Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

magnetic PUs sound brighter and better than the models - pot resistance issue

I noticed that I like the sound of the magnetic PUs of my JTV89 better than the models (firmware 1.82). The models sound a bit dull, I like the shimmering high frequencies of the real pickups better.

When I change the resistance of the volume knob of the models from 250 kOhm to 1 MOhm, the models are getting brighter and are more similiar to the magnetic PUs.

Are there other means to make the sound of the models brighter?

I noticed that I like the sound of the magnetic PUs of my JTV89 better than the models (firmware 1.82). The models sound a bit dull, I like the shimmering high frequencies of the real pickups better.

When I change the resistance of the volume knob of the models from 250 kOhm to 1 MOhm, the models are getting brighter and are more similiar to the magnetic PUs.

Are there other means to make the sound of the models brighter?

That firmware is way behind the curve at this point. You might want to see what you think of the newer models.

• Upvote 1

1.82 uses modeling from 10 years ago on the older Variaxes. The new HD models are brighter. They still have a bit of high roll off than magnetics if you're doing DI, but through an amp, you can't hear it. Give it a try.

This sounds promising! 

My plan is to look in Variaxworkbench and make some notes about the settings of my favorite custom models, update to 2.21 and try to recreate them in the HD Workbench, but just better...;-)