on your system is causing this.

Anyway, keep me posted with what you find out.

Line6Miller

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-08 18:29:22

Hi dude,

I wish I could show you a demonstration of the issue. It is purely an ASIO streaming issue, nothing more. ASIO4ALL drivers are working perfectly.

The bursts of static i experience can be stopped briefly (once playback is stopped in my DAW), but either stopping/restarting playback or by resetting/changing the ASIO device. All DirectX/WDM functions of the device work as expected in the OS, it is only affecting ASIO perfrormance. The main thing that bugs me is that changes to the buffer settings don't do anything to affect this problem, as it honestly should, IMO.

When i switch to ASIO4ALL drivers i get a 6ms latency setting, using a buffer size of 256 samples. The massive difference between latencies in driver versions (using a buffer size of 256 samples in the UX1 ASIO settings would give me at least 15ms, almost 3 times the amount of latency between the 2 drivers) lead me to think that with the OS version i am using, the device is not actually streaming ASIO data as it should, and not really operating as a low latency ASIO device at all. I am unclear at the moment, but research points that this may only be an issue with Windows 7 and it's hardware abstraction layers, but i'm looking into this.

Effectively i'm also running a dedicated (although on-board) USB hub (an NEC chip), and the UX1 is the only connected device.

I've been in Information Technology, specifically Network/Infrastructure and Device support, so i have a background of troubleshooting these issues personally - but this has still got me scratching my head. This issue is only affecting ASIO streaming performance, so it leads me to believe this is a driver-only issue (using a 3rd party driver works as it should, flawlessly almost) - also, USB streaming performance issues as experienced by a large part of the windows 7 community does not have much bearing with my issue - system/media performance using WDM/DirectX drivers works nicely with no problems. Monitoring the ASIO signal in my DAW, but using the DirectX/WDM drivers plays back audio with no problems.

For the meantime i am okay using ASIO4ALL as the driver setting in my DAW to use the UX1.

I want to purchase/upgrade to POD Farm 2 & the metal/FX packs to try some presets i have borrowed from the line6 community, but all these issues experienced have me concerned. Some of the demo's i have heard from the metal packs are astounding, so i want to get to work asap..I really hope this issue can be clarified/identified soon \m/

Thanks for all your help and info mate - let me know if there's any more info i can give to help out with this issue, but for now you're doing a great job with communicating this with me, and i appreciate your help

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-08 18:37:12

And perhaps i haven't really been clear on this. Clicks and pops, yes, but moreso a stuttering effect with clicks and pops.

I don't know if this is a good example, but with my old Delta 44 card, if i set the buffer as low as it got, every 20 seconds or so it would be like the audio samples themselves THAT WERE BEING PLAYED BACK WITHIN THE DAW were being replaced with static/distortion (like a generated distortion signal). This is what i'm experiencing with the UX1 drivers. That's the best way i can describe the streaming issue.Generally now it is just a wall of white noise that replaces the audio signal, ranging from about 2-6 seconds during playback. Stopping playback briefly will stop this and play a normal signal again, then a few seconds later, distortion. It has made monitoring the signal impossible, and i have most likely lost about 40% of my hearing when i started (not anymore!!) monitoring the signal through phones. Not good!

Also, it might not be of importance but my system performance itself (CPU performance with Cubase' monitor) is only around the 15% mark, no spikes in activity, but i am using quite a lot of my RAM (around 60% of my total memory in Cubase). From experience that shouldn't affect this issue, but it might help.

Cheers!

by X-Zone on 2010-10-08 23:28:10

I think I narrowed down the culprit regarding glitchy audio with my TonePort UX2 installed on my Win 7 x64 Home Premium laptop. It's the Line 6 Driver Control Panel that's packeged with the GearBox installer that was released back in March of this year. Everytime I open it, whether through GearBox or in the Windows control panel it causes the rundll32.exe or Shell32.dll to crash, so anything windowed becomes unresponsive, and have to kill the unresponsive windows with task manager. I also tried the new driver released a week ago

But, I found a, solution... I manually deleted the Line6 control panel named Line6DriverControlPanel.cpl. Anyway after deleting it... no more crummy audio. While it certainly wasn't the wisest thing to do, it hasn't caused any system instability, and my TonePort and GearBox still function as normal.

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-11 22:37:36

Okay. I'm actually wondering if i have purchased a faulty unit.

Even my recorded signal, only wet with noise reduction and a very slight compression, distorts in a really funny way in cubase. Monitoring the recorded signal in cubase and i notice all these strange artifacts in the wave file. Almost a phasey, shimmery type effect over the file, so when i send it to re-amp it just sounds terrible..

If i totally bypass pod farm, or all modules in pod farm the sound is the same, so i can't even use this as a DI. For now i have reconnected my old Delta 44 card, and i am back recording as expected.

So. In light of ALL of these issues and faults i have with my unit, and because i bought it second hand, i'm pretty well screwed if it is the unit, isn't that so?

EDIT:

As a bump, i can confirm ASIO4ALL driver version 2.10 (both BETA1 and release versions) with no issues in latency nor signal distortion using the Toneport as the ASIO device.

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-11 22:40:50

that's a cool post too, X-Zone, thanks for that..I'm afraid i had tried this, as orignally i thought it was only the ASIO control panel itself (like my buffer changes did nothing, the extremely high latency settings in cubase) - so i renamed the file to (Line6DriverControlPanel_OLD.cpls) - but all this really did for me was stop changing buffer settings/accessing settings itself in cubase.

Thanks though mate, i appreciate your input \m/

by Kneehow on 2010-10-21 15:12:10

Hi Kim,

One thought occurred to me after reading through this post... to really isolate the possibility of you having a faulty UX1: can you install the latest software on a completely different host computer and observe the audio I/O quality and behavior on that system?

It's easier for us to do this, since we have multiple computers in the support office... so I understand if you don't have another machine to test on. But this would be a concrete way to really isolate the issue and eliminate your computer as the focal point. Should this very same UX1 behave identically on a completely different host computer (ideally with a different but compatible operating system), we can point our fingers at the UX1 itself.

Just a thought,

L6Perry

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-21 16:17:01

Hi Line6Perry,

thanks for your great message mate. I will look into this, i may have the opportunity to test the unit with a different, older machine, an old Dell Opti machine i can get my hands on, but it may take some time. I think this machine has a WinXP OS also, so to my mind this would be a good test platform to confirm.

As soon as i have any results i'll post them here so you guys know the story

by deathvn on 2010-10-31 21:46:18

Wow, I have the same issue - http://line6.com/community/thread/47289?tstart=0- but I didn't know Kim's topic. I'm using XP OS, I've just reinstalled the OS then I will test with ASIO4ALL driver and extra USB port with my Toneport UX1.

Thanks Kim and Line6Miller for the topic!

by KimtheButcher on 2010-10-31 23:17:31

Hi deathvn,

thanks for your post mate, that update helps confirm that this isn't only affecting me.

i'm still having to wait some time to be able to get my hands on an old winxp machine to test this on a different configuration, but deathvn you're config sounds different from mine and it's on a different platform. i'm using Windows 7 with a corei5 750 CPU, you're running winxp with a dualcore intel, not sure which model, but it's not limited to my exact config i'm thinking.

have the guys at line6 been able to replicate this issue as well?

cheers all, peace and brutal technical death metal

by deathvn on 2010-11-01 00:33:57

Hi Kim,

Could you show me your buffer settings in Cubase or another application? I'm trying to find out the better parametters to reduce all click, pop and distortion. I make a test with Adobe Audition, follow reccomended settings of Adobe:

First try a Total Buffer Size setting of 1 second using between 8 and
12 buffers. If that doesn't reduce distortion, try 4 seconds using 12
buffers. Some cards require that the Total Buffer Size be set to 12
seconds using 12 buffers.

but it stills some clicks.

I don't know the real issue is at the driver or at the settings.

by KimtheButcher on 2010-11-01 03:19:45

Hi again mate,

Here are my ASIO4ALL v2.1 settings, have been using the toneport using these settings for roughly a month now with no issues at all.

Make sure you have the ASIO4ALL device selected as the ASIO device in Audition, not a directX or WDM device. You should have the same latency across all apps using these drivers dude..

Then, when you have the ASIO4ALL drivers selected in Audition, you just need to select the toneport like shown in the screenshot. This is my ASIO4ALL control panel in Cubase..i can change the buffer settings on the fly with no problems. FYI - i have been using the toneport with a buffer size of 192 samples with no problems, but bumped it up to 256 samples just in case - my projects can get pretty big!

Cheers brother, let me know how you go

ASIO4ALL Settings_Cubase.PNG

-Kim

by ricksox on 2010-11-08 16:11:16

Hi,

I created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Line6Miller

by loxx222 on 2010-11-08 23:56:36

hello line6miller!

i've received a lot of answer (at least 500 ) from this and another forum though i did not post anything...

could you please put an end to that?

thank you very much...

Lou

by notnuffsleep on 2010-12-10 01:55:09

Hello All,

I've had my toneport ux1 (red face) for many years, and haven't had ANY problems whatsoever until this month...

I've been frequently getting the aforementioned random instances of the wall of white noise...  both in DAW (Cubase 5, Ableton 8) as well as in normal listening (Quicktime, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic)

I've rolled back the drivers to previous versions to no avail.

I have run the DPC checker while the 'wall of white noise' is choking my monitors, and it says "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs."

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 (which has been installed for about a year) with an Intel Core2Duo E6600 and 4GB of Patriot DDR2

The toneport is connected alone to a 5 USB, PCI card

I've also installed the unit in my Dell XPS M1530 laptop... absolutely the same issues...

I am starting to think that my little toneport is on its last legs. please advise.

by KimtheButcher on 2010-12-17 15:08:53

EDITED POST:

This post has been edited by the author. Please see my last update to this post for further details.

My sincere thanks to line6 staff for the information provided, and the assistance - particularly line6tony and line6miller.

Merry christmas all and happy new year!

by Line6Tony on 2010-12-21 17:47:50

I have re-opened the ticket to discuss this issue further with you. It was assigned to me, but I can’t explain why it was not made visible to you after Line6Miller’s last response.

After reviewing the thread and the ticket, I see that we’ve responded to all of your posts within 1-3 days in an effort to understand and diagnose your case. You’ve acknowledged this responsiveness throughout the thread and ticket.

We’re sorry to see that you’ve experienced undesired audio performance from your computer system, even while using the improved driver that has worked on numerous Windows systems, including your Latitude laptop. Our engineers have not been able to reproduce the issue on our systems, although two others in the thread have seen similar symptoms but on different systems.

As you may know, almost every personal computer is a unique hardware and software environment. If one or more variables, including a given device driver, in the system don’t interact well with the rest of the system, the result can be undesired performance. Thus, we have provided a USB Audio Issues FAQ that describes what configuration variables numerous users have identified as the root cause of their audio issues.http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4282

class="MsoNormal">

To help users understand the nature of USB audio issues, we begin the FAQ with the following:

“It should be noted that the complicated interaction of hardware and software on differently configured systems will produce different results, including failure with a small number of computers, regardless of device or manufacturer. The successful use of the USB audio hardware on another computer usually indicates that a problem with the original system needs to be addressed. There is no one-size-fits-all resolution to ensure error-free performance of audio devices on computers, but most USB interrupts can be resolved by one or all of these actions that we have seen help other users…”

We are confident that most audio interface manufacturers will not argue against that statement. Our research of their web site’s support pages has revealed that the suggestions in our FAQ have worked for their users as well.

We strongly suggest that you try all of the suggestions in the FAQ, including BIOS changes and/or a hard drive reformat. There have been new procedures added since we last asked you to review the FAQ. As difficult as those procedures may be, they are among the methods that have proven to help many other users correct their system problems. Until you do so, the possibility of your system’s configuration being the root cause of the issue exists.

by KimtheButcher on 2010-12-22 15:02:35

Hi all at line6 and customers,

I wish to update the status of this issue, and it's support from line6 staff, in particular line6tony's input into this matter.

For all viewing this ticket, i must say that my previous post has been addressed in all ways by line6tony's assistance. My support ticket was reopened and escalated, so my earlier post on this discussion was way out of line. I apologise for my previous post as my support ticket was experiencing issues, and it only appeared to have been closed - line6tony reassigned the support ticket to himself so we could work on this issue further.

To all customers of line6 - please ignore my previous post!

To all customers who are experiencing this issue with toneport models - i feel comfortable this issue will be addressed in future driver updates!

My sincere apologies to all staff at line6 for my previous post!

Have a merry christmas all, and my sincere best wishes \m/

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.