Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

CELESTION G12H90 vs. VINTAGE 30

mtreehugger

I've been wanting to add another speaker to my DT50-112 for some time, and I'm about ready to take action very soon, but I'm not sure which way to go.  The easy option would be to pick up a DT25 bottom from my local music store, which would then give me a total of two G12H90's.  Alternatively, I could save some money if I bought a Vintage 30 cone, then put it, along with the G12H90 currently in my DT, into a spare 2X12 cab I have.  

(This obviously would be kinda weird having the head actually be a combo w/o a speaker, but all I care about is the tone, and I might ultimately pick up a used head on down line to make it all nice and pretty.)

We know that In the DT50 cab and the Dt50-212 they use both rather than one or the other.  I understand that the 2 speakers are similar, but the G12H90 is custom-voiced for line 6.  The Vintage 30 is of course the #1 selling speaker currently.  

Does anybody know what differences might I experience with one versus the other?

Anybody?

THANKS!

I have a DT25 HD with a 2X12 closed back cab with a Vintage 30 and an Eminence Governor.  I think it sounds fantastic.  It is full, rich and loud.  The two speakers complement each other nicely.  I also just built an open back 1X12 and fitted it with another Governor.  The open back cab has a somewhat lighter tone, not as dark but still has good bottom end and fills the room nicely.  I really like the Governor as a single speaker.

I have found the V30 by itself is a little too heavy on the mids for my taste.  I 'm pretty sure you will hear a more honking tone than the G12 with everything else the same.  The V30 is rated at 60 watts so it may break up a little sooner than the G12 as well.  Still it is a well respected speaker.

I also like Warehouse Speakers.  A great little American company with a full range of awesome speakers and a little better pricing.  I am considering getting the Reaper which is rated at 30 watts to put in my 1X12 just to see how it compares with the Governor at 75 watts.  It may not have as much clean headroom but should be sweet in most of the volumes I like to play at.

Changing speakers is probably the single easiest and most effective way to change the tone of your rig.  Not necessarily the cheapest!

Steve

• Upvote 2

I use a DT50112 loaded with a 16 ohm Jenson Jet Tornado and a 212 cab loaded with two more....I run them all parallel on the 4 ohm tap...5.3 ohm load. The slightly high mismatch sounds pretty darn nice. I run my SV112 MK1 and MK2 the same way, only those are loaded with Madison Minstrels....I like them, but they are pretty heavy (rated @ 300 watts)...Jenson Jet Tornados (Neo) are my new fav....and at 4.5 lbs, it helps a bit with the weight too...

I think the GH90 sounds decent enough for an OEM speaker....Not really a Celestion fan for myself as I lean towards EV12L vibe....Not a fan of the V30 at all...It's a great speaker for that "icepick in the forehead" vibe...

• Upvote 1

I have a DT25 HD with a 2X12 closed back cab with a Vintage 30 and an Eminence Governor.  I think it sounds fantastic.  It is full, rich and loud.  The two speakers complement each other nicely.  I also just built an open back 1X12 and fitted it with another Governor.  The open back cab has a somewhat lighter tone, not as dark but still has good bottom end and fills the room nicely.  I really like the Governor as a single speaker.

I have found the V30 by itself is a little too heavy on the mids for my taste.  I 'm pretty sure you will hear a more honking tone than the G12 with everything else the same.  The V30 is rated at 60 watts so it may break up a little sooner than the G12 as well.  Still it is a well respected speaker.

I also like Warehouse Speakers.  A great little American company with a full range of awesome speakers and a little better pricing.  I am considering getting the Reaper which is rated at 30 watts to put in my 1X12 just to see how it compares with the Governor at 75 watts.  It may not have as much clean headroom but should be sweet in most of the volumes I like to play at.

Changing speakers is probably the single easiest and most effective way to change the tone of your rig.  Not necessarily the cheapest!

Steve

Thanks, Steve!  I hadn't thought of a different brand.  Looked at MF and egad, Eminence speakers are getting all 4.8 or better ratings!  The Patriot sub-brand seems to be the most popular.

I've actually got the G12H90 in a Fender closed back cab, paired with a Utah speaker circa 1965 (re-coned).  The Utah adds some high end, and I tend to roll that way, but it doesn't seem to have the balls that the Celestion has.  I mostly feel like I need to tweak the treble down.  Plus it's got less output so I can't hear it much over the G12H90--I'm not feeling like this is a 2x12 just yet.

I use a DT50112 loaded with a 16 ohm Jenson Jet Tornado and a 212 cab loaded with two more....I run them all parallel on the 4 ohm tap...5.3 ohm load. The slightly high mismatch sounds pretty darn nice. I run my SV112 MK1 and MK2 the same way, only those are loaded with Madison Minstrels....I like them, but they are pretty heavy (rated @ 300 watts)...Jenson Jet Tornados (Neo) are my new fav....and at 4.5 lbs, it helps a bit with the weight too...

I think the GH90 sounds decent enough for an OEM speaker....Not really a Celestion fan for myself as I lean towards EV12L vibe....Not a fan of the V30 at all...It's a great speaker for that "icepick in the forehead" vibe...

Wow! Glad I asked! But what exactly is "that icepick in the forehead vibe?" All I know is that I don't think I want any of it. Reminds me of 1950's psychotherapy or something.

what's the deal with impedance mismatching--how far off can one be and get away with it? Also, in your esteemed opinion, is there much difference in tone relative to speaker impedance, i.e. can one hear the difference between a 4, 8, or 16 ohm speaker cab?

Okay, so I wanna sound like Pete Townshend. Better yet, Mick Ronson. Overdriven with crunch, but not mud. Can't do the mud thing. But I don't want to lose that clean Fender sound in voice I of my DT50 either--need that for a lot of stuff, though I could make do with a LITTLE bit of dirty in my clean. I tend to gravitate toward a trebly-scooped kinda tone regardless of gain setting. I thought I'd get where I wanna be with Celestion, but now I'm definitely unsure...

Wow! Glad I asked! But what exactly is "that icepick in the forehead vibe?" All I know is that I don't think I want any of it. Reminds me of 1950's psychotherapy or something.

- refers to the V30 emphasis on upper mids and being a fairly directional speaker.

what's the deal with impedance mismatching--how far off can one be and get away with it? Also, in your esteemed opinion, is there much difference in tone relative to speaker impedance, i.e. can one hear the difference between a 4, 8, or 16 ohm speaker cab?

- not a lot of audible difference between the various ratings.  Lower ohms pull more power from the amp though, but not necessarily higher volume dbs.  You should keep the ohms close to what your amp is rated for, but never go lower than the amp setting.  For example you could use a 6 ohm speaker in a 4 ohm amp but not an 8 ohm amp. 

Okay, so I wanna sound like Pete Townshend. Better yet, Mick Ronson. Overdriven with crunch, but not mud. Can't do the mud thing. But I don't want to lose that clean Fender sound in voice I of my DT50 either--need that for a lot of stuff, though I could make do with a LITTLE bit of dirty in my clean. I tend to gravitate toward a trebly-scooped kinda tone regardless of gain setting. I thought I'd get where I wanna be with Celestion, but now I'm definitely unsure...

- search YouTube.   There are tons of video shootouts between Vintage 30s and all kinds of other speakers.  See what sounds good to you.

• Upvote 1

- refers to the V30 emphasis on upper mids and being a fairly directional speaker.

- not a lot of audible difference between the various ratings.  Lower ohms pull more power from the amp though, but not necessarily higher volume dbs.  You should keep the ohms close to what your amp is rated for, but never go lower than the amp setting.  For example you could use a 6 ohm speaker in a 4 ohm amp but not an 8 ohm amp. 

- search YouTube.   There are tons of video shootouts between Vintage 30s and all kinds of other speakers.  See what sounds good to you.

Those are some danged great answers, Steve!  (and those questions weren't even the ones addressed to you)  After reading, I realize that even with my oem cone, I've encountered the ice pick--and yes, now that I think about it, I felt it in my forehead too!  But I won't mark this as answered just yet...

Are you saying that the V30 would be a bit more of an ice pick than the g12h90?  

So how does your Governor handle cleans?  I'm also interested in the Patriot Cannabis Rex, but the descriptions lead me toward the Governor as being a tad more crunchy... do you concur?

Maybe the icepick is a but of an exaggeration ...

Basically, I find the V30 to be a bit brighter than I would like it to be....There's a "flavor" in the magic 2-3K region that just isn't what I like for myself....Weird thing is that I totally dig listening to guys that use them, just doesn't fit what I like for my own tone if that makes any sense...

- possibly, can't say for sure as I don't have a G12

So how does your Governor handle cleans?  I'm also interested in the Patriot Cannabis Rex, but the descriptions lead me toward the Governor as being a tad more crunchy... do you concur?

- the Governor is great with cleans.  It is rated at 75 watts so with a 25 watt amp or even a 10 watt in Class AB it doesn't really breakup.  May be tested a little more with the DT50 though.  I haven't tried the Rex so can't really say.  check out this shootout.

GH90 is more of a modeling speaker I think....Less color and smoother highs...I think the cab models work better on that speaker...V30 gives some analog. During some of the betas I loaded a 212 cab with a GH90 and V30 and that actually is a very decent combo...

If I had to choose, I would go GH90....I do like the GH90 in the DT25 cab quite a lot....I think it actually sounds better in closed back than open, but that is generally true for most any speaker...

The Jenson Jet Tornado is not mainstream at all, but it's my fav...I have tried a lot of speakers and the 16 ohm tornado was made for the DT50112 IMHO...

http://www.jensentone.com/jet_series/tornado_12

- possibly, can't say for sure as I don't have a G12

- the Governor is great with cleans.  It is rated at 75 watts so with a 25 watt amp or even a 10 watt in Class AB it doesn't really breakup.  May be tested a little more with the DT50 though.  I haven't tried the Rex so can't really say.  check out this shootout.

Can't really tell which speaker is which for most of it, but i think i like the governor better.

in this vid (thanks for the youtube connection, btw) the v30, to my ears, is way more detailed in every test.  the governor seems muffled, subdued, lacking harmonics, etc. this doesn't speak to the combo of both, though...

GH90 is more of a modeling speaker I think....Less color and smoother highs...I think the cab models work better on that speaker...V30 gives some analog. During some of the betas I loaded a 212 cab with a GH90 and V30 and that actually is a very decent combo...

If I had to choose, I would go GH90....I do like the GH90 in the DT25 cab quite a lot....I think it actually sounds better in closed back than open, but that is generally true for most any speaker...

The Jenson Jet Tornado is not mainstream at all, but it's my fav...I have tried a lot of speakers and the 16 ohm tornado was made for the DT50112 IMHO...

that was kinda my intuitive take on the gh90 too.  whatever speaker i get would be added to my current gh90.  line 6 2x12 and 4x12 cabs use both, so i'd been kinda leaning that way as well, which would mean i'd get a v30.  and the youtube above brought me back to that way of thinking because what i heard is mostly what i want more of.  with my dt250-112 i'm very close, so adding a bit more texture would make it perfect, i think.  hmmm--is the jury ready for a verdict, or is there more evidence in the offing?

Hi Mike,

Not much to offer here - I have the 112 and 212 DT50s, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference in tone between them.  The main reason I bought the 212 was because I thought it would sound fuller and deeper than the 112 - I mean, c'mon, two speakers must be better than one, right?  So when I got it, I was surprised that it sounded pretty much the same to me.  Now to be clear, the only time I've heard them side by side is in my bedroom with carpeting at room levels (< 90dB for sure).  I suppose if I got them out into a live venue and did an A-B I could probably hear a difference.  So this is just my experience, for what it's worth.

Good luck!

Randy

Hi Mike,

Not much to offer here - I have the 112 and 212 DT50s, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference in tone between them.  The main reason I bought the 212 was because I thought it would sound fuller and deeper than the 112 - I mean, c'mon, two speakers must be better than one, right?  So when I got it, I was surprised that it sounded pretty much the same to me.  Now to be clear, the only time I've heard them side by side is in my bedroom with carpeting at room levels (< 90dB for sure).  I suppose if I got them out into a live venue and did an A-B I could probably hear a difference.  So this is just my experience, for what it's worth.

Good luck!

Randy

Thanks, Randy!  That's surprising to me.  I recall doing and A/B on spider valve 112 and 212 and the difference floored me!  I was expecting it only to push more air, but the 2x12 was richer and fuller and more complex.

Mike

...Just listened to the clips (on cruddy computer speakers, sadly). It's hard to tell how the Jensen would work in my rig because it's mostly the neck pickup in the clips, and I gravitate toward the bridge. But i'm intrigued. Maybe if I went with a cleaner speaker I could boost the gain a tad to get where I wanna be?

I'm also wondering about pairing a greenback with my g12h90. it's only 25 watts, so it would likely break up more/sooner than a v30. listening to a/b's between v30 and greenback, i couldn't tell them apart. so i'm thinking that if the power rating isn't problematic, the difference in breakup of the greenback would either help or hurt my tone relative to a v30. since i'm going for crunchy townshend/ronson, i'd think it would be helpful.

and what's the difference between the g12h90 and the g12h 70th anniversary model?  wattage, probably, but what about tone?  anybody?

Because i'm a newbie to speaker selection. any help or advice on this aspect, or anything related to me choosing a speaker to compliment my g12h90 would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!

Mike

If a speaker cabinet has (4) 30 watt speakers, can you use a 50 or 100 watt amp to push them or are you restricted to a 30 watt amp?

pretty sure its additive.  4X30=120 so your cab is now rated at 120 watts.

• Upvote 1

This is a good PDF on the Series Vs Parallel Wiring. I always go to this when I'm working on speaker cabinets. http://cie-wc.edu/Series_Parallel_9_14.pdf

Thank you gentlemen. It seems, from a quick look at that pdf, is the watts of handling power is a sum of each speaker either in series or parallel. Hmmm, math, its been a while.

Thank you gentlemen. It seems, from a quick look at that pdf, is the watts of handling power is a sum of each speaker either in series or parallel. Hmmm, math, its been a while.

I hear ya man, It's not often I fool around making, fixing or modding a speaker cabinet so I just use that whenever I need the info so I don't bother trying to remember but the more I look at it throughout my life the more it sticks, lol.

Thinking of it that way will get you to the correct calculation with speakers most of the time, due to how speaker cabs are typically set up. But it's Ohm's law that dictates: E=I*R, (voltage = current times resistance), and also Watts law that power = voltage times current, and also that voltage spreads equally across parallel-connected resistances but proportionally across serial-connected resistances (Ohm again, I believe).

So who gives a rip, you ask? This comes into play If you have speakers of different resistances (ohms) wired together. In series, more power goes to the cone with more ohms. If you wire them in parallel, it's the opposite because you have more current through the lower ohm speaker, and that current is actually the predominant factor (power = current squared times resistance). So in a case like this, some calculations must be made to ensure that EACH CONE is not overpowered. The total power rating of the cab would be dictated by the weakest link, and its percentage of the cab's total resistance.

Also, if the power rating among speakers is unequal, then you gotta look at the lowest power rating and go from there. So in my case if I buy a 25 watt greenback and pair it with the 75 watt (if memory serves) g12h90 speaker, my cab will not rate at 100 watts, it would rate at 50 watts, and that's assuming they're both 8 ohms and they're wired in parallel. If I bought a 16 ohm greenback and wired it in series with my 8 ohm g12h90 i'd blow the 25 watt greenback because I'd be whacking it with 33 watts. If I did that but wired in parallel, then I'd have more power in the g12h90 than the greenback and i'd be safe. Rather, my speakers would be safe--this doesn't speak to matching the ohms of the speakers with the output requirements of my amp (a topic I think best left for another day).

SORRY FOR THE LECTURE! I NEEDED TO DO THAT TO BONE UP ON MY ELECTRONICS SCHOOL 1ST QUARTER THEORY AND SEE IF I COULD STILL REMEMBER.

But as long as you stick to equal resistances AND equal power ratings and a customary wiring scheme, what you say is true.

• Upvote 2

Thinking of it that way will get you to the correct calculation with speakers most of the time, due to how speaker cabs are typically set up. But it's Ohm's law that dictates: E=I*R, (voltage = current times resistance), and also Watts law that power = voltage times current, and also that voltage spreads equally across parallel-connected resistances but proportionally across serial-connected resistances (Ohm again, I believe).

But as long as you stick to equal resistances AND equal power ratings and a customary wiring scheme, what you say is true.

I knew that........LOL. I love it when someone boils it all the way down. It shows how passionate you are about your work. All very good points, Thanks!

I really like having two different speakers in my DT50 2x12 because it gives you more options when micing the speaker.

They do sound very different when close mic'ed.

That being said, I don't hear one vs the other when I'm just playing, but they sure record different or sound different through the PA.

I can't remember which is which but when facing the amp the L speaker is warmer and the R speaker is more mid focused and articulate (to my tin ears at least).

Well, I finally got a chance to listen to my greenback today.  I put it and my G12H90 into my fender bandmaster 212 cab.  except i didn't want to mod the cab, which has 8 studs for each speaker, or my celestions, which have 4 holes each, so i had to make adapter rings.  and then i decided to put in fiberglass.  and while i was at it, i put connectors on the wires so i didn't have to solder.  turned out to be a bigger project than i'd ever imagined, what with the t-nuts and counter-bores and all, but i'm liking it!

with 2 speakers it's much less of a cone blast, with much better dispersal.  the greenback is very, very close to a vintage 30, but in listening to the clips on the celestion website it sounded slightly better to my ear in some cases.  and it costs a tad less, but is only rated at 25 watts.  

i'm now sounding a bit more crunchy and a bit more vintage, which is what i was going for.  I've always preferred the sound of a closed back cab,  I haven't tweaked any patches yet.  I'm  not sure how long it takes to break in a speaker, but if i keep moving in the same direction from where i was originally, it's gonna be real sweet!!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Just plugged my DT50-212 in 4X12 RED COAT EMINENCE cab (I unplugged 2X12 DT50 212 Celestion cable). What a difference in global attack and sound (at any level). Compared to EMINENCE, Celestion set sounds "weak" and without warm  soul compared to Eminence, even in "modelling mode" (master volume control pulled out).

I switched both Celestion speakers for 2 Eminence (Red Coat) in DT and I can really hear the difference, again at any level. So the difference is not only because of 4X12 compared to 2X12 but Eminence really makes a big difference even in 2X12 configuration.

Just plugged my DT50-212 in 4X12 RED COAT EMINENCE cab (I unplugged 2X12 DT50 212 Celestion cable). What a difference in global attack and sound (at any level). Compared to EMINENCE, Celestion set sounds "weak" and without warm  soul compared to Eminence, even in "modelling mode" (master volume control pulled out).

I switched both Celestion speakers for 2 Eminence (Red Coat) in DT and I can really hear the difference, again at any level. So the difference is not only because of 4X12 compared to 2X12 but Eminence really makes a big difference even in 2X12 configuration.

Eminence is reputed to be cleaner than celestion, no?  Sorry I'm, not familiar with the red coats.  Are you going for a cleaner sound?  Personally I can't imagine better sound than my greenback+g12h90, but if it's out there, I wanna know!

Cleaner? If you mean "clean"as all notes sound more natural, I would say yes.

If you mean "clean" as heavy sounds do not sound as fat as with Celestion: think again!

With Celestion, all my presets sounded "correct" but I always felt as if something was missing, never being able to put my finger on it. That's when I plugged my DT50 in 4X12 Eminence CAB that I knew what I was looking for. Clean presets (Blackface, Twin, VOX) sound more natural with more buttom and high notes not being lost (lack of power). When I pluck a chord with clean preset, it really sounds full, not weak as with Celestion. 

Now when switching to more aggressive presets like Treadplate, J800, Ubershall and other rock monsters (or using overdrive/disto pedal) that's where you can hear the real difference. It's a real wall of sounds that is coming out of my amp, not only "aggressive" sound as with Celestion.

I use many alternate tuning (thanks to Godin and GR55, I can switch to any alternate tuning at a flip of a switch :-) ) and playing song in Open D with Eminence moves a lot of air while with Celestion, it sounded more like if I had a bag of marshmallow if front of the amp. For sure 4X12 will always sound plentiful compared to 2X12 but as I mentioned in previous post, just to make sure, I replaced 2X12 Celestion by 2X12 Eminence in my DT50 and it makes a big difference... for me.

But at the end, Celestion, Eminence or any other serious brand, pick the sound that fits your taste. Celestion produces real good stuff (be sure not to buy Chinese version ...) and will please many musicians but I personally prefer what Eminence did for me in my setup.

By the way, if you want to take a look at my setup: http://mididesigner.com/qa/3037/layout-for-podhd500-dt50-nova-system-nova-drive-gr55?show=3037#q3037

• Upvote 1

Please excuse the hijack, but the propose signal chain leaves the option for varied speaker cabs. 

Nice rig. I just received a GR-55/GK-3 and want to integrate it with my Line6 gear. I was thinking about how I was going to set everything up when I read your post. I know little to nothing about the MIDIDesigner and that Line6 adapter for (I guess) an iPad so I thought I would ask you a quick question.

It is my understanding that the HD500X does not send any of the CC messages that are programmed in a patch when you click on a foot switch for a patch change, i.e., you can only send a CC message after you are in the patch. Your MIDIDesigner user interface shows separate links for the GT-55 and HD500X. Is it possible to program one link in MIDIDesigner to send a patch change to both the GT-55 and the HD500X at the same time? I was thinking of setting it up like the picture below.

Please excuse the hijack, but the propose signal chain leaves the option for varied speaker cabs. 

Nice rig. I just received a GR-55/GK-3 and want to integrate it with my Line6 gear. I was thinking about how I was going to set everything up when I read your post. I know little to nothing about the MIDIDesigner and that Line6 adapter for (I guess) an iPad so I thought I would ask you a quick question.

It is my understanding that the HD500X does not send any of the CC messages that are programmed in a patch when you click on a foot switch for a patch change, i.e., you can only send a CC message after you are in the patch. Your MIDIDesigner user interface shows separate links for the GT-55 and HD500X. Is it possible to program one link in MIDIDesigner to send a patch change to both the GT-55 and the HD500X at the same time? I was thinking of setting it up like the picture below.

attachicon.gifRig Setup 2.JPG

Hi,

Answer is YES. In fact MIDI Designer lets you design controls to behave the way you want, so a single control can trigger 2 (or more) sub-controls to control as many MIDI compatible devices as you want. Each sub-control sends its own CC message to its own MIDI channel (each device must be on different MIDI Channel). No conflict, full power. Possibilities are only limited by your imagination. This is a real powerful tool.

I'm not using this mode (1 control ==> Many devices at once) because I hate to have to create many presets on HD500 with same basic amp model hence having "almost the same setup" repeated many times. Instead, I split devices purpose based on what they are the best at (modelling, effects, etc.).

• POD HD500: Selecting AMP models on my DT50. Also, this allows me to run a single AES/BUI to the amp, hence reducing number of instrument cables between all my gears (POD HD being responsible to route audio signal to the amp) which is appreciated on stage :-)
  • NOVA SYSTEM: Since I don't use effects on POD (not as good as on TC Devices), all effects are triggered on this baby.
  • NOVA DRIVE: Full analog OD/DIST and MIDI compatible. Used with "clean amp type (e.g. TWIN, DR-Z, etc.).
  • GR55: Guitar models and types (Acoustic VS Electric) mainly when using alternate tuning. Guitar output is sent to POD HD500 via A/B Box used to select standard guitar source (e.g. my Schecter) OR guitar modelling signal coming from GR55. Not shown on diagram, I also have a second A/B Box to route acoustic signal to consol as AC sounds awful in normal guitar amp. SYNTH OUT is also route to console for the same reason.

So, for example:

I want to play BLACK SEA from The Tea Party:

• Godin LGXT via GR55
  • I select Les Paul in OPEN tuning mode (BLACK SEA is played in OPEN D). Fore sure, A/B Box is set to GR55 as source.
  • I select ENGL 55 as AMP model (doing this, the DT50 will configure its analog components to fit this configuration), Why 55 you ask? Because Drive is set to 55% :-)
  • I select DYN DELAY HARMONY D on NOVA System since I have to use "D Minor Harmony during the second part of the solo.

For another alternate tuning song, let say in DADGAD (Kashmir...) I can simply change GR55 preset by selecting Les Paul DADGAD without having to change anything else on other devices and simply not trigger Harmony on NOVA SYSTEM.

• Upvote 1