Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2T crackling on low frequencies

Hello all, a couple of weeks ago I purchased an L2T to use as a monitor and for small acoustic gigs.  In general the audio quality is excellent, but there is one major problem that may drive me to abandon the whole line - I have a significant "crackle" that occurs on lower frequencies.  I play standard 6 string acoustic and 7 string electric, with a wide range of tones, and I get this crackle consistently when play anything at or lower than A notes/chords.  This occurs in either clean acoustic sounds, clean electric, or dirty electric.  It occurs when I send the signal through the main input channel from my POD X3 Pro, or when I go in through the channel 1 acoustic channel.  I've tried two guitars and a variety of cable options.

It looks like similar issues have been reported in the past, so I'm hoping someone has a solution.  I'd very much like to keep this speaker, but if this is a design flaw, I'll have to go to another brand.

Is it a crackle or more like a rattle?

There is a known issue with the fan rattling on certain low frequencies. My L2M made a noise like a vibroslap when I strummed an E chord on Variax acoustic models.

I brought it in to an authorized service center and L6 is shipping a redesigned fan.

It is minor annoyance because the rattle is not noticeable most of the time.

Nope, it's definitely not mechanical. It sounds like a loose/bad cable. If I hadn't tried several, I'd still think that's what the problem is.

It seems odd that the kind of electronic crackle you're describing would only occur with certain frequencies. Symptoms associated with only certain frequencies (especially on the low end) are almost always caused by something vibrating that shouldn't be...I've had the aforementioned fan-rattle with my L2T, and a similar issue with a rattling brace inside a Marshall 4x12 years ago.

I'd be very suspicious of the fan...even if it seems like something else. Aim it away from you and listen behind the fan vents as you play some of the offending notes...if it is the fan, it should become more obvious when you're right on top of it.

Is it the badge vibrating? (the badge can be turned around)

Another possibility might be that you have something loose inside the speaker grill that is being shaken.

I am presuming that it happens in several different rooms and isn't just something in one room vibrating in sympathy

I don't think it's the badge.  The sound is much more electronic in nature than comes across in the recording.  It's sounds very much like crackling static.  I'm going to take the grill off and see if there's anything in there.  I've also read some posts about internal cables rattling against the speaker.

OK, more to report.  Strong evidence it's a mechanical issue.  I previously had the speaker mounted vertically on a pole.  I moved it to the floor in horizontal mode and was unable to reproduce the problem.  I'm going to play with it some more after work.

OK, more to report. Strong evidence it's a mechanical issue. I previously had the speaker mounted vertically on a pole. I moved it to the floor in horizontal mode and was unable to reproduce the problem. I'm going to play with it some more after work.

Something on the pole rattling, perhaps?

Here's a short video of the L2 rattle that I've had. I strummed an E chord on a Variax acoustic setting since that is when it is the most audible. I was filming, strumming, and moving the L2 to get at the back better, so some of the buzz is me mis-fretting the chord....but as I get to the fan better, you can hear the rattle snake jump out!

The local service center has a fan on order from Line 6. Hoping that takes care of it!

Rattle L2.MOV

Here's a short video of the L2 rattle that I've had. I strummed an E chord on a Variax acoustic setting since that is when it is the most audible. I was filming, strumming, and moving the L2 to get at the back better, so some of the buzz is me mis-fretting the chord....but as I get to the fan better, you can hear the rattle snake jump out!

The local service center has a fan on order from Line 6. Hoping that takes care of it!

Yeah...it's a nasty sound. There are obviously a lot of units out there with the original fan assembly. Mine had to be replaced twice. 1st attempt at my local "authorized service center" didn't work. 2nd time it made a cross-country trip back to the mothership, and that repair seems to be holding so far.

• 3 weeks later...