Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

roll back firmware problem

Hi, i want to roll back fimware from v2.0 hd to 1.7 on my jtv 69 because i hate the new acoustic sounds, but when i backdate firmware with line 6 monkey to 1.71 and then open variax workbench there are no sounds loaded, only question marks where the names of the guitars should be. I then decided to go back to version 2.0 and open workbench hd to find the same problem, question marks , i also plugged guitar in to hear were the sounds installed but they were not , i now had a guitar with no modelling sounds, after a lot of to and fro v 2.0 hd did load up but i am back where i started.Any ideas anyone whats going wrong, its nothing obvious , i have green lights on the usb interface box no internet dropout etc. ???. Thanks .

If You are back to where you started  - that means your guitar is now not a problem, correct?

...after a lot of to and fro v 2.0 hd did load up but i am back where i started..

Well, the problem is that v 2.0 doesn't work with the old WB nor does any other previous version of firmware work with WB HD. Any version of firmware before Variax HD v2.0 only works with the old WB (which by the way, requires that you install v6? of Java that is available with the download if you don't have the old version on your computer still or ever).

hey joe, i know v2.0 doesnt work with the old work bench and vice versa, i have both workbench installed and both working. when i update or backdate the firmware the sounds should appear in the relavant workbench but they dont, except the last fluke when it did, and i ended back with v 2.0 , but its v 1.7 i want installed, but i am afraid to attempt it again in case i end up with no sounds.

...but i am afraid to attempt it again in case i end up with no sounds.

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence with my post, just tried to tell you the obvious in case you were a total novice with the vax which now I know you are not. I understand your hesitance to try the roll back again. It appears that the update/rollback process is TOO weird with the JTV,  the updates require multiple attempts to get the update to take  for many owners based on the numerous posts I've read here involving repeated attempts to get the software to change no matter how "perfect" the USB connection and system are. I thought my reply might offer help but seems it's the JTV's screwy ability to accept the firmware might be the problem  - I remember before Line6 fixed the strat p2 and p4 problem many were recommending repeated updates to fix quite a few problems or just to be sure the update was successful.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself can assist you.

Hey joe thanks for the reply, yes i have had variaxs from day one , but its good to know that sometimes the updates dont always work, i had nt read that, its a computer at the end of the day.I will chance it again and let you know how i get on . thanks

Hey kevin11007  not to fear man,

make sure you rollback to firmware 1.71 and not 1.7 and the latest version workbench version for that firmware is 1.75. if you have other versions it won't work properly. Just try reflating again it shouldn't be a problem with these two. I got my variax just a 6 months ago with the new 2.0 hd already installed when I rolled back to 1.71 I was instantly in love with the acoustic. Also I tweaked a few jazz sounds and pretty dam authentic strat sounds. Later one if you wish to check it out I can email you my workbench bungle.

Cheers 

Hey kevin11007  not to fear man,

make sure you rollback to firmware 1.71 and not 1.7 and the latest version workbench version for that firmware is 1.75. if you have other versions it won't work properly. Just try reflating again it shouldn't be a problem with these two. I got my variax just a 6 months ago with the new 2.0 hd already installed when I rolled back to 1.71 I was instantly in love with the acoustic. Also I tweaked a few jazz sounds and pretty dam authentic strat sounds. Later one if you wish to check it out I can email you my workbench bungle.

Cheers 

@zedopido I'm not thrilled with 2.1 would like to try your patches on my 69s

Hi kevin11007

Attached is my bundle for workbench 1.75 (firmware 1.71)  these are the sounds I use and they work great for my purposes.

I'm definitely not going back to HD. The only thing missing IMO on this workbench is the option to blend mags ( I have Dimarzio's area 58,67,61) and the option of clean piezo. That is not even available on HD anyway.. I got a friend who is a computer nerd and he said he wants to give it a go next week and perhaps reverse some codes in order to get the raw piezo sound through . I have my fingers crossed.

As I have the Dimarzios on I didin't really care about the spank bank.

The original spank sounds nothing like the dimarzios, which is great as it gives me more options.

However the other day I was wishing I could get a similar tone I get on neck position with my area 58 through the simulation as I like tuning the E- A string an octave down and wanted something to sound like my mags. 

It took me a while but I finally found something that is  close, check out the bank Special position 4 - 5 . The names are pretty self explanatory , the teles have the tone knob bite trick ( not existent on HD)

Ok just remember to save whatever patches you already so you don't mess up what already works for you.

If one or two of  these sounds suits you, save it individually on your computer. You can add it to your already saved sounds when you start workbench again.

Cheers

Zedopeido_Variax_96s_bundle.zip

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Zedopaido,

Just a quick note to say thank you for all the information and files you have posted to revert back to the JTV 1.71 firmware.

I have recently bought a new JTV-69 to be used primarily in a 60's cover band. I was particularly impressed with the acoustic 12 string sounds.

Being very naïve, I updated everything using the monkey, that was a BIG mistake!! I remember the guitars firmware was either 1.70 or 1.71 prior to updating. The updated acoustic tones are awful and thought there was no way to roll back the firmware until I read your notes on this forum.

I'm about to revert back to 1.71 once the battery has fully charged.

Thanks once again.

M.