Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X + L2M, green light near volume pot, becomes red

giallanon

Hello, I've noticed that sometimes, when volume is high, let green led near the master volume of L2M becomes orange and sometimes even red.

I guess it's not a good sign, but I've found nothing on the manual.

This happens when I raise the volume.

I mean, with pod master volume at 100%, and L2M ad 30%, it's green. Raising L2M to 50%, become orange/red (only when I star play).

The sound I hear from L2M seems to change whenever the light goes from green to orange/red.

What does it means? Am I pushing it too hard?

Thank you

I guess you're right, since the sound change a lot when the light turns orange/red.

Anyway, I don't understand why it happens.

While keeping the pod at the same volume/master volume, if I rasise the L2M volume eventually the limiter will kick in.

I mean, keeping the input constant (ie the pod) while raising the L2M output should not be a problem, I should be able to raise the volume up to 100%.

I think 50% is the max value I can reach before starting to see the orange lights.

Anyway, I don't understand why it happens.

While keeping the pod at the same volume/master volume, if I rasise the L2M volume eventually the limiter will kick in.

I mean, keeping the input constant (ie the pod) while raising the L2M output should not be a problem, I should be able to raise the volume up to 100%.

Every amp on earth can be pushed too hard, though not all are equipped with a handy flashing light to warn you when you're about to blow it up. Limiting circuits likewise, can only do so much. Maxing out master volume is never a good idea, especially the output stage. All speakers can be blown...on the L2's, the first casualty will probably be the high frequency driver. Plus, these things are loud as f$!#, anyway. You're not gonna need it.

I'd dial back the master volume on the POD, if for no other reason than that it's a pain in the arse to have to wrap your arm around the back of the L2 every time you want to adjust your volume. Set the L2's master volume at 12 o'clock, and adjust the POD'S master volume as needed.

Usually I set the L2M on 30% and it's already very loud but, yesterday, we went to a new rehearsal room and, for some reason, I had to push it up to 70% and still I was barely audible.

It was at 70% that I noticed the red light for the first time.

Guess we better go back to previous rehearsal :)

Usually I set the L2M on 30% and it's already very loud but, yesterday, we went to a new rehearsal room and, for some reason, I had to push it up to 70% and still I was barely audible.

It was at 70% that I noticed the red light for the first time.

Guess we better go back to previous rehearsal :)

You could try running the POD straight to the PA, and just use the L2 as a floor monitor. You probably won't have to push it as hard that way. I've been running this way for a while now, works great.

Here's what I do for determining where to set my master volume of the Pod: 

1. I have an mp3 player (you can use your phone). First, I use it with headphones to determine an acceptable volume (which is really just a one time thing per device) -- I can hear it. It doesn't blow out my eardrums. It doesn't distort. ETC. 

2. I then, without changing the volume setting of the mp3 player, plug the mp3 player into the mp3 input of my Pod. The volume from the mp3 input is not affected by the Pod's master volume, so what you hear coming through the Pod is literally the same signal you had coming out of the headphones.

3. I then try to get my Pod's master volume to the point where it is a match for the mp3 volume.

If you do this, then you know that you aren't driving too much signal into your chosen device.  

To close this thread, here's a video of the show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvztZMMqpOU

It was filmed with a mobile phone, so quality is not excellent but you get the idea; the sound you hear is no different from a standard guitar amp (IMHO) and it's 100% HD500X throught local PA.

I had the L2M as a monitor on stage (you can see on my left, over a keyboard stand in the dark).

• Upvote 1