Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L6 Link & DT50 / PODHD500X

TBone55

I would like someone to confirm my understanding of the connection between the PODHD & DT50 using the L6 Link. When you select a preset from the PODHD, is the preset saved under one of the 4 topologies under either Channel A or B, automatically, or do you have to save the preset to the DT50 the same way you save it to your PODHD by clicking on the "Select" button? My PODHD presets don't seem to want to transfer over to my DT50. I've checked the topologies using DT Edit and my PreSonus Studio One midi interface and only the "stock" presets appear to be there. I will add, I can change the amp presets using the DT Editor, but the presets in my HD don't seem to want to transfer over.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!

Thanks.

Thanks kindly for the info. That's kind of what I thought. So when you're using the L6 Link and click on a preset that's in the HD it should automatically be transferred to the DT50 and all preamp and tone settings get adjusted internally through the software and the power amp section of the DT gets utilized. Once you shut the amp or the POD down the 'voicing' or 'topology goes back to what was. Now, if you want to check that the preset you've selected is actually in the DT (when everything is powered up) you can check by using DT Edit to confirm. If you want to change the topology settings in the DT so that your new 'preset' is saved you need to use DT Edit to do so. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Thanks & Cheers!

Nothing "preset" is transferred from the POD HD500 to the DT amp. What's already present in the DT is what gets used, preamp audio (in digital form) coming from the POD, power amp settings from the POD, but power section audio (analog) from the DT.

Okay egkor. So you're saying that the pre-sets that I have set up in my HD using the pre versions of the amps don't get transferred to the DT. I'm a bit confused about that. I thought the reason that you linked the DT and HD together was so that you could get the other amps that weren't originally available in the DT alone. With the new firmware update, all 30 of the amp models now reside in the DT 50 as well as the HD. I can understand if you're saying that the pre-sets from the HD won't get saved to the DT, but, doesn't the HD send a signal to the DT to tell it what pre-set is required and then the DT configures the pre-amp to match? In other words, if you have the Blackface Lux as your current pre-set in the HD, this information is transmitted to the DT, and, if the DT is in a different setting, say a JCM800, the DT will reconfigure the pre-amp to match the HD, and, the power section of the DT will be configured to match the Blackface Lux. Once you disconnect the HD from the DT, the DT defaults back to its original setting, in this case, the JCM800. The only way to change the topologies in the DT is to use a DT Editor. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

A side note to this: the DT has four of the HD amp models loaded onto it "as it". HOWEVER, with the most recent firmware update, you can adjust the 'onboard' amp models for use with the DT in 'stand alone' mode.

The DT does NOT save any FX information - it has none of the FX that the HD has, so in that sense, no preset data is ever stored in the DT.

Here is some info regarding the four default amp models loaded in the DT amps:

• Four unique Voicings (negative feedback loop topologies paired with HD preamp and tone stack modeling):
    • Classic American Clean/Tight NFL
    • British Crunch/Medium NFL
    • Class A Chime/Zero NFL
    • Modern, High-Gain/Resonant NFL

Here is the link discussing the options that came with the most recent firmware update:

http://line6.com/dtv2update/

Free v2.0 Firmware Update

Available as a free download, v2.0 firmware takes your DT amp from four voicings to total flexibility. Create never-before-heard amp tones by pairing any of 30 HD preamps with any combination of dynamic topologies within Reinhold Bogner’s reconfigurable tube power amp.

The dynamic topologies include four negative feedback loop options (tight, loose, zero and resonant), operating class (A/AB), power tube configuration (pentode/triode), 12AX7* (normal/boost), B+ voltage* (phase inverter high/low) and feedback capacitor* (cap X/Y).

You can also configure each voicing with your choice of 12 reverbs, complete with per-channel spillover—and more.

*DT50 only.

I thought the reason that you linked the DT and HD together was so that you could get the other amps that weren't originally available in the DT alone.

Yes, that statement is correct. Using the 'pre' versions of the amp models in the HD500, while linked to the DT25 does this:

the HD500 processes the pre FX, the preamp of the amp model, and the post effects. Based on the L6Link setting, the information sent to the DT then tells the DT what to do. In this case, whatever the amp model in amp A in the HD500 determines the power amp settings in the DT / Bogner. These settings can be adjusted on a per patch basis, and you can pair any of the preamp models with any of the Bogner DT power amp configurations, when using the HD500 linked. 

I don't know specifically what editing options there are, in terms of how you reprogram the typologies and NFL settings.

Hi Tbone,  I think you are misunderstanding how the L6Link works with the POD unit.

Bascially the POD takes the incoming guitar signal.  Processes with the selected pre-amps and effects. To this point the POD is working pretty much like it does working any system. Then it sends the signal, along with switching instructions for the topology, class, etc... over to the DT. It does not use the DT built in PreAmps then. It doesn't send the PreAmp over but the processed signal.  The reason you want the L6Link is because it will send the DT the instructions to switch to the correct Class etc.. when you change the amp model on the POD.  The nice thing is it also establishing communication between the POD and DT on knob settings. So if you move the say "Bass" knob on the DT and then go over and hit save on the POD, the POD will have whatever you just set the "Bass " knob to. (Except for Reverb which is independant)

• Upvote 1

Thanks Palico for that explanation. It has cleared up some of the ambiguity I felt was occurring about how the signal is processed. The DT, in stand alone mode then has all the same pre-amp modelling information as the POD, and you manipulate it by using a DT software editor on your PC, with a MIDI hardware interface connected between the PC and the DT. This allows you to set what pre-amp model is in either channel A or B under each of the four topologies. In total, you can therefore have 8 different "Voicings" pre-loaded in the DT. This is how you would use the DT if you don't have a POD. Now I need to work on getting my DT to sound like the full modelling tones I have stored in my POD. It seems this is where everyone is getting hung up.

Ciao!

Thanks Palico for that explanation. It has cleared up some of the ambiguity I felt was occurring about how the signal is processed. The DT, in stand alone mode then has all the same pre-amp modelling information as the POD, and you manipulate it by using a DT software editor on your PC, with a MIDI hardware interface connected between the PC and the DT. This allows you to set what pre-amp model is in either channel A or B under each of the four topologies. In total, you can therefore have 8 different "Voicings" pre-loaded in the DT. This is how you would use the DT if you don't have a POD. Now I need to work on getting my DT to sound like the full modelling tones I have stored in my POD. It seems this is where everyone is getting hung up.

Ciao!

Yep you got it. Quick question for you thought. If you have the POD with DT over L6Link, why bother with all the trouble with reseting the DT to anything other than the default?

A curious mind I guess. I would like to know how the DT works in stand alone mode in case there's ever a need to use it that way. I'm concentrating on using it with my POD however. I've started to get some good tone matches between the full amp models in the HD and the pre-amp versions combined with the DT. So far I've come to realize that you need to use the cab simulation & mic if you want to get close to getting the same tones. I also keep the Master Volume on the POD set to MAX.

• 3 months later...

can anyone tell me the exact factory preset settings in the DT50. When you connect a HD 500 it take over as the driver for the amp.

What amp and cab settings do you use to get the same factory preset voicing settings on DT50;

• classic American clean
  • British crunch
  • Class A chime
  • modern hi gain