Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x is a routing Monster! :-)

sinistralx

So i have just finished testing a new setup and have to say I am so delighted i thought i had to share.....

I was asked to put together a little one man gig for an event coming up and given a list of songs people would like to hear going from irish traditional to contemporary pop. I wanted it to be more interesting than a guy in the corner strumming on a guitar. I wanted to loop guitar parts and vocals on the fly, use some kind of a foot stomper for beats as well as trigger various samples and beats at different stages in the song as well as have in-ear monitoring.   Managed to do all this with the hd500 as the central hub....... in in doing so realised I am a line 6 lollipop  :-)   anyway my setup is as follows

firstly gear - 2 mic's, JTV-69, SonicportVX, hd500, TC Helicon Voicelive Play, L3t, iPad, IK Multimedia Blueboard, Relay G30

1st Mic runs through the Voicelive Play into the HD500 - Mic In   

I used the second mic to build a foot stomper with an old cigar box and some padding, both of the mics went into the hd500 MicIn using a Y cable

Ipad connects to SonicportVX which in turn goes to the FX return of the hd500 (mix set to 50% and it sits at the end of the chain so the signal unaffected. It also gives me greater control over the volume. I found the MP3 input signal to be too weak and actually doesn't sound great)  using the FX return block also allows me to turn it off when not in use

Variax connects via VDI  or a G30  depending

I run an app call Setlist Maker which allows you to attach audio to each song in your setlist (as well as lyrics etc) all triggered with the Blueboard.  you can have multiple audio files per song if you want. so for one or two songs i have created to drums and bass to kick in at various stages just to make it all interesting

the L6 Link to the L3t

seemples! 

the beauty of this setup is because the entire signal chain runs through the HD500  i can use the headphone outs for IEM's

anyways thought I would share a use case of the pod being used to its full IO capacity!

• Upvote 2

Very interesting setup and application. Any sound clips available?

If you have a Mac, you can use the HD500 as an audio/MIDI interface into MainStage and do all the backing tracks an looping (longer loops) directly in MainStage. Mics can go into the HD500 still, or using separate audio interface an an aggregate device to support the two mics in their own MainStage tracks. You could then create a UI and MIDI controls that are tailored for exactly what you're trying to do. The BlueBoard and HD500 could both be used for MIDI control, especially using the HD500 Looper switch as a "mode" switch which gives you 7 more MIDI switches that can control MainStage (you'll have to turn the HD500 looper volume all the way down though).

And if you have an iPad Logic Remote works with MainStage giving you remote, touch, wireless access to MainStage.

So i have just finished testing a new setup and have to say I am so delighted i thought i had to share.....

1st Mic runs through the Voicelive Play into the HD500 - Mic In

I used the second mic to build a foot stomper with an old cigar box and some padding, both of the mics went into the hd500 MicIn using a Y cable

the L6 Link to the L3t

You could use the 2-channel mixer on the side panel of the L3t for your two mics if you wish.

Very nice indeed.  This might be a silly question regarding using the headphone out as IEM, but I always thought using headphones would mute the other output.  Is this not the case?  In other words, could I route a lead singer's voice through the HD500 and then use phones as IEM for my guitar and her voice?  Would be much better than a wedge monitor.

Very interesting setup and application. Any sound clips available?

If you have a Mac, you can use the HD500 as an audio/MIDI interface into MainStage and do all the backing tracks an looping (longer loops) directly in MainStage. Mics can go into the HD500 still, or using separate audio interface an an aggregate device to support the two mics in their own MainStage tracks. You could then create a UI and MIDI controls that are tailored for exactly what you're trying to do. The BlueBoard and HD500 could both be used for MIDI control, especially using the HD500 Looper switch as a "mode" switch which gives you 7 more MIDI switches that can control MainStage (you'll have to turn the HD500 looper volume all the way down though).

And if you have an iPad Logic Remote works with MainStage giving you remote, touch, wireless access to MainStage.

Hopefully I can get someone at the gig to take some video.

We use mainstage with the band but it's a bit overkill for a solo gig. I want to avoid having a MacBook on stage as well. I have to say the iPad and Setlist Maker have worked flawlessly in my tests so far. Hit a blueboard switch brings in the sample immediately.

Very nice indeed.  This might be a silly question regarding using the headphone out as IEM, but I always thought using headphones would mute the other output.  Is this not the case?  In other words, could I route a lead singer's voice through the HD500 and then use phones as IEM for my guitar and her voice?  Would be much better than a wedge monitor.

You could if you ran the her vocals in left path and your guitar in the right. You would only send the right (your guitar) to the desk or amp. The headphone mix would be Vox Left and Guitar Right. If you are happy with that then you are good to go. If (like me) you can't deal with the hard left and right pans in your IEM you get a stereo to mono converter or stereo summing gadget.