Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WTF did I just do???

csrMark

I have owned a POD XT LIVE for about 6 years so I thought it was time to upgrade.... I bought a HD500X from a buddy.

This thing is not that user friendly

I have no idea what the hell I did but 

EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY... says "New Tone" ... It seems I somehow wiped out ALL the previous tones in every single category?

My buddy had some nice tones saved they seem to be gone...

all the patches in HEAVY HD...etc.. all say "new Tone"

geeeezzzzzz

Any idea what I did? and how do i get these back?

Well, yeah, what did you do? 

Upgrading firmware wouldn't do a 'new tone'. You'd either have the factory defaults, or you'd have the same patches. 

And the pod doesn't even have an erase function, so its not like you could have accidentally hit a button to do it. 

So, depending on what you did... because you haven't said squat... you could hit the receive button and have them sent back. 

But, again, that depends on what you did, and what you did since then. 

So explain. 

I have owned a POD XT LIVE for about 6 years so I thought it was time to upgrade.... I bought a HD500X from a buddy.

This thing is not that user friendly

I have no idea what the hell I did but 

EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY... says "New Tone" ... It seems I somehow wiped out ALL the previous tones in every single category?

My buddy had some nice tones saved they seem to be gone...

all the patches in HEAVY HD...etc.. all say "new Tone"

geeeezzzzzz

Any idea what I did? and how do i get these back?

Is this in the Edit software you see "New Tone"?? I don't think there is any way to totally wipe out all your saved patches unles you do a factory reset, OR if you updated the firmware and did not select "Keep my existing patches" when you were promted by the pop up window. If you see this "New Tone" in the Edit software, don't worry. unplug it from the computer and you'll see you still have all your patches.

Okay, I tried to think about what I did.

I opened the POD HD500X EDIT and had the 500x hooked up.

It seems I hit the word "all" in the little box located in the top left corner of the editor under the word "SEND.  The little box that has "SEND" then a picture of the 500x then the column that says "receive" ... not sure what that little box does but it appears that everything disappeared after pushing that "all" button

It seems to be the "input" setup but I have no idea what the setting were there at the time

Fastest way to get the patches back is to re-flash the current FW -- you have that option from the Monkey interface..... In the process, opt to not keep your current patches. It'll re-populate the set lists with the default patches. Cycle the unit, do a global reset, recalibrate the expression pedal -- back in business....

Oh, and when you hook up to HD Edit program, don't send all to the pedal without any patches. Allow it time to read the existing patches from the HD to the pc.... The before anything else, save the bundle, favorite patches, and your existing set lists. It's saved me numerous times when I've made my own bone-headed slip ups...

You just learned a hard lesson in why you need to back up your patches, set lists, and generally the whole bundle.... Hopefully your buddy knew this, too...The only way you're going to get your buddy's' patches back will be to see if he 1) backed them up to his pc, 2) still has them on his pc, and 3) if so, will copy and get them to you. Other than that -- they're gone...

"If it hurts when you do that.... don't do that"

Good luck.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Those are the 'sync' buttons. 

I don't know how you inserted 512 new tone patches. But, when you make an edit with EDIT, it isn't permanent until you send it. This means that you can also undo an edit by clicking receive. 

Ultimately, the answer you don't want to hear but are probably prepared for:

Your patches are lost. 

The best you can do is start from scratch - which was described above. Use Monkey to install the newest (or reinstall the current) firmware and when asked, do not keep your patches. 

I don't know if a global reset if needed for what you are trying to accomplish, but since we don't know what your friend did before you bought it, do a Global Reset too. And then, your exp pedal will need recalibrated. 

HOW 2 LOAD 512 EMPTY PATCHES ON POD'S MEMORY @ ONCE:

1. open edit off line.
2. u have 512 empty "new tones"
3. connect pod
4. u rcv the msg "pod has been connected. download presets from pod (y/n)?"
5. answer no (the 512 "new tones" remain on edit ram BUT STILL NOT ON POD)
6. press send all

voila!
u just wrote 512 "new tones" on ur pod's memory :)

That's what I was thinking too. But you would think that someone would have known/remembered/said that a box popped up, or that EDIT had all 'New Tone' listed before I hooked up my Pod. 

Maybe I am wrong in thinking like that. Maybe because he is new he doesn't understand that those tidbits would be helpful to know. 

Either way, at this point, his patches are gone forever.  

I think jandrio nailed the likely sequence of events that csrMark did to wipe out his existing set lists & patches. It points out some good points to remember -- fire up and hookup your HD BEFORE firing up the HD Edit program -- that way it just loads the Pod HD's patches - no muss, no fuss.... I have never used the HD Edit software offline - never saw the point of editing something without being able to hear the changes' effect on the sound.... I guess it would somewhat useful if you load your backed-up set lists and/or patches to re-arrange new set lists to save for later loading...

Dave

• Upvote 1

I guess it would somewhat useful if you load your backed-up set lists and/or patches to re-arrange new set lists to save for later loading...

Yes, I do that all the time. 

In fact, if I couldn't do that, I would seriously have to consider a different unit. --- but that is based on my own personal usage/needs, not something that everyone would need to deal with. 

Offline also helps when --- for example, you download a patch from another device and it requires too much dsp for your unit. You can't open the file when online, but in offline mode you can open it and then delete an unneeded slot. Which, for me, is usually the volume pedal or fx loop.