These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

So I got a Rocktron Velocity 300
by RipperShred on 2013-01-28 21:51:36

And I have to say it's not bad. It's better than a Velocity 100 by leaps and bounds, but still below a real bonifide tube power amp. First off, like just about everything amp-related that rocktron makes, it's got a marshall flavor to it; it's got that uppermid-thoatyness to it that you'd get out of an EL34 based power amp. The reactance knob does add warmth the higher you turn it up, but it also loosens up the response the higher up you go, and on ten/max I found it way too flubby for the hard rock/ metal I like to play. I found between 2 and 3 O'clock is as high as I can set it before it goes to mush on me. The deffinition is a prescence control, and I find it gets to be on the fizzy side past the 2 O'clock range.

I also found that if you turn the reactance control to 5 (12 O'clock) or less, I could use full amp models minus the cabs (since I'm running it into real cabinets) and get the difference feels/response from each of the amp models and liked what I was hearing. Happy with just the preamp models through it as well.

Turning it up and really pushing the speakers in the cabs it sounds like a decent low-end tube amp, and that's probably in part to pushing the speakers and getting some speaker distortion and the high volume probably confuses ears a bit as well.

In conclusion, I don't think it stands up to my 2:Ninety SimulClass or 2:100, but I'm deffinitely able to get some good tones with it. Considering it's about 1/4 the price of a 2:Ninety, I'd consider it a winner in my book, and a keeper. Great for practicing without cooking all those tubes in my real poweramps, so I can save them for live shows.

Re: So I got a Rocktron Velocity 300
by RipperShred on 2013-01-29 13:47:38

I also forgot to mention that it is insanely loud, and that the front end of it can be pushed really hard without distortion. And that it uses about a tenth the power that either the 2:Ninety or 2:100 uses.

by radatats on 2013-02-14 16:18:40

I sold my Velocity 100 but I will NEVER sell my Velocity 300.  I am using it for studio monitor power now with Infinity speakers and it is sweet...  DT-25 with HD-500 into my own 2x12 cabs...

by RipperShred on 2013-02-17 12:02:14

It's good for what it is, no doubt.

by mjpwall on 2013-02-21 01:43:21

Would you use it to gig? Does it have enough power.  Also are you running it in stereo or bridged in mono? What kind of cab are you using?  I'm thinking of going this way too.

by RipperShred on 2013-02-21 19:16:38

Considering I have real tube amps, I would keep it handy as a backup, but if it's all I had it would make due and be perfectly acceptable as a giging poweramp. As previously mentioned it is really loud, and I have tried it both stereo and mono into 4x12 cabs and fares well in both.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.