Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anybody run the pod with torpedo cab?

arislaf

A while back I screwed around with IRs in the DAW with the HD500. The results I got weren't worth the extra complexity in the setup, so just dumped the idea. The pod's cabs were more than good enough for my wants.

On top of the negligible results, the number of options open to you with something like this can quickly become overwhelming. So unless you know when to stop, or if you're not one to leave things untried -- like hundreds or thousands of IRs, it's best to not even start. Then again, maybe something like this might work for you. Try it out in the DAW. The plugin I used, I think, was Torpedeo Wall of Sound.

Thanks guys! The main thing is, I want to stuck up with a unit, and pod has the amps - effect I need, but I find the cabs weak. So the deal is to give a 500 for the torpedo or sell my pods, save the 500 and get an axe fx? If the cabs will really improve my sound I don't need the flexibility and processor of axe (as well I will not buy the floor board it is way expensive). So what to do? What I hear one the first video is awesome, i hear the tone I want. On video 2 I hear that the cabs are far deviated from the original...

From the other side, if I get it I will just get 2-4 cabins with the 1 speaker and forget about IR that aren't onboard. 

Thanks both of you guys. :) 

I still don't know what to do... :(

I run the POD HD with the CAB. through the POD's FX loop. I prefer the CAB's simulation over the POD's. I only play live. Haven't played in the studio with this setup. I don't use 3rd party I.R's. I Bought the CAB 2nd hand and it came preloaded with a ton of 3rd party I.R'S, but none as good as the Torpedo I.R's. They have software called BlendIR where you can capture I.R's from your own cab, or blend different I.R's to create some specific to your needs. Some people on their forums have apparently done this to great effect, but again, I haven't had the need to do so. 

The bonus of this pedal is the power amp sim section (I run the POD in Stack mode where I can cut some low end. But I don't always use the pre models of the POD. The normal amps with the POD's power amp sim can actually play nice withe the CAB'S power amp sim section in my humble opinion) 

Also the E.Q section on the CAB is very handy in cutting unwanted frequencies from the POD and thus leaving some FX blocks open.

Two Notes is hopefully launching a new interface sometime this month for the CAB that can be seen as a user friendly way of using the pedal. They call it "arcade mode". Not that the current interface is difficult. 

The creator of Torpedo, Guillaume, is also very involved in Two Notes forums and they really adjust their products according from forum feedback. For me it's worth it.

I'm also interested to hear how other POD users approach this setup. 

• Upvote 1

You might also want to consider a Logidy Epsi, it will allow you to load IRs and it's stereo(I just go mono-I think Torpedo is stereo) and it's cheaper, about $200 new.

I, like many others, was hating my tone and all the work and tweaking... and was ready to sell my HD500; until I used the Epsi.  As many agree, the cabs seem to be the weak point.  Once I had the Epsi, it was so much easier to dial in what I wanted. No fizz, no weird, loose bottom end. 

I have the Epsi in my effects loop, that way all my outputs on the HD500 have the IRs.  I go through an Alto ts112 and have one xlr from the HD500 go to the house.

I did a few clips a while back, maybe it might help.

This was my original patch before I got the Epsi

https://soundcloud.com/alphadog808/original-jcm800-patchno-epsi

Then the patch with the cabs off and Epsi on

https://soundcloud.com/alphadog808/jcm800-patch-with-epsi-on

Then I took another forum member's patch and this is his original, no Epsi

https://soundcloud.com/alphadog808/joel-no-epsi

Then I removed his cabs and added the Epsi

https://soundcloud.com/alphadog808/joel-epsi

Note, it's not really the Epsi that makes the difference, it's the IRs that do. I was using Ownhammer ones, but I can't remember which one.  Hope it helps.

Oh, and I think one potential downside of the Epsi is that you won't be able to change cab IRs per patch.  It's more of a choose one IR and roll with it.  Doesn't bother me, but some users want one IR for clean, then one for lead, etc.  I think the torpedo will allow you to change IRs on the fly.

Thanks for the response mauritzSA I will be waiting to see the new device, although I am very intrigued to buy the torpedo cab due to it's abilities and sound.

Thanks alphadog for the contribution, I am well aware of the epsi, but I still want the abilities of the torpedo (eq, mic power amp, cab recording), guess it is worth the money after all!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks alphadog for the contribution, I am well aware of the epsi, but I still want the abilities of the torpedo (eq, mic power amp, cab recording), guess it is worth the money after all!!

I might be wrong, but I believe the ownhammers(at least) have mics and power amp choices.  But yup, no cab recording or eq.