These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Using HD500 for reamping...is it possible?
by RhelmTrent on 2011-09-10 10:50:32

I recently viewed a video that displayed how you could record a guitar track to a DAW and hear the processed signal but the DAW would only record the dry track which could be processed by another amp sim plugin...etc

I would really like to be able to do this with the HD500 but maybe a little differently:

I would like to setup a cool HD500 patch and have that sound record directly to channel 1 in my DAW and also have track 2 setup to receive the dry track at the same time.

The only way I could perceive to do this would be to plug the guitar into a reamp box and send one input to the HD500 and take the SPDIF signal output and plug it to the SPDIF digital input on a separate A/D device that would be connected to the computer and take the output from the reamp box and plug into the A/D device. This appears to be a way to do it but the bummer is that I don't have the money for a reamp box or a new A/D device.

Any thoughts guys?

BTW: my end-goal is to have a stereo track of HD500 on track 1 and a dry signal on track 2 so that I can use my amp sims and IRs.

Re: Using HD500 for reamping...is it possible?
by silverhead on 2011-09-10 11:01:04

You can use only the HD500 to do this with two important restrictions: the wet track you want to record from the HD500 must use only one amp, and it must be a mono output - no dual amps, no stereo.

With those restrictions you can make use of the HD500 dual path feature to send both wet and dry signals seperately, in mono, to your PC over the usb connection. To do this, split your paths immediately in the HD500 signal chain for the patch/preset. Put your amp and all FX in one path. Put nothing in the other path (the dry signal). In the mixer, pan your two paths full L and full R. When you arm the tracks for recording in your DAW, select the L channel for one track and the R channel for the other.

by relayerjb on 2011-09-10 11:34:20

If your DAW will let you run a line out back to the HD, you could also put the HD's FX Loop as the first effect in your signal chain.  Run the output of the Loop to your DAW and record the dry signal.  Run the return line from the DAW to the input of the FX Loop.  The signal then goes thru your HD500 and you can process it however you want, including using two amps, stereo, whatever.  Then run the regular outputs from the HD back into another channel on your DAW.  (Make sure that only the dry signal from the FX Loop is sent back from the DAW to the HD, not the processed signal) ...

by RhelmTrent on 2011-09-10 17:19:48

Hey Silverhead,

Very helpful answer! Bummed about losing my stereo stuff but this will do for the short term.

Any thoughts on this issue: when I set my system up like you suggested I am hearing a very loud dry signal on the right and it makes playing with the track difficult. This is not a problem when I am playing through speakers because I turn the right channel to zero but with headphones it is annoying as I cannot do anything about the volume and if I mute the track it will not record the dry signal.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

by silverhead on 2011-09-10 18:46:28

You can use the HD500 mixer to increase/decrease the signal level in paths A and B to balance them in your headphones. And then you can use your DAW to boost/dampen the signal levels to produce a good recording level. Be aware that the record level of the dry signal can be very low - your post-processing with a plugin (such as Pod Farm) will increase that level.

by rodneyzimmerman on 2011-12-29 14:08:28

Back when I had the X3 it would send multiple tracks simulaneously, but I didn't own recording software at that time. Now I own a MAC and recording software, and an HD500, which does not easily send wet and dry via USB.  Frustrating.

by bjnette on 2012-12-09 07:13:29

Or you can set the s/pdif out to dry and record a dry track via s/pdif in on your soundcard or interface.

The question is, can you come out of your DAW into the 500 and use the unit to reamp the dry recorded tracks?

by bjnette on 2012-12-09 20:56:17

I know this is an old thread but I too have some questions.

I know Frasctal's AxeII can be used to reamp a DAW dry track.

I like lots of tone and some FX when tracking so am outputting the s/pdif outs dry into Sonar X2.but monitoring the analogue processed outs on my HD 500

Reamping into the HD

On the HDs can the input impedence adjustment page match impedience  to accept a line level.? I am about to try this out tonight.

Is anyone reamping with a reverse DI into the HDs.

Lastly, while using the dual chanells in the POD is one way, I beeieve that with my MOTU2408mkIII I can select the dry to it's own output to the HD and use the any output from the HD back in to the Motu into the DAW where only the reamped tone is monitored. Some slight time line adjustment may also be needed.

Anone using  it to reamp to?

I suspect that a reverse DI might still be required.

Tonight will soon tell

by unperfectcircle on 2012-12-22 05:56:35

+1

I'm interested in this issue too.

I tried to reamp a dry signal coming from my DAW into the HD500, but it seems like the signal is always a bit noisier than the one I get coming directly from my guitar (with the same POD settings, of course).

I used both guitar and aux ins, Variax on Input 2, but I was only able to tame that "background" noise.

Could it be an impedance matching problem?

Have anyone had positive results reamping a dry signal from DAW into the POD HD500?

by BlueViolince on 2012-12-23 20:42:30

I've done that in Pro Tools 10.  I track dry, with a bit of verb on the monitors.  Then, I set up a hardware send, switch the POD to Line output, and track the outputs to a stereo track.  You could technically do this with a dry track recorded through the POD only, but that would involve using your computer's 1/8" output to get back into the POD, which I have never tried to do.  Depends on the quality of your sound card.  If you had to, you could use a noise gate/duck on the processed signal.  I would recommend turning off any delay or reverb on the POD in favor of software plugins placed after the gate.  That would reduce some of the noise without cutting off your repeats and decay. 

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.