Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - Presets within a Patch - Is this possible in a future firmware update?

Monsta-Tone

I've been programming and playing an HD500X for a few weeks now.

I really like how versatile it is!

I'm using it with a Rivera K-Tre reverb combo in 4CM.

I have noticed a little bit of tone suck, which is probably easily fixed by adding a buffer or EQ at the beginning of my FX chain.

I do not use the amp models yet, although I was just reading about some of the new ones coming out and they have my interest.

Here is my setup:

Guitar --> HD IN

HD Send --> Amp IN

Amp Send --> HD Return Left

HD Output Left --> Amp Return

Here is my FX chain:

Wah --> Colorful

Chorus --> Tri Chorus

Screamer

Tube Drive

FX Loop

Noise Gate

EQ

Dynamic Delay

Analog Delay w/mod

In an effort to combat the dropout of sound and delay trails when changing Patches, I am trying to use Presets within a Patch.

For instance:

Button 1 = Clean amp channel, Chorus ON, Dynamic Delay ON

Button 2 = Clean amp channel, Chorus OFF, Phaser ON, Dynamic Delay ON

Button 3 = Dirty amp channel, all FX OFF

Button 4 = Dirty amp channel, Analog Delay ON, EQ ON

I know this is not entirely possible yet, but I am hoping there is a work around or a firmware update that might address this if it is possible.

I currently am using the buttons like this, but it would be much easier to be able to just press one button:

Button 1 - Clean channel CC, Chorus ON, Dynamic Delay ON

Button 2 - Screamer

Button 3 - Tube Drive

Button 4 - Dirty channel CC, Analog Delay ON

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.  I posted this on The Gear Page, but I thought I might go directly to the source and post it here as well.

Scenes would be great each of which contains a snapshot of settings, so Patch defines what bits of kit are plugged together and in what order and Scene defines what their settings are (including on/off obviously) - the best you can do if you want to retain delay trails is to use the buttons as you already are, or dedicate Expression Controllers to morphing between states.

As Digital Igloo points out on the second link below, if you have a JTV then you have 4 expression controllers each of which can change things like Chorus Mix from 0 to say 50%. Unfortunately not everything can be bypassed e.g. Auto Volume Echo has to be switched off to stop the Auto Volume effect which is a switch.

No idea why it isn't more popular - Vote for it here: 

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HD500X-Scenes-per-song/638774-23508

And here

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/POD-HD-Scenes-per-patch-Control-from-pedals/687542-23508

Thanks for the links!  I'm waiting for authorization to look at them.

I honestly think that if we could have Scenes within a Patch, with delay trails, then this would be the ultimate floorboard processor!

Nothing else even comes close to it's functionality for the price.  The G-System is too big and takes too much time to dial it in.  Plus, it doesn't have the built in EXP pedal.

I don't think we need new terminology like Scenes within a Patch. I think all that's required is to implement delay trails during preset changes. Once that's done the current architecture and terminology is fine. You'll still have 8 setlists of 16 Banks (Patches) and 4 Presets (Scenes). In fact the current architecture and terminology will remain more flexible since you won't be constrained to the Patch's physical configuration among the Scenes. You'll still be able to change everything in a new Preset (Scene) within the Bank (Patch).

So vote for the ideascale item that suggests delay trails carry-over during preset changes.

I think that would be perfect as well.

I was just trying to think of a work around for the drop in sound when changing Presets.

Some of the songs my band plays have 5 or 6 dramatic changes in sound.  I'm the only guitar player, so it's very noticeable if my sound disappears for a second.

I'll definitely vote for Delay Spillovers!

Do you think that the drop in sound can be overcome with the current hardware?

I could see it being useful for orginaizational purposes if nothing else. Having a "effects scene" that is doesn't affect the amp settings could come in useful. Then I could have 1 patch that is decided amp setup but be able to pull in and out the effects I wanted with the settings without my amp having to change.  Right now I use a Dream Rig setup and one of the annoyances is I have 4 different patches for what is basically one rig with different effects settings. And I need to change a setting on the amp, more bass etc... then I got to do it on all 4 patches and make sure I get it set at least close to the same on each.

I could see it being useful for orginaizational purposes if nothing else. Having a "effects scene" that is doesn't affect the amp settings could come in useful. Then I could have 1 patch that is decided amp setup but be able to pull in and out the effects I wanted with the settings without my amp having to change.

That's kind of what I'm trying to do as well, at least with 2 scenes.

Another thing that would be really cool is to be able to run my amp in parallel with an amp sim.  For instance, if I wanted to use an Uber or SLO sim and have my K-Tre (instead of another amp sim) on at the same time in parallel.

Just the fact that we all have so many different ways of using the HD is a great testament to it's versatility!  There must be thousands of ways to configure it.  That alone sets the HD far above the TC gear.

Hopefully this is something that can be implemented with no hardware updates, so we wouldn't have to buy the newest version when it comes out.

Well, if you think about it.... 

In each Setlist, there are 16 scenes available, each with 4 possible settings (A,B,C,D), each capable of having certain fx turned on and off within their prospective location.  

PROBLEM SOLVED?

Yes.....except.......

There is a glitch between preset changes, drop in output for a second, and no delay spillovers.

This is completely unusable in my situation.  If I go from a clean patch with mild delay to an overdriven patch with no delay, the change is incredibly abrupt.  I am trying to find a work around for this issue.

Well, if you think about it.... 

In each Setlist, there are 16 scenes available, each with 4 possible settings (A,B,C,D), each capable of having certain fx turned on and off within their prospective location.  

PROBLEM SOLVED?

Which is the concept I work with today.  However I'm using a Dream Rig. So if I want to adjust a EQ etc... on my DT the L6 link will take care of changing that on the patch that is until I change from say A to B.  So If I want those I have to save it and make the exact same adjustment on A, B, C, D becuase A, B, C and D are not differnet "effect" scenes but completey differnet patches.  Some times that is very useful but other times not as much.  It does work and it's not deal killer or anything but it would be a nice to have thing.